To Be Announced on guide for many channels and terrible customer service

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by patrick2099, Jun 17, 2018.

1. patrick2099

patrick2099 Member

Dec 15, 2013

Advertisements

A few days ago, I received a message on my Tivo, for a channel lineup change. Typically, this is a channel or two being added or deleted. However, this time it was about 70 channels. I thought this was odd, as I didn't receive anything from my cable provider, concerning this.

I went into the channel configuration, and tried to add some of the deleted channels back. I could then tune to these channels, but the guide said "To be announced" for every time, on every channel that had been deleted.

I tried hard power cycling the Tivo, reconnecting to the service, and doing the guided setup again. None of these fixed the issue. I also noticed that the guide info on tvguide.com was missing the same channels as the Tivo, while other sources, such as Zap2It were correct.

I first tried to contact Tivo support using the online chat. They were unable to even begin to assist me, and immediately suggested I call the support phone number. Why have support chat if you can't use it for support?

I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with a Tivo customer service person. Eventually, she said that it was a lineup problem and it would take 7-10 days to fix. My Tivo is basically unusable now, as it won't record any of the shows I have set up to record on any of these channels. I know I can go set up manual recordings for everything I'm going to miss, but that is a huge hassle.

It took Tivo one day to break this, and now my Tivo is going to be worthless for up to ten days. That is terrible customer service!

Has anyone else gotten this issue resolved in a reasonable amount of time?

2. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    TiVo guide problems... you've done all you can do and you are at the mercy of the Lineup Department who may resolve your issue but usually not in a reasonable time frame.

3. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i've seen issues like this resolved within 3 days, but i suggest you stay on top of it, and don't let them drag their feet (which means a daily follow-up call until it's resolved).

4. patrick2099

patrick2099 Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Good idea, @NorthAlabama! I'll call back tomorrow to check the status.

5. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005

Advertisements

And if you have the energy and are on a non-Lifetime subscription, you also could put in a request for a rebate on your monthly subscription charge. ;)

6. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Resolved in 3 days SINCE the ROVI takeover?

7. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    yes - wouldn't have said it otherwise. ;)

8. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    I envy your success receiving timely guide/lineup resolutions. I have not been so fortunate.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  9. patrick2099

patrick2099 Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Thanks for the suggestion. I would do this, but I already paid for the lifetime plan. I will be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, but I'm not sure on what options, if any, I have for recouping any money.

10. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    A BBB complaint is a waste of your time.

Go to TiVo Corp. Legal Center

Read: Informal Dispute Resolution.

Send an email detailing your complaint and the steps you've taken and what you want to disputenotice@tivo.com
    Include your contact info and TiVo account info.

You should get a phone call from someone in the Executive Resolution Team in a day or two... or at least that's how it worked with my notice of dispute.

Mikeguy likes this.
  11. patrick2099

patrick2099 Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Thanks for the suggestion. Doing it now.

12. patrick2099

patrick2099 Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Received the following trying to email disputenotice@tivo.com :

Your message to the group Legal2@tivo.com couldn't be delivered.
    The group Legal2 only accepts messages from people on its allowed senders list, and your email address isn't on the list.

13. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Interesting... call customer service and demand to speak to a supervisor. The agent will rope-a-dope and not want to connect to a supervisor but be polite and persistent. Tell them you intend to file a notice dispute as outlined in the current user agreement but the email address in the user agreement is blocked. If they won't help you then Google to find the phone number of the corporate offices and call them. Ask to speak to the legal department or Executive Resolution department.

If that doesn't work them demand to speak to someone at the executive level and inform them that you are filing a small claims case in your local court since their procedure as outlined in the current user agreement is inoperative and prevents you from notifying TiVo of notice of dispute to seek redress.

Refer them to the link with the current (new) user agreement and the Notice of Dispute paragraph specifying the procedure for Notice of Dispute and the blocked email address.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    tim1724, tarheelblue32 and Mikeguy like this.
  14. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    And please let us know the results . . . .

15. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    There is the possibility that they don't know the email address is blocked.

For sure please do because they can't take away our right to redress that is specifically defined in the old and the new user agreement by blocking the email address they specify as the procedure to file a notice of dispute.

16. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    And dare I guess but, most likely the case. Ah, websites and outdated links/email addresses . . . .

17. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Might be too much to expect that TiVo proof read the new May 2018 user agreement before posting it.

Especially the paragraph that outline our right to dispute which they are legally obligated to detail.

18. patrick2099

patrick2099 Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Well, that wouldn't surprise me, because they don't even check guide changes that completely break Tivo's intended functionality.

I will have to file another service ticket about that email address not working, when I get home from work. I didn't get a chance to call them yesterday. Hopefully I get home at a decent time tonight, so I can talk to someone on the phone.

19. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    If you're trying to call corporate do it during California business hours.

20. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    You might send a message to Tivo_Ted on this forum and see if he can help.