TivotoGo, anyone watching while transferring to PC?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by atomarchio, Oct 3, 2006.

1. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Just bough the Series 2 DT and got rid of SA8300HD. Connected via wireless USB to ethernet from Tivo. Love the Tivo product!

One of my main reasons to switch is the fact that I can save the programs to my computer on Tivotogo or another Tivo box which I have not done yet.

To get an idea of the speed of MRV, I am currently using Tivotogo and transferring a 60 minute show and then immediately hit play to see if I can watch almost as it's recording.

However, windows media player is still blank after about 10 minutes. Transfer status is telling me about 44 minutes to go. Is it possible to watch a show on my PC while it's transferring? Was hoping to get an idea of the speed thinking it's comparable to 2nd Tivo box.

Could it be my desktop? (3 years old HP Pavilion 2.4GHZ with 768MB) My router (Dlink DI624)?

Is there anything I can do here to improve performance? New PC, router, run Cat5, etc.

I have'nt bought a 2nd box yet but it looks like I'll need to make some kind of improvement to be happy witht spontaneous transferring of shows and watching at the same time.

Please let me know. Thanks.

2. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    My 9 yr olds PC, AMD Sempron 2400, and before that a Celeron 667mhz could playback video as it was being transferred, however the aspect ratio would be off until the transfer completed. Once completed playback was fine. BTW, all requests to play the file were from the TiVo Desktop app itself and not just a doubleclick on the file in the recording folder.

3. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    wow. I was only able to start watchng the video until the transfer got to about 41% and that took almost 20 minutes.

And yes I did play the file from the Tivo desktop app. It opens Windows Media player and it's just blank.

Any suggestions for how I can improve this?

4. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    The show in question was basic quality and transferred over a 802.11b wireless network. I'm not exactly certain how much along it was when I hit play, but it wasn't 41%. Perhaps it's a quality setting that determines when it can be viewed.