Tivo's House of Bricks

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by anonymoususer, Feb 10, 2016.

1. anonymoususer

anonymoususer New Member

Jul 18, 2005

Advertisements

Does anyone know how many HDs are being turned into Bricks, I mean, are in Service? :confused:

From Tivo:
    ***UPDATE***

Good morning everyone.

We have an update to this issue. At this point in time the TiVo Search function looping back is expected behavior. We are advising customers to use Search By Title as a permanent replacement for that function. If you are interested in getting into a newer TiVo please give us a call to explore all the exciting offers we have available for replacing the Series 3/HD devices.

If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to any of the TiVo Support Staff on the forums.

Thank You & Have A Great Day.

2. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2006
    funny you should post this - I am just on the phone with Tivo tech support and the kindly read me this statement. What a warm fuzzy this is...for Lifetime. But I understand that they can't support old technology forever - at some point things just change. Analog phone lines for example - that's what a Tivo expects at the phone jack, not a digital phone signal. Outdated Api's, etc.
    Five years ago, Tivo swapped out my two HD's for two Premiere's and charged $99 for each. Seemed fair.
    Maybe you can try that argument....

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  3. caughey

caughey Member

May 26, 2007
    Orange County
    On Monday, the official TiVo line was:

https://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/f...#e11277373&channelID=10&portalPageId=10432560
    So now the "temporary alternative" that is "not a resolution" is the "permanent replacement." Sounds like they broke something and finally decided it was more trouble to fix than it was worth.

Odd with that mindset they are still rolling out the MPEG4 software update with one hand while removing features with the other.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

I am convinced that there are two different sets of people who take turns running TiVo on alternate days or weeks or months.

5. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland

Advertisements

I don't understand the reference to "bricks". All other functions are working normally?

6. caughey

caughey Member

May 26, 2007
    Orange County
    That depends on what you mean by "all other functions."

7. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I use wishlist searches to replace Tivo search and amazon fire tv for OTT content.

8. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ
    My point is that if you have lifetime subscription, then removing features is a breech of contract! When u bought the lifetime, the features available were what you bought.

If they are removing them, then they need to let you buy a new tivo and transfer the lifetime to it.

But tivo does not see it that way.

9. achalupa

achalupa Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Actually TiVo Search, as it was before being removed, was not a feature when the S3 was released. There was a different feature called Swivel Search. I'm also fairly certain only local search was available on the S3 at launch.

While I don't like that a bunch of features have been removed it's not as cut and dry as you indicate. There have been many features added and removed over the life of the S3 line. This includes services provided by TiVo (Search) as well as 3rd parties (Youtube, rhapsody, Amazon, etc). Some are under TiVo control and some aren't. Some people have had lifetime on these units for 8 years, others for a few months. How can you use that to determine what features are available?

10. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Their liability would be limited to damages; I would guess that the damages in this case would be the appropriate fraction of the current amortized value of your TiVo lost due to not being able to perform the lost functions. You could try submitting that to the TiVo arbitrator and see what you get. I suspect he would read you this from the TiVo User Agreement:
    Features and functionality are subject to change. We reserve the right to determine the timing and content of software updates, which may be automatically downloaded and installed by TiVo products without prior notice to you.​

11. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The swivel search still works. If you set the TV aspect ratio to 4:3, then the Tivo Search option will give the option to select swivel search.