To Tell The Truth ( 1st episode)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TIVO_GUY_HERE, Jun 15, 2016.

1. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas

Advertisements

Redoing of classic game show.

I got to say one of the more boring classic game shows.

So guess Betty White is on just for her sexual zingers, which get's old pretty fast.

And now being shown in the age of the internet, as soon as I heard contestants name, I googled it, saw picture of the real person...blah blah blah...

Ya I know that's cheating, but I don't think I could of gotten through watching it otherwise.

I didn't catch what the contestants won for each wrong guess made.

Hope Match Game and Pyramid which are coming up are better.

2. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    So, you spoiled yourself.

3. TIVO_GUY_HERE

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Wouldn't be the... nevermind.. :)

4. Satchel

Satchel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Just awful...we watched two rounds and turned it off...they had the voice of Siri...she spoke about three short sentences...they edited those rounds down so much...some of those guests only answered one question each and they were finished...they're trying to make it go too fast.

And the mom of the host as the sidekick is just wasting time...she wasn't funny.

Bye bye

5. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...

Advertisements

I saw a live taping of the original in nyc in the late sixties.

6. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I made it through the first two rounds and stopped. Horrible.
    I was surprised how fast the rounds were. I think the first round finished just 6 minutes into the show, and that 6 minutes even included the game and panelist introductions. I was just a kid, but I kinda remember the original only had two rounds per a whole half hour? I guess they're trying to cater to the 21st century's short attention spans.

7. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Thank you!! I keep telling my wife that Betty White's comments are getting VERY old, but my wife does not notice that she turns EVERYTHING into a sexual comment that she thinks is a joke!

8. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    It definitely used to be more of a cerebral chess game where the audience could play along. This new version rushes through the round so fast that all contestants don't get equal time, and one seems to get only one or two questions. I don't know how anyone can draw an intelligent conclusion from that and as proof I'll bet the panelists were only correct not far from a just picking at random one-third of the time.

9. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I am a big fan of the original TO TELL THE TRUTH.
    I did not think the reboot is as bad as some have said - I thought it would be a lot worse.
    They would have been better off with a half hour format though.

10. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    All these bad reviews are making want to watch this in the same way they do those all time worst sci-fi movie festivals. (you know, in a Plan 9 from Outer Space way)

11. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Trust me, having watched the last 30 minutes of the first episode, you DON'T want to watch this drivel!

12. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    ...and the 2nd episode...how rude was Mike T.!!! Did he think he was cool and funny? My wife thought that he just did not understand what was going on.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  13. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I haven't watched this, but was a fan of the original. Usually the rehashing of these old game shows don't work because they were a product of their times.

As for Betty White. I don't get the love affair with her. That's her whole shtick, and has been for years. Tell jokes with sexual innuendo. I guess people love feisty old ladies. For me it's meh.

14. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    She is the last of a generation. #respect
    Probably the best thing in the first episode was the Betty White TTTT montage.
    I can't think of anyone who dates back to the early days of television.
    Maybe Carol Burnett but she doesn't seem to be as out there in popular culture in 2016 as Betty is..

15. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    So just because she dates back to early TV means I have to love her schtick? She goes on all these shows, tells some off color (probably scripted) joke and people laugh as if she's the queen of comedy? OK...whatever. I do respect what she's doing, doesn't mean I have to think she's even remotely funny.

16. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    Lots of comedians have a particular schtick that some people think is funny and some people don't. Gallagher smashes watermelons, Don Rickles insults people, Betty White does sexual innuendo, etc.. Some people find certain schtick funny, some don't. /shrug

17. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Word is that ABC's upcoming revivals of "The $100,000 Pyramid" and "Match Game" are much better done than this revival ("Pyramid" in particular).

18. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I hope so-those are two of my all time favorites and the recent reboots of both have been disappointing IMHO...

I recall in particular the recent syndicated version of Pyramid hosted by Donny Osmond...in one final round the category was "Nations in Europe" and the celebrity was giving clues such as France, England, Germany...and the contestant guessed "Countries in Europe" and they would not give it to him.
    They wanted the exact word "Nations." Now come on! That is just crazy, IMHO. I stopped watching after that.

The recent Match Game reboot was raunchy and not funny like the old days..hopefully it's not that way this time.

19. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    We wish they would try What's My Line again. That should be good.

20. TIVO_GUY_HERE

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I'd like to see Password. Like the original, not that train-wreak Regis hosted years ago.