Tivos with DTA (Digital Transport Adapter) boxes?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by cmcfalls, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Sep 9, 2011 #1 of 46
    cmcfalls

cmcfalls New Member

Feb 6, 2006
    I recently had to get a couple of DTA boxes from Comcast for our cable. One of our boxes is the Toshiba DVD box, and another is a standard Series 2.

I got the DTA boxes set up (still upset I lost dual tuner capabilities on my S2) with the IR relays and all that. But, there is a 1 to 2 second delay when I change the channel on the Tivo to when the DTA boxes actually change the channel. I press 32 on my Tivo remote, the channel instantly changes (the banner now shows channel 32) but then you see the DTA box enter 32 and another second or so delay before the actual image on screen is on the correct channel.

Also, when scanning channels up or down, I run into the same delay. Very annoying. And it tends to get hung on the wrong channel if you are scanning up or down manually, causing you to be off by a channel or two and requiring a manual input to correct it.

Is this normal? Any way around it? Thanks in advance!

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    That's normal. A full-featured cable box may be a bit faster but you will still see some delay.

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    1. Yes, that is the way it works.

2. You are using the TiVo wrong if that is what you are doing.
    I don't channel flip on the TiVo at all. At most I browse the guide to see what to record to watch later, or live. To just watch, I usually browse the NPL. That is, outside of my non-DVR HD receiver and other video sources.

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    What? There are rules on how you must use your TiVo? Who knew?:rolleyes:

To the OP: If you are using an IR blaster, you might consider getting one of these.

5. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    If you still have analog cable channels, you can not only dual-tuner your DT, you can effectively tune 3 sources at once and record any 2. Search for the instructions here.

6. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Only if he uses something like a VCR to get A/V out from the DTA, which only has RF out.

7. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Right. Forgot to mention.

8. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    DTAs only have RF out? No red, white, yellow?

They have take the digital signal, decode or demodulate or whatever into an analog NTSC composite video and separate audio, and feed that into an RF modulator, but they can't bring the video and audio straight out the back as line outs as well?

Do they at least include the stereo multiplex sub-carrier in that RF out?

9. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I was able to get 2 different Tivos to accept the RF input from a Comcast DTA without using a VCR. I ran guided setup for both cable and satellite so the Tivo would recognize both the RF and composite inputs. Then after completing guided setup, I indicated that both the cable and satellite channel lineups were wrong and then added back only the cable lineup.

10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    So what are you feeding into the line inputs and how do you tell the TiVo to record from that?

What are you feeding into the RF input and how do you tell the TiVo to record from that?

11. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You got it. RF-In, RF-out, IR-in, and power.

Haven't a clue. Haven't activated one yet. Tried today but no joy.

12. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    And exactly how does that enable you to continue to record two streams on a TiVo DT, which was the subject at hand? The purpose of the VCR is to feed the output of the DTA into the A/V inputs of the TiVo so you can feed raw cable to the RF-In and record the analog channels.

13. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The RF output from the DTA is connected to the RF input of the Tivo. Nothing is connected to the composite input of the Tivo. By selecting the cable and satellite option in guided setup, the Tivo has to use both the RF and composite input. Guided setup then has additional options to assign the programming source to the correct input. I just pretend I have satellite TV hooked up and assign it to the composite input and indicate everything is working to get through guided setup.

14. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    verrry interesting.

I wonder if I can get one IR controlled DTA and one serial controlled one if forced to go to DTA in the future.

15. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Even if serial control of a DTA were possible, I'm fairly certain that no TiVo can control two boxes.

16. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

Am I missing something here?
    Are you saying that what you have is a DTA connected by RF output to a Tivo's RF input? and that you jumped through hoops to get the Tivo to use correctly?

17. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Well, I got one of the DTAs activated and it appears that it is stereo. At least, the TV says "Stereo" on screen briefly when I tune to a channel.

As to why they didn't include a/v out in the boxes: to do so would have made them a bit larger and a bit more expensive. It's also possible that the digital tuner and analog RF modulator are on the same chip and it doesn't have A/V out. Whatever the reason, I agree with you that it is annoying, even though it doesn't directly affect me at the moment.

One thing I am wondering: When the FCC mandate to provide 2 free ones expires next year, will the Cable companies start charging for them?

18. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If these were TiVo DTs, then based on posts in other threads, the code that allows them to use a DTA is, to say the least, deficient, and setting them up to work properly can get a bit...messy*.

* I was going to say "convoluted" but you and I are already using that term in another thread.:D

19. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are they only mandated to offer them free if they've discontinued analog completely (as opposed to killing it slowly through attrition the way TWC is around here)?

20. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I'm pretty sure the mandate applies if any channels in a package are moved from analog to digital.

I know I got two free ones and there are still 21 analog channels here. I haven't checked yet but supposedly they have access to channels up to 78.