TIVO's Sucky Replacement Policy

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Hammoreh, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Hammoreh

Hammoreh New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    My Series 2 quit dialing in and downloading info. I troubleshooted with a Tivo tech rep and concluded that there was a defect in the machine. He promised to send a new box to me. I found out later that this was a refurbished box, and not brand new as he promised.

Why would TIVO do that? Do you consider that I would want something used, that was broken and repaired when I spent money to buy something new? Perhaps they're posing refurbished stuff as new and that's why a new Series 2 all of a sudden stopped working!

Shame on you, TIVO. The minute someone else comes along with a competitive product and better customer service, I'm history.

2. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    And does the box they sent you work well, or not?

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    While you may not be thrilled with it, it's one of the most common things to do in the hardware business..

There has been many a thread on this, a search using the keyword "refurbished" would lead you there.

If your S2 is more then a few months old, it's already used. Myself, I'd rather get a "refurbed and known to be tested on the bench by technician" machine in an exchange then a new never been tested box that may have component failure in the first 30 days, but YMMV

Diane

4. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    I agree with dianebrat. This is the defacto standard for nearly anything you buy (not just electronics).

Besides that I personally would much rather have the refurbed unit in this case as it should have gone through much more testing than the new boxed unit.

5. gogreen

gogreen New Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Unless the Tivo rep actually said the words "Brand new, never used box" I don't really think you've been swindled at all.

6. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    I would think every new one being built is tested as they are being built or at least so many out of the lot# being built are pulled and tested.

The refurb ones get fixed, hooked up the same way you'd hook it up, leave it on for a few minutes, decide it works fine, un-hook it, pack it up, stock it as a refurb as quick as they can. They don't go thru extensive testing. The people in the refurb department don't have time to run extensive testing on them. There's even been reports here of refurb units being received DOA. How do you explain that if you think they go thru extensive testing?

7. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'd file it under the "stuff happens" category, but it still doesn't change the fact that I would not be offended by a refurb as a warranty exchange. I honestly don't care if it's refurb or new, as long as *my* warranty period is the same.

Diane

8. rage777

rage777 Member

Aug 19, 2006
    I think the OP is lucky that he didn't have to pay the $100 or whatever they were going to charge me to get a "new" box since I am out of the warranty period. I would rather have a new Tivo, because they do get tested in the factory. Since I use to fix electronics, I know there are a lot of times where a customer complains and you can never replicate the problem so you just have to ship it back. If they are sending a box that they couldn't replicate the problem, then you could get an issue down the road.

9. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I've also seen the case where the buyer just couldn't grasp the usage of a device, and after they were returned we had to sell them as "open box" when we knew it was user error, in those cases someone came really close to getting the item at 10% over cost as opposed to the usual markup.

Diane

10. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    I agree. I wouldn't want a refurbished anything. You don't know if it's a lemon or just returned as "I didn't like it."

I briefly considered buying a refurbished HDTV and almost everyone recommended strongly against it.