TiVo's Terrible Billing System

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by PSU_Sudzi, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Mar 3, 2020 #1 of 22
    PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    So I bought a Bolt Vox and purchased a year subscription for $149 to replace my aging Roamio Plus last week. After going through a rollback to TE3 and then being unable to pair the remote in Bluetooth mode even with a dongle, I decided it wasn't much of an improvement over the Roamio and returned it. I called TiVo to cancel the subscription on Saturday and they told me I would be credited back the charge in 10 days. So today I get a popup on my phone for a charge from TiVo for $158.99. I called them today and they told me that the $158.99 is the real charge and the $149 from the weekend was just a hold so now I need to wait another 10 days to get both amounts back. This is a sub-optimal billing process for their customers.

Mikeguy and chelman like this.
  2. Mar 3, 2020 #2 of 22
    compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I had this happen during there mini vox sale last year. Ted was useless also. I had to dispute the charge for them to get it right

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  3. Mar 3, 2020 #3 of 22
    PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Because both charges are listed on my card as "pending" the credit card company (Apple Card, Goldman Sachs) won't let me dispute it until they are processed but its annoying just the same.

4. Mar 3, 2020 #4 of 22
    pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    TiVo doesn’t stop billing unless service is cancelled. I have purchased two used TiVo’s with annual service still in them from the prior owners.

In one case, the previous owner was charged because I cancelled one day after the renewal date. She contacted me and was able to get her money back from TiVo.

In the second case, I bought a used Bolt last August on eBay. It was posted by a charity and I bought it after confirming it still had 11 months of annual service left. It seems likely the previous owner got rid of it as a donation after he was charged an annual service fee. The Bolt was still running TE3, hadn’t been cleared or deleted, and the shows on it were around 18 months old. I’m certain if I don’t call to cancel before the renewal date, the previous owner will be charged again. (I’m not planning on letting that happen though; I have multiple reminders in my calendar and I’m hoping to get a $99 lifetime offer since the previous owner will have paid for 3 years straight).

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  5. Mar 4, 2020 #5 of 22
    Charles R

Charles R Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    I think this is typical for virtually all companies. You aren't charged for pending charges so there is nothing to get back or dispute (outside of the temporary hold against your credit line). As far as the actual charge's credit just like the charge itself it takes time to post and obviously they attempt to ensure the credit is valid before processing... which can take a few days.

6. Mar 4, 2020 #6 of 22
    schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    This, it's how it usually works. You'll get your refund, don't worry.

Also, you need TE4 for voice, even with the dongle.

7. Mar 4, 2020 #7 of 22
    PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Really? I've never paid for a service, have a charge show up and then a second charge show up too when canceling said service. Maybe that wasn't clear in my post.

8. Mar 4, 2020 #8 of 22
    Charles R

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    Really. :) During the order (typical for all businesses) they will get a pre-authorization for the purchase to verify the order can be processed. It shows as pending (held against your credit limit) and is never actually charged and falls off after a few days. When the sale is actually processed the exact amount is computed (adding tax/shipping/whatnot) and charged accordingly (pre-auth+capture). This will also show-up as pending and fall off after a few days however it will be replaced by an actual charge (on your account).

Now there are other paths a purchase/charge can follow however again the above is a pretty standard process.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  9. Mar 4, 2020 #9 of 22
    PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Hmm, with anything I have ever bought that I can recall from other businesses, it always shows up as pending then at some in a few days it posts, I've never seen the "post" with the old charge still in pending.

compnurd likes this.
  10. Charles R

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    That's a straight pre-auth+capture. A good example of a pre-auth (only) followed by a pre-auth+capture is a gasoline purchase. They typically "ding" your card before you begin pumping for a small amount (pre-auth) and once you are done they charge for what you pumped (pre-auth+capture). The pre-auth disappears after a few days... and was only used to verify the credit card was good to go.

In TiVo's case I'm presuming their order system isn't aware of the amount of the actual charge so they pre-auth (something close) only to bill the exact amount once the order is processed.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  11. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Ok that’s a good example but that $1 is always gone by the time the actual charge posts. In this case I now have a charge of 158 and a pending charge of 149 that is going to take 10 days to clear. That’s what I mean by suboptimal.

12. Charles R

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    The pre-auth time-out (expiration) is controlled by the credit card company (agreement). Which I'm guessing isn't unique to TiVo...

13. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I only know my own life experience with credit cards and billing and this have never happened that I can recall with any other purchase whether it be a returned item or otherwise.

14. Charles R

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    Today (March 5) I still have a pre-auth from...

Feb 28, 2020
    MURPHY6876ATWALMART
    Pending Gas Purchase
    $1.00

and the charge (pre-auth+capture) posted...

Feb 28, 2020
    MURPHY6876ATWALMART
    Gas Purchase
    $17.48

15. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Maybe because the charges are different. The first charge will drop off in 5 business days. Nothing to worry about unless it posts.

But it does stink because if it was a debit card your money is held hostage.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  16. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Cool, now I know you buy gas at 9620 Kincaid Dr, Indianapolis, Indiana 46038.

17. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    We get enough gas from tivo and their latest antics already.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  18. Charles R

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    Heck I not only buy gas I live there... free RV parking!

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  19. chelman

chelman Member

Oct 26, 2004
    Southern...
    I had the same problem! I had to wait for the charge to get old (20 days or so) for my credit card to accept my dispute. Tivo is horrible, arrogant and stupid!
    What Tivo is not understanding is that they are the end of their product usability. Their cablecard support is horrible and the fight with cable companies is not helping them. I tried to give my daughter one of my Tivos, just to find out that Cox has not supported Tivos for a long time.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  20. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    It just cleared off today (credit card)so now just have to wait for them to reverse the $158.99 charge.

foghorn2 likes this.