TiVoToGo/MRV client (extender) solution

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by skylark_pilot, Dec 17, 2007.

1. skylark_pilot

skylark_pilot New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    SoCal

Advertisements

OK, suppose I have a TiVo HD in my living room and I would like to watch shows recorded on that living room TiVo HD in my bedroom, but I don't need full TiVo functionality (i.e. don't need to record TV in the bedroom). I would also like the ablility to watch a shows in the both rooms at the same time (so no slingbox solution will work here).

Are their any standalone TiVoToGo or MRV clients out there? Media Extenders?

Or is a cheap PC (and quiet) PC with a remote my best solution?

--skylarkpilot

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you need to be able to watch different shows, from the same TiVo, in different rooms at the same time then another TiVo or a PC is your only option. The benefit of a second TiVo, rather then a PC, is that the show can be watched while it is being transferred. Also TiVo to TiVo transfers are significantly faster, and more reliable, then TiVo to PC transfers.

Dan

3. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    I would agree another TiVo HD is your best option even though it is going to cost you $9.95/mo for MSD (or $99/yr)

You will save a couple bucks by not needing cable cards in #2.

4. jsbrss

jsbrss New Member

Mar 15, 2007
    I have a TiVo Series 2, not a TiVo HD, but otherwise I think my setup is what you're talking about. I use a coaxial cable splitter (search google images for "coax cable splitter" if you aren't sure what I mean) to run the coax cable coming from the TiVo in the living room to TVs in several other rooms, so they're all showing the same thing. I bought an extra remote for each TV and an RF extender so that each remote is controlling the TiVo in the living room. It works great- if I'm watching something in the living room I can pause it, go into the kitchen and turn on the TV and continue watching it in there. FYI, I got the extra remote and RF extender from weaknees.com. The coax splitter probably came from home depot or radio shack. I did have to crawl around under the house a bit to run the cables, but other than that it was easy.

5. volsfan

volsfan New Member

Mar 1, 2005

Advertisements

Seems like a perfect application for a Slingbox if you have a home network available.

6. volsfan

volsfan New Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Sorry...I didn't notice your Slingbox reference! I'll go back to sleep!

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Without subbing to the TiVo service (which is all or nothing, although the all option costs a little bit less for additional units), you can use a PC with TiVoToGo, or feed the A/V from the one TiVo to the other TV.