Tivo's Elite E-mail: No Commitment?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by BigJimOutlaw, Oct 12, 2011.

1. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Tivo's sign-up letter about the Elite came this morning. Nothing you wouldn't expect, except there might be one small thing... it reads like there might not be a service commitment?

Here's an image from the top of the letter:

[​IMG]

And then at the bottom the fine print reads:

*Get a TiVo Premiere Elite DVR for $499.99 when you subscribe to the TiVo service at $19.99 per month, plus tax, with no commitment or Product Lifetime service for a one-time payment of $499.99, plus tax. Terms and conditions apply. See tivo.com for complete details.

So no annual commitment or anything? Or am I reading too much into that?

2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    My guess is the box makes enough of a profit that they don't need a subscription to subsidize. Also with limited retail locations they aren't slashing prices to sell to Amazon for example.

3. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    So does that mean I can buy the Elite and put my 12.95 plan on it?

4. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    It's an interesting change in that case. Opens up the chance for a discount with a commitment down the road, I guess. ;)

No. Clearly states 499.99 + 19.99.

5. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Also available for 14.99/mo with MSD.

[​IMG]

6. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I doubt it. I know someone tried to transfer their $6.95 and they got shot down because it was the Elite.

7. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Lame. I would consider buying one from Best Buy but I'm not willing (no should I have to IMO) pay more monthly for a new box. Especially unsubsidized.

8. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I believe selling this box for $500 will not be profitable but the service will be. The quantity is too small and after distributions costs, retailer profits, warranty, and customer returns, it will be something approximating breakeven for the hardware if TiVo is lucky. Since very few people are going to purchase a $500 box without also paying for service, the service should make it a profitable product for TiVo. I doubt if any TiVo DVR has been profitable in years and overall, TiVo never or almost never makes a profit from operations during any period, installed customer base is too small. Unfortunately a profitable product at a very small scale like the Elite won't amount to much but it will be better than nothing and maybe more profitable products can follow.

9. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    My opinion, it's a quad tuner... people are going to like this TiVo and won't be cancelling their subscription any time soon.

I know I won't be.

10. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I suspect that the $500 MSRP affords Tivo at least a small profit and there is not a hardware subsidy that has to be recovered, unlike the other Premieres.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Wasn't the S3 the only box that they sold at cost without subsidizing it? And that box cost $800 at the time.
    I know they made their money off of me. You couldnot get Lifetime back then and I had three of the S3 boxes and signed up for a 3 year commitment at $6.95 for each box. And then when that ended they had Lifetime again and I signed up for that at $300 each. So they got alot out of me for those S3 boxes between the monthly fee and Lifetime service.

EDIT: I totally missed the no commitment when I was at the subscription page for the Elite. If I had realized it I may have signed up for monthly initially to push back the $400 payment for lifetime.

12. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I don't see this as a good thing, especially if you can't get a lifetime for this box.

13. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    You can. I definitely got it on my Elite.

14. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    *raises hand* I'm one of them, CSR was very nice and very clear that while they weren't supposed to transfer $6.95 to a Premiere they would if you whined nicely, but that it was not going to happen on the Elite and the word had come from upon high "no exceptions"

15. SC0TLANDF0REVER

SC0TLANDF0REVER I Love my TiVo!

Dec 9, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    You can get LT - see post #5.

16. adamwsh

adamwsh Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Me too. :(

They would transfer my 6.95 plan to a regular Premier, but not Elite. I wonder if we wait a few months if they will change their tune.

17. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    Did you try this. "I KNOW TOM ROGERS I listen TO HIM IN CONFERENCE CALLS." :D