TiVo's Own Ad Recording Priority

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dallastx, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Apr 8, 2011 #1 of 12
    dallastx

dallastx Member

Sep 27, 2007
    At 4am CDT this morning my TiVo HD was recording a show I had requested and it was also recording a TiVo ad on the other tuner. When I tried to switch to another channel, I was prompted if I wanted to stop MY recording.

I haven't been up early enough to run into this in a long time, but TiVo used to stop its own recording without even asking when you wanted to switch the tuner to another channel.

I tried recording two channels myself, but it simply ignored the request to record the second program.

Is this "TiVo ads have priority" scheme something new.

2. Apr 8, 2011 #2 of 12
    solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Northern...
    Glad I haven't run into this. It might very well be the last straw.

3. Apr 8, 2011 #3 of 12
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Go to Find Programs -> Search by Title -> All Programs, and search for "Teleworld Paid Program".
    Once you find it, you can go in and cancel the recording ahead of time.

4. Apr 8, 2011 #4 of 12
    LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    I think the "current" tuner has priority so it will always ask to stop the show on the other tuner (or maybe it is vice-versa, I forget). You can experiment and see which it is.

On TiVo a recording is a recording. Whether it is something you scheduled to record, a suggestion, or teleworld add the rules for stopping the shows are the same.

5. Apr 8, 2011 #5 of 12
    jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Wow! That was some helpful, superfluous, information. Caffeine hasn't kicked in yet?:p However, I must say that you are incorrect on your second statement. If I have a scheduled program being recorded and Tivo is recording a suggestion at the same time and I attempt to change the channel, the tuner being used for the suggestion will be used without any prompt to stop either recording. Based on what the OP stated, it appears that this Teleworld recording has some other priority different than a suggestion.

6. Apr 8, 2011 #6 of 12
    pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    No, I think it stops a suggestion without asking, as if in apology.

7. Apr 8, 2011 #7 of 12
    dallastx

dallastx Member

Sep 27, 2007
    I found several Teleworld shows listed all around 3 or 4 in the morning CDT. Some of them were scheduled to record, which I canceled. It doesn't really bother me, but the recording this morning was not a normal scheduled recording. It was an unstoppable recording.

8. Apr 8, 2011 #8 of 12
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    did you go to the tuner recording teleworld and hit the clear button or record button to specifically tell it to stop recording? I could do that in the past but have not seen an actual recording of teleworld in some time.

Obviously TiVo treats the teleworld the same as a scheduled recording so the rules of which tuner it offers to stop apply versus the rule of stop the suggestion without asking

9. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Mea Culpa. I actually have suggestions turned off, but I thought I read people making the same complaint about suggestions. Thanks for the clarification.

10. argusx

argusx New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    How many of you are have TiVo's recording programs by 'Teleworld' (basically, nothing but infomercials)? I've given this particular item a 3 thumbs down and the TiVo continues to record them. In addition, I can't actually find the programs that have been recorded anywhere, not in 'Now Playing' or 'Showcases'. It appears to me the TiVo could fill the drive with this programming and it's basically invisible, I can't even find it to delete it. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

I've done a Google search regarding this and I've seen postings as far back as 2008. People were saying it's only a 'glitch'. Three years later and it's still going on? Doesn't look like a glitch to me.

11. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    If you peruse your TiVo menus you'll see a menu item titled "showcase" recirdings. The "Teleword Paid Program" is where the videos in the showcase recordings come from.
    It's not a glitch. It doesn't take up any disk space assigned for recording programs.
    Nothing to get your knickers in a knot over.

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Your issues were answered in detail in other threads.. you misunderstand how they work (and how thumbs work).