To upgrade or not to upgrade?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by adamwsh, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Jun 7, 2011 #1 of 17
    adamwsh

adamwsh Member

Oct 22, 2002
    I have a TivoHD with an Pipeline HD ST31000322CS 1TB drive that I installed in January 2010. It is now making a clicking noise. (It doesn't seem to be affecting the performance, however.)

So, I'm guessing the drive is about to fail. Which leads me to the need to decide if I should buy a replacement drive (again) for $74 (from Amazon) or buy a new Premiere for $83 (from Amazon).

3 Cons for buying the Premiere:
    1) Less storage space
    2) Lose my current settings and recordings
    3) Will cost me $5 more per month (or have to buy the $399 lifetime sub)

Other than having the latest and greatest Tivo, I'm not sure why switching to the Premiere would be beneficial to me. I'm leaning toward buying a new 1TB drive for my TivoHD.

I'd love to know others thoughts on this.

Thanks!

2. Jun 7, 2011 #2 of 17
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Surely the drive is still under warranty, so the cost to replace the drive should be minimal?

3. Jun 7, 2011 #3 of 17
    adamwsh

adamwsh Member

Oct 22, 2002
    It does seem to have a 3 year warranty, but if I went that route I'd certainly lose my settings and recordings, plus be without a working Tivo for however long it takes to get the drive to Segate and a new one back.

Since it still seems to work, if I bought a new drive, I could copy everything over (as long as it stays working).

4. Jun 7, 2011 #4 of 17
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    There may be alternatives. You can transfer non-flagged shows to pc.

You might check with Seagate on what your options are in getting a warranty replacement. I don't know if they still do it, but I have read of some manufacturers that will send you a replacement before you send in the broken one. They might preauthorize a credit card until they receive the broken unit. Or they may charge you for the drive they send, then apply a credit back to you when they receive they broken drive.

Just to let you know.

Good luck.

5. Jun 7, 2011 #5 of 17
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You can get a 1TB drive for about $50*

Grab one somewhere, dd_rescue your TiVo drive to it, take the pressure off.

*Newegg has a 1 TB Caviar Blue for $49.99 for another 35 hours as of now

6. Jun 7, 2011 #6 of 17
    adamwsh

adamwsh Member

Oct 22, 2002
    I thought I had to stick with the "official list of compatible drives"

Code:
    [b][u]Make   [/u]  [u]Model    [/u]    [u]Size [/u]  [u]Part #         [/u]   [u]Noise (10=Best)[/u][/b]
    Hitachi  Cinemastar  1000GB  HCS721010KLA332         7
    [COLOR="Red"]Hitachi  Cinemastar  1000GB  HCS721010KLA330         7[/color]
    Hitachi  Deskstar    1000GB  HD31000                 [jumpto=AAM]7*[/jumpto]
    [COLOR="Red"]Hitachi  Deskstar    1000GB  HDT721010SLA360         [jumpto=AAM]7*[/jumpto][/color]
    Seagate  Pipeline     500GB  ST3500321CS             7
    Seagate  Pipeline     500GB  ST3500414CS             9
    Seagate  Pipeline    1000GB  ST31000533CS            5
    Seagate  Pipeline    1000GB  ST31000322CS            6
    WD       AV           500GB  WD5000AVJS              8
    [COLOR="Red"]WD       AV-GP       1000GB  WD10EVCS               10[/COLOR]

Drives [COLOR="Red"]highlighted in red[/color] are discontinued.

For subjective noise rating, 10=best, 1=worst, and 9=original drive. 
    Noise ratings marked with * assume that AAM is enabled and set to 128, as
    described in [jumpto=aam]this FAQ[/jumpto]. There will be some small variance from part to part.

The WD10EVVS was removed from the list on October 10, because versions of
    that drive manufactured after September 18 are not fully compatible.  Drives
    manufactured prior to September 19 work fine.  Refer to the FAQ below.

The WD10EVDS was removed from the list on December 26, because versions of
    that drive manufactured after November 2? are not fully compatible.  Drives
    manufactured prior to November work fine.  Refer to the FAQ below.

