Tivos for sale

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by spitfires, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Feb 1, 2011 #1 of 40
    spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK

Advertisements

Lovely lovely - there's going to be a glut of S1 Tivos on fleece-u-bay soon.

That'll bring the prices back down (they jumped up in the last week by speculators buying them up in the hope of getting a mega-discount (which hasn't materialised tee hee) on a VM box).

Gimme gimme - me want spares!

2. Feb 2, 2011 #2 of 40
    OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Anyone selling their TiVo please remember that ads are not allowed in the UK forums

3. Feb 2, 2011 #3 of 40
    hokkers999

hokkers999 New Member

Jan 5, 2006
    As they haven't been on sale for 8 years now, why not? They aren't exactly in competition with the new vm tivo are they....

4. Feb 3, 2011 #4 of 40
    OzSat

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Because it is in the forum rules that ads are not allowed - that's why not! There is a separate forum for discussing sales.

Also, questioning a moderator's decision is also against the rules!

Both can lead to a temporary or permanent ban!

What may be an option which I am waiting perhaps a single thread for people to announce they are selling - but links to the sale would not be allowed.

5. Feb 3, 2011 #5 of 40
    djqster

djqster New Member

Oct 22, 2010

Advertisements

FWIW I paid £44 + P&P for a 40GB lifetime subbed TiVo a couple of weeks ago.

By the time the postie had finished with it I had to replace the casing with the one from my unsubbed unit, but it still works fine.

6. Feb 3, 2011 #6 of 40
    mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
  7. Feb 3, 2011 #7 of 40
    Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Interesting thought that if the old guide data does stop and someone dreams up a new one which is better than the old one at a fair price that second hand Tivo's may again shoot up in value...

Automan.

8. Feb 3, 2011 #8 of 40
    Heedyheed

Heedyheed New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Bedfordshire...
    :(

I hope you're wrong about that 'coz mine has just gone on sale!

I was spurred into action by seeing a similar one go for £87 just a few days ago.... Oh well, never mind - I had a good few years out of it, and it was fun tinkering with the beast.

9. Feb 4, 2011 #9 of 40
    sad_tivo_man

sad_tivo_man New Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Just read this on TiVo Inc's website

Moving forward, current Series1 TiVo box owners should transition to the new boxes. You will receive information about a special offer from Virgin Media. Note: Don't purchase used Series1 boxes, they will no longer be eligible for activation.

Pray, please tell us, TiVo Inc how the many existing Series 1 TiVo box owners can transition when we haven't got a snowball's chance of getting Virgin cable?

I don't quite follow the logic of the second sentence either. Surely when you buy a used TiVo then it has already been activated.

10. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    I guess it means that no more new subs will be taken. At present nobody is having monthly subs taken and lifetime subs are still operating as usual so unless a crystal ball is handy we are none the wiser

11. JudyB

JudyB New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Can you post a link to this please?

I can't find it and I'm thinking about whether or not to send a suitably worded email to query the part about moving to Virgin Media since we are in a non-cabled area too.

The only thing I could find about Tivo in England is blatantly wrong (from here):
    Although we don't use it now ourselves, our Tivo is definitely capable of recording analogue TV and cable services. Also, the boxes were never "available exclusively to customers of BSkyB".

12. sad_tivo_man

sad_tivo_man New Member

Apr 27, 2003
  13. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    I just gave the article two thumbs-down and put the following in the box...

14. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Initially it was very closely linked to Sky - even had a Sky logo on the menus of v1 software.

15. britcub

britcub Bear with a TiVo

Jan 19, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    The reference to 'England' should also be removed then as it was available throughout the UK!

16. OzSat

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Still has it on bootup.

17. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Yes. But it wasn't "exclusively available" to only their customers.

18. OzSat

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Maybe there was a deal which meant that subscribers were actually BSkyB customers - even though the box would run on all the major UK platforms (still does).

19. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I suspect that Sky took the £10s.

20. Davyburns

Davyburns New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    North East...
    What happened to freedom of speech? Only represive countries like China and erm Russia still have that doctrine :mad: