TivoToGo on a Ship?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by daynarose, Feb 19, 2007.

1. daynarose

daynarose New Member

Feb 19, 2007

Advertisements

I have joined the Navy but love TV...so when I'm aboard a ship I don't want to miss my favorite shows. I just wanted to see if the TivoToGo feature would work if I were to be aboard a ship or 3,000 miles from my home?
    Thank you.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you setup your home network correctly you can log into the TiVo via it's web interface and download shows that way. However the exact instructions for doing that depend on your network.

Also, depending on you home internet connections upload speed and the ships download speed, it could take quite a bit of time to download each show. Because of this you might be better off downloading your favorite programs from BitTorrent instead, since they tend to be smaller due to having the commercials removed and being compressed in a more efficient format like DivX or Xvid.

Dan

3. GusMan

GusMan Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Simiar topics have been discussed before and the general consensus is that the upload speed is what tends to make this not all that practical. Some reported that it would take an overnight download to acquire a 1 hr tv program.

By the way... no matter what you are doing for the Navy, thank you for serving!

4. PeteEMT

PeteEMT NF2 Guy

Jul 24, 2003
    Unadilla, NY
    Do you have someone at home that could say offload them to a DVD and mail it?

(yeah I know slower yet)

5. BoyScout

BoyScout New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Utah

Advertisements

You could play leap frog with hard drives.

6. ThreeSoFar'sBro

ThreeSoFar'sBro Sports Nut

Oct 10, 2004
    Macomb Twp., MI
    If you have decent bandwidth on the ship, set up a TiVo at home, with a Slingbox so that you can control the TiVo from the ship. Keep in mind that the television and TiVo that you're controlling will be changed. So, if someone is home watching that tv, and you control the TiVo to put on "Friday Night Lights," then the person watching at home would have to watch what you're watching or vice versa.

7. wgary

wgary New Member

Nov 22, 2003
    You might try ORB.com and DVReverywhere.com to stream to your location. I do this with Edge, so I'm assuming you might have at least as good transfer speed on a navy ship...

8. TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
  9. Deacon West

Deacon West New Member

Apr 16, 2006
  10. TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    Smeek?

11. Deacon West

Deacon West New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    It is a TCF term named after member jsmeeker and has become synonymous with either posting something that had previously been posted in the same thread and/or posting something without reading the previous posts in the thread. See this post and the several after it for context: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=4883903&&#post4883903.
    For the record, he seems to be a nice guy and has always been more than welcoming to almost everyone, even those with low post counts like me. :)

12. Deacon West

Deacon West New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Also, the reason I cried Smeek was because two posts prior to your slingbox suggestion, another poster had suggested slingbox, thus the Smeek. :)

13. G-Funk

G-Funk New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    daynarose--

When I had a standalone Tivo with TIVO to go, I did not have a problem with watching shows on my laptop. I did have to download at the house though. Depending on the kind of ship that you go to, you will find more often then not, that the bandwidth allocated to the ships crew is minimal at best. Downloading a bank statement can take up to a half and hour for me underway. We're talking a 4 page PDF file!!! Even though I am inport right now ( and on duty no less) as I respond to this post, I have problems on the internet all the time. I am on a DDG, and recently we received an "UPGRADED" SHF system that was supposed to allow everyone limited access underway.... As of right now, that is so not the case....

So what I am getting at is basically, your options are to:
    a) have someone burn DVD's for you, and yes I know that is slow, but it worked for me for 2 med cruises.
    b) play hard drive leapfrog with someone on the beach.
    c) what I did when I switched over to D* hd tivo.... Just save everything..

Gerard

14. TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    Geez how'd I miss the slingbox post? I saw the one before mine that talked about dvreverywhere and orb... sheesh... I must be losing it...

15. hyachts

hyachts New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Nashua, NH
    I use the current version of Orb (2.0) to watch previously transferred (to the PC on which Orb is running) programs. The quality is bearable and it beats the pants off waiting 18 hours to transfer a 1 hour show. I gather under Orb 1 you could initiate transfers with the dvreverywhere plugin. That is not currently supported in 2.0 so you'd have to have someone local do the transfers. As a side note, videos transferred from my S2 DT box (I think just the High and Best quality ones) don't play perfectly with the DScaler codec orb uses. They play in a 8:9 aspect ratio - read: tall and skinny.

16. VooDooV

VooDooV New Member

May 17, 2004
    I had problems with Orb and DVDanywhere because there are several users on the pc and everyone has been trained to log off their user id when they are finished. Orb uses TivoDeskTop and a user must be logged in to play the .tivo file. No one logged in = No watch show.

17. gprimr1

gprimr1 New Member

Feb 22, 2007
    May I just chip in my 2 cents? I would not, not, recomind using Bittorrent on a US Navey ship.

Have a safe Tour of Duty.

18. BrianEWilliams

BrianEWilliams New Member

Apr 15, 2002
  19. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    WOW, a double smeek after discussion of what a smeek is.

20. hyachts

hyachts New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Nashua, NH
    I would say that qualifies as a quintuple smeek, at least, as the slingbox suggestion has appeared in 5 posts in various forms, and the orb discussion in three.