7. Jun 7, 2011 #7 of 17
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That list is 4 years old and there are another 255 pages in that thread that have come about since as the result of people sharing their experiences with other drives. (Read them. I have, and even though I have nothing newer than a Series 2, I've learned from them)

I wasn't specifically recommending that Caviar Blue (although as far as I know they'll work fine in everything post Series 1), it was just an example of a $50 1TB.

The point is that 1TB drives aren't quite the huge investment they used to be, and if you "clone" your current 1TB TiVo drive (which you need to do right now if it's going bad), you can relax and take your time deciding what to do next, go with a Premiere or put a 2TB in your S3 or whatever, and if you wind up with an extra 1TB drive you can always put it in a computer or an external case for extra storage.

By the way, are you sure the clicking noise is the hard drive? Could something be hitting the fan blades? Could something in the power supply be going bad?

8. Jun 7, 2011 #8 of 17
    adamwsh

adamwsh Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Thanks for the detailed reply!

I assumed someone was keeping the top of that thread up to date. Guess I was wrong.

About 2 weeks ago, I opened the case to put some rubber grommets on the feet of the drive mounting. Everything was fine, and it was almost silent compared to the constant drive noise (usual operational noise any drive might make). A few days ago it started making the clicking noise. Now that you mention it, I do wonder if something is hitting the fan blade. I'll have to crack it open tonight to take a look. If that turns up as not the issue, I guess I'll be looking up how to clone my drive.

I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks again!

9. Jun 7, 2011 #9 of 17
    adamwsh

adamwsh Member

Oct 22, 2002
    It is not the fan. It is definitely the drive.

I can not find any information (via Google) on how to backup the entire drive (settings, shows, etc) to a file on an existing drive on my windows PC. Is there such a method out there?

10. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    No, you have to copy the drive to another drive bit by bit, the TP upgrade system can do this copy with a easy menu or you can use dd_rescue.

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It's a 1TB drive. You'll need a large partition to do

backup -Tao

with the MFS Live cd v1.4

and I'm guessing it'll need to be a Linux partition, like ext2 or ext3, 'cause I'm pretty sure MFS Live doesn't speak NTFS.

It does speak FAT32, but you can't have a file bigger than 4GB in FAT32, and a 1TB drive full of shows isn't going to compress down to a 4GB file.

WinMFS might be able to read and write to NT partitions, but WinMFS only does truncated backup files, as best I can tell, although I think you can "clone" to another hard drive of equal or greater size with it.

12. adamwsh

adamwsh Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Ok, so it looks like I need to find a new drive, fast. Since you're saying the list I saw was out of date, do you know where there is a current list of good drives?

You mentioned the 1TB Caviar Blue. What's the difference between the Blue, Black, Green, etc?

Thanks for your help!

13. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The Black is the most expensive and has a 5 year warranty, the Blues and Greens have a 3 year.

The Greens are supposed to save power by spinning more slowly (although still plenty fast for use in a TiVo), and some of them have needed "adjustments" to features like going into "sleep mode" in order to work properly in a TiVo.

You really need to read the rest of that thread you looked at the first page of, or post at the end of it and hope richsadams sees your post and answers. He's sort of the inhouse expert. In your post, indicate what you've got in the way of local stores if you don't want to wait for mail order.

EDIT:

You don't have to use a Western Digital, others have had success with other brands, as a reading of that entire thead would have shown.

14. adamwsh

adamwsh Member

Oct 22, 2002
    I get what you're saying about reading that thread, but I don't enough time in a day, or even a week to read that entire thread. Perhaps I'll post at the end and hope for the best.

Thanks again!

15. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I used to recommend people switch to the Premiere, but lately I've started recommending against it after the latest issues with HDUI remote lockups, the reboot problems, etc. The box is just too much trouble. Save yourself some money and fix the drive in your THD instead, as others have suggested. Think again about upgrading in another year if they finish the box and/or fix the bugs.

16. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    What is this TP upgrade system with an easy menu of which you speak?

17. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT