TiVoWebPlus Installation for Newbie

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by meingraham, Jan 18, 2009.

1. meingraham

meingraham New Member

Jan 10, 2008

Advertisements

Background... Over the past few weeks, my TiVo (TiVo HD) has been locking up requiring pulling the power cord and powering back up. Tonight it would get hung at "almost there". I researched the web and found the kick start procedure. Did a 57, then a 58 and my TiVo came back to life. So it scared me that I have no means to save of my SP, Showcases, etc. So I stumble on TWP. I'm a fairly knowledgeable computer guy (in the bidness for nearly 30 years w/ Unix, network, VMS, Windows, etc.). I admit, I've never done Linux. But I'm willing to try.

The problem I'm having w/ the TWP installation is that it starts at a point where it instructs to create a new directory on the TiVo. Well, I don't even know how to do THAT. I've looked to see if there's a way to telnet into an unhacked TiVo. Or if there's a web server I can connect to. I know how to find the TiVo's IP address, MAC, etc. I need some hand holding.

Do I have to crack open the TiVo to do this? Do I need a spare drive? Can I connect a drive to the TiVo USB port? Is it possible to put this boot image on a USB thumb drive?

Help! I don't want to loose all of my TiVo setup if my hard drive dies.

2. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    You cannot hack a TivoHD without doing a prom mod (hardware modification). The tivoHD will overwrite any hacks without it.

3. meingraham

meingraham New Member

Jan 10, 2008
    I found information on the telnet port 31339 (TiVo Remote) and the http TiVoConnect web service. Can either of these be used to navigate to the Season Pass "folder" and dump a listing?

4. meingraham

meingraham New Member

Jan 10, 2008
    bengalfreak - Even if I had to reload the hack each time - similar, but perhaps more involved, as having to enter SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-9-SELECT every time TiVo reboots. Each time I want to make a backup I could hack TiVo, get the setup, and then come what may of the hack. I'm disinclined to mess w/ the hardware as it come to soldering/cutting/etc.

5. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR

Advertisements

There is no way to do what you want to do without modifying the prom. Without the modified prom, the TiVo will reload its stock software when it boots up. Any changes you made to the software system would be lost as soon as you turned it on.