To update or not to update

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ninjagator, Apr 17, 2009.

1. ninjagator

ninjagator New Member

Aug 10, 2003

Advertisements

I have a HR 10-250 that has not made a call in 1599 days. Thats 4 years 4+ months. I was thinking of doing an update. My wife wants all the shows put into folders like on our SD Directivo.

Are the updates good/ bad/ stable???

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    I've had zero issues with the latest v6.4a software.

I don't think that this software is currently in the satellite stream, though, so it make take several phone calls over several days for your Tivo to download that software.

3. WaldorfSalad

WaldorfSalad New Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Wow, you got me beat! I'm at 1,000 days without a call and still at 3.1.5f for my HR10-250 and pondering letting it update to to v6.whatever, especially now the odd behaviors have gone away since I replaced the power supply.

4. ninjagator

ninjagator New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    What odd Behaviors? O found it at the other post.

5. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004

Advertisements

I moved one to v6.4 from 3.1.5. My goal was to eliminate spontaneous reboots (admittedly a desperation move, which did not pay off). It now does not FFW correctly on content from NBC (stays in play mode for 2 secs then freezes). Slo-mo is also not working correctly. My 3.1 box still FFWs and slo-mos fine, on the very same content.

6. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...
    I still have one of my HR10s on 3.1.5 and since my wife also likes folders I allow the other to update - no issues with either software lately.

However, she has almost stopped using the HR10 since I added a HR20 (even though she complains about it constantly) but that is another story....

7. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    have you deleted your messages in your inbox? i hope so!

8. KSbugeater

KSbugeater Moved on to HR2x

Jan 26, 2006
    Royals country
    I have over 1000; what happens if you don't? I haven't noticed any effect on performance.

9. temp357

temp357 New Member

Feb 18, 2004
    Mine doesn't lock up on 6.4a but I do get spontaneous reboots when the picture signal is not good. I also get error messages saying to activate my dvr service. A reboot usually fixes everything.

10. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i dont know if it's this machine, but i'm positive 'some' directv machine locks up if you let that many messages pile up. Id have to search on here to figure out which one

11. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    That problem was fixed in a recent software upate .... one of the v6.2 releases I think, and for sure in latest v6.4a.

12. WaldorfSalad

WaldorfSalad New Member

Nov 28, 2008
    I'm still at 3.1.5f and have been disconnected from the phone line for almost 1,000 days so I get the messages. I've found that if I let the messages pile up the performance deteriorates so I'm in the habit of deleting them every 2-4 weeks.

13. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    so basically if you want the problem fixed you need to update :eek:

14. KSbugeater

KSbugeater Moved on to HR2x

Jan 26, 2006
    Royals country
    Again, I haven't noticed any effect on performance. Sometimes it's slow to respond, but that's been the case since it was new. Sometimes there are spontaneous reboots, but I think there may be a bad sector on the HD since it flares up and goes away. In other words, there are no problems that haven't been with me since the very expensive beginning.

I have no desire to manually delete 1000+ messages. I also am not ready to switch to 6.4a, due to concerns about the HD failing when it uses those "untouched" sectors. Back to blissful ignorance, I go. ;)