TiVotoGo for Mac-Alternative?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Meg3881, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Meg3881

Meg3881 New Member

Mar 10, 2006
    I just bought a 540 series 2 tivo.My first TiVo and I can't use HMO unless I have a pc? Don't think so. Have G4 desktop and iBook... Looked thru A LOT of threads...about a week later I put pieces together and did the following:On my G4 I went to Safari, Bonjour. Typed in (I can't put in url... my ip address forward slash nowplaying forward slash index dot h t m l
    Downloaded show from there. On Virtual PC I used Dirct Dump (I don't even use TiVo Desktop on VPC) and formatted it from tivo format to DV format using ffmegx.(Both downloaded from internet for free.) VPC I already had. For movies I recorded from HBO (no commercials) I burned to DVD using Toast. With commercials I use iMovie. It was easy to do and I am a newbie! I'm sure a lot of you are very tech savy but just wanted to post for those of us less so :) It didn't take long to complete whole process. I can watch on my iBook, too, using Quicktime. It is an option until/if TivoToGo ever works with Mac.

2. TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    nice work
    i'll have to try that out myself (c:

3. paulyras

paulyras New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    Here's another solution. First, let me say that I'm a mac junkie, but I don't have anything against Mr. Softy per se (OK, I really despise them, but I can live with it). I have a 20 inch intel iMac for a kitchen computer (which my girlfriend still insists we don't need), and intel core duo mini attached to my living room HDTV (sitting right next to the tivo).

As you may know, a couple days ago, someone successfully booted XP pro on intel macs. Being a tinkerer, I spent the last day getting Windows Media Center Edition running on the iMac (which kinda sucks because there's no video drivers yet, so it refreshes really slow).

Well, in the mean time, people have found working video drivers for the mini, so I'm going to wipe the iMac and put XP pro on that, and I'm (as we speak- It's a kind of long process) installing Win MCE on the mini.

My goal is to use the mini as my main storage place, and have all of the shows from the tivo get pulled on as soon as they're recorded. I'll then make them 'mac friendly', so I can view them anywhere in the house. It should be pretty easy in the grand scheme of things to automate that process, but we'll see.

I know this is a bit extreme, and I'd rather just have tivo to go for the mac, or even better, a mac mini DVR, but since I'm losing confidence in either of those happening before I'm old and grey, I'm making accomodations...

Plus, there's nothing like the fear of taking a thing of beauty like a mac and risking turning it in to a doorstop from messing up the firmware....

Paul

PS- If anyone wants to play around, here's a link to the windows on mac instructions...

http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/Main_Page

and here's a link to the changes you might have to make to use Win MCE...

http://forum.onmac.net/showthread.php?t=124

4. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    That's interesting. I didn't think DirectShow Dump works without TivoDesktop being installed. :confused: That is the program you are referring to, correct?

5. Meg3881

Meg3881 New Member

Mar 10, 2006
    I do have tivo desktop installed but only use it for iphoto, itunes. It is also installed on VPC but don't use it...

6. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    OK, that makes more sense. Your VPC would need DirectShow Dump (including .NET 1.1), and TivoDesktop to decrypt the files. Techincally you are using it when you run DSD (at least the Tivodesktop.dll).