TivoToGo-Can't play DVD or Windows Media

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by nycityuser, Sep 12, 2007.

1. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY

Advertisements

I recorded a TV show for my brother. My idea was to use TivoToGo to get it to my computer and then use Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 to make a DVD for my brother.

I did all that. The DVD was not readable by the OLD DVD player I have connected to my television. It was, however, readable by the Cyberlink Power DVD software I have on my computer. So I figured my brother could watch it via a DVD software on his computer. So I made a DVD for him this way.

I also took the Windows Media file that TivoToGo put on my computer and copied that file onto another DVD for my brother.

I thought one of these DVDs would work for him. They did not.

The Windows Media file asked for a password when he tried to play it on his PC using Windows Media Player. I don't have any password and the Media Access Key did not work.

The other DVD made from Roxio did not work on two PCs or two DVD players for him.

Any suggestions? My brother uses Windows XP and I use Windows Vista. He lives in LA and I live in NY. I'm trying to avoid the next step - copying from my TIVO to a VCR and sending him the tape. What's the point of TivoToGo and Roxio if I do that?

2. hutchca

hutchca New Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Santa Rosa, CA
    As for the DVD not playing, it's probably related to the format of the blank DVD you used.
    There are three different types of recordable DVDs. DVD-R, DVD+R and DVD-RAM

DVD-RAM and DVD+R are not 100% compatible with all DVD players, especially older ones.
    DVD-R is the most compatible format for playing on Standalone DVD players.
    Your brothers PC drive may not be the same format as yours and might not be able to read your format.
    Even if the formats are the same, some (non-recordable) drives have a problem reading recordable media.

As for the .tivo file, If I'm not mistaken, you have to have TiVo Desktop installed in order to play them back.
    The password should be your Media Access Key or the MAK of the TiVo that originally made the recording.
    There are ways to convert the .tivo file to another format so it could play on any PC without a password, but we can't talk about that here.

From TiVo.com Re: Your MAK....
    "Please DO NOT SHARE THIS KEY with anyone outside your household. Also, as a friendly reminder, your TiVo Service Agreement prohibits you from distributing copy-protected content. Please visit www.tivo.com/policies for more information."

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If he's going to watch it on his PC anyway then the easiest way to share with him is to simply use DirectShow Dump or VideoReDo to save the .tvio file as a standard MPEG file. Then put that on a DVD as a standard data file. When he puts the DVD in the PC he can open Windows Explorer and simply double click the .mpg file to play it in his default player. And if he has a TiVo he can even copy the file from the DVD to his PCs My TiVo Recordings directory and then transfer it over to his own TiVo and watch it on his television.

Dan

4. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
    I used DVD-R media for the reasons you described.

I am aware that one should not share the MAK. Blood is thicker than MAK to me.

My brother does not have TIVO and does not have TIVO desktop on his computer. I suggested that he put it on in order to possibly try to watch.

I can try the other suggestion regarding changing the .TIVO format. It just seems like a lot of work for something that can be handled with videotape.

5. hutchca

hutchca New Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Santa Rosa, CA

Advertisements

Actually DirectShowDump is easy to use and quite fast. It's converts the .tivo file to a standard mpeg2 file.
    I didn't think we were allowed to talk about it here but I guess I can risk it if a moderator can.

Should be easy to find with a quick Google search.

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The moderator in question just wants to push his product. :rolleyes:
    (J/K) ;)

7. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
    I downloaded and used DirectShowDump. It created a .mov file. I have mailed that file to my brother to see if he can view it. Fingers crossed.

8. Puppy76

Puppy76 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2004
    How do you create a normal DVD in Windows? I've never been able to get it to work (despite the fact that Tivo is using MPEG 2! Just obviously not a normal resolution or whatever that a DVD player would use).

I've got a Macbook Pro on order, and I'm HOPING that Toast 8 just works for this. That it'll be simple to back stuff up to DVDs without much hassle. I hardly ever want to save a show, but every once in a while it would be nice (or to have another way to play it in another room, etc.). Completely off topic, but I'm getting serious cold feet about the Macbook Pro...

Regarding DVD+/-R, older DVD players won't read either, though -R is supposed to be slightly more compatible. (There would be a brief window between when players couldn't read either, and when players can read both.) I have a second generation Toshiba that won't read anything but commercial discs (and actually won't even read many of those).

Any fairly recent DVD-ROM drive should read either format. For instance, I have a +R only drive that can still READ -R discs, it just can't write to them.