TivoToGo soon? 'Tivo Lite' launching tomorrow?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dig_duggler, Jul 23, 2007.

1. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    From Engadget :

"Oh, and big time bonus for current users: TiVoToGo is on track to finally be re-enabled on Series3 boxes, but there's a fairly huge caveat: SD shows only, HD shows will have to stay safely stowed on the box. Bummer."

Much more on the 'Tivo HD' (commonly referred to as Tivo Lite) there as well, including speculating it launches w/in a week (and maybe even as early as tomorrow), eSATA and phasing out the s2.

*Edited for clarity.

2. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    If true, TTG is a little more than I was expecting (not just restricted to analog from the speculation).

3. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina
    Excellent! When is the next Best Buy 10%-12% coupon weekend?

4. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    I like the Tivo Lite... TivoToGo is useless without HD support since all I watch is HD programming.

Oh welll. Can't have everything! LOL

TexasGrillChef

5. minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
    One thing that stinks about this, if true, is all the shows that are filmed in 4:3 SD but broadcast at 720p or 1080i. TiVo probably won't be able to distinguish between real 16:9 HD programs and side-barred SD programs, and lock down the side-barred SD programs too. I guess about 95% of the channels I watch are broadcast 24/7 at 720p or 1080i. (I'm over-the-air only.)

All I really want is TiVoComeBack anyways -- and wish TiVo would create an official term for that functionality.

6. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
  7. yunlin12

yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Would TTG on S3 include MRV to a S2 box?

8. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I would be surprised if ANY digital content will be allowed to be TTG'd. :( (I know they say SD in the article, but I'll believe that when I see it...)

9. HDTiVo

Nov 27, 2002
    More interest in TTG/MRV than the new box.

Hmmmmm... :confused:

See you at midnight. :)

10. Test

Test Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2004
    I read the thing on engadget and didn't see anything about MRV, I guess it makes sense if they enable TTG there shouldnt be aproblem with MRV

I think the excitement (or interest) is getting back features that were lost in the "upgrade" for an HD BOX...

edit: I'm going to read your link now

11. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    TTG with no HD support is useless to me. All the HD I record I record OTA and I should not have to be restricted by CableLabs for that content. That's total crap.

12. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    What's the point of MRV and TTG if it only works with SD programs? Seems like a huge waste to me. I tape a huge percentage of my shows in HD why can't the Tivo just downconvert them to 480p for TTG or MRV and still let us view them?

13. HDTiVo

Nov 27, 2002
    The link leads you to the AP story which is a more reliable source. It doesn't mention MRV/TTG either. So who knows?

I think there is a substantial pent up demand for TiVo boxes pending the enabling of (S3) transfers, which obviously varies with what is/isn't enabled.

14. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Minckster.....

The TivoToGo will go on the Copy flag that is sent out over Digital/HD programming. Any SD programing sent out on OTA even though broadcast at 720p or 1080i (upscaled) shouldn't have their Copy flag set.

However, your local stations could possibly set those copy flags. On Analog / Digital cable. SD programs don't have their copy flag set.

Thus the point being that if you use OTA while you should be able to TivoToGo anything and everything you want. Because of the 2-17-09 deadline you might not be able to TivoToGo anything OTA at all.

one of those strange but true things...

TexasGrillChef

15. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area

If it does launch on the tivo web site tomorrow, let's hope they have the ordering snafus that screwed up the S3 launch all sorted out.

16. cgould

cgould Member

Dec 28, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Because Tivos have a very small CPU and RAM set; most heavy lifting is done by the encoder/decoder chipsets.
    HD MPG2 to SD MPG2 transcoding would likely overwhelm the box. It's slow enough on a "real" Intel PC...

For MRV at least you'd have to either block, or transcode, shows recorded in file formats that other box HW (Series2) would not support. Doubt that transcoding is likely.
    However MRV of supported formats could work.
    For TTG, the PC and TivoDesktopPlus could (and should) do any needed transcoding, since the destination playback format is unclear (the desktop itself- HD OK; DVD- downgrade to SD; mobile- reencode to 3GP/Mp4 etc..)
    - but as others have noted, for both MRV/TTG, the limitation is likely to be "copy" flags not just HD or not.

There are technical limitations for HD transfer, noted above mostly for MRV;
    there are "DRM/provider panic" limitations for digital content, which (we hope) would use the "copy once/never" flags instead of just usual provider "ack we can't let HD quality stuff out of the box/into the wild internets" (which actually unfortunately is likely...eg, why can't I even upconvert bought DVDs to 1080i over component, or view HD movies on PC via analog component...)

17. cgould

cgould Member

Dec 28, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    PS re the TTG (hopefully coming soon) change- anyone noticed that the "allow transfers" box for S3s, on "manage my DVR/preferences", went from the "inactive/non-saved checkbox", to "N/A" now?
    Is that recent? You'd think it would go the other way but :(

18. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Exactly. I too only record OTA, which CableLabs shouldn't have any influence over. I guess we'll see how it turns out.

19. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Good catch - maybe it's a good sign that they are monkeying with the code.

It would stand to reason that the first thing that we're going to see is the software with the restrictions on what can and cannot be transferred to show up first, right?

20. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The TivoToGo software is not ready yet. But it's getting closer.

Look for TivoToGo and MRV in the Fall 2007 update, in time for the Christmas selling season.