TIvoToGo

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by mrjam2jab, Sep 12, 2007.

1. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA

Advertisements

So since the upgrade 2 upgrades ago...i have been unable to watch anything recorded on tivo and transferred to the PC. Upgraded last night to 2.5 i noticed somewhere that Desktop required Quicktime 7.2...or whatever the newest version is. I have 7.0...wonder if this is my problem?

Another issue is that i cant seem to update my Quicktime...the old version wont go away... :confused:

2. hutchca

hutchca New Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Santa Rosa, CA
    The Quicktime requirement is only to allow transfer and transcoding of Quicktime content.
    TiVo Desktop should function just fine without Quicktime installed.

What exactly is the problem?
    You can't watch the .tivo files on your PC?
    Check to make sure you have the correct Media Access Key configured in TiVo Desktop.

You can't transfer shows back from the PC to the TiVo?
    Make sure you have the necessary opening in your firewall.

3. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA

So then i dont really need Quicktime? Well thats good...solves that problem.

Correct...cant watch .tivo on PC...If MAK were the problem would transfers even work? I can transfer Tivo-->PC-->Tivo no problem.

4. hutchca

hutchca New Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Well, in that case it sounds like a Codec problem.

What player are you using? I think only Windows Media Player version 10 or higher is supported. Other players won't work due to the encryption.
    What are the symptoms?
    Do you get a black screen? File just won't open? Error message?

5. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA

Advertisements

Media Player 11....black video....audio works just fine.

6. hutchca

hutchca New Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Santa Rosa, CA
    It definitely sounds like a Codec issue.

There are some programs available that allow you to adjust which codecs are used to playback different video formats.
    I don't know offhand though what tools to suggest.

I can tell you that when I play back a .tivo file in WMP 11, it uses the MainConcept Audio Decoder and Elecard ImageScaler for Video. On a different PC it's using MainConcept Color Space Converter for Video.

If you right click on the Program Name in the Now Playing pane in WMPLayer and select Properties it will list the codecs being used.
    What is yours showing?

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable here can offer some advice for correcting the codec.

7. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA
    here's what mine is showing...

Audio: Ligos MPEG Audio Decoder
    Video: Sonic Cinemaster® DS Video Decoder