Tivo's Days numbered???

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by golfman68, Jan 15, 2006.

1. golfman68

golfman68 New Member

Apr 2, 2002
    St. Paul,...
    I am hearing a lot of this lately on other forums do you have any rebuttals for this kinda of post.

C@P
    I wouldn’t bother with a tivo. Digital tv guide over the air is free in almost all areas, this is the last year for analog tv broadcasts, and dvrs are cheap and easy. Bottom line, tivo’s days are doomed. The only thing keeping the company from going completely under is their partnership with Directv. Fwiw, I don’t think tivo has yet to turn a profit, a company in the red since day 1.

HBO went heads up with tivo, settled by working with tivo to implement a scheme where your recorded programs are installed with a time code tag and will self delete after 3 days or 7 days, whatever the program owner decides. I heard that the Simpsons (fox broadcast) will self delete in a few days, too. This is regardless of how you set up the record option to keep the program.

When I get too much free time I want to play around with one of those German-made Dream Machine boxes, build my own tivo/sat receiever combo.

Thanks in advance.

2. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    I wouldn't rely on anything I read in a forum.

3. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    HBO programs don't self-delete from TiVo.

4. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Seems about average for off-topic chatter in a web forum ;)

5. Gregor

Gregor save the princess save the world TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    Too many things wrong with the original post quote to count.

We probably see a "Is TiVo Doomed?" thread a few times a month.

6. golfman68

golfman68 New Member

Apr 2, 2002
    St. Paul,...
    I tried searching for past info but my search was not successful, I'll search again for some more rebuttal info.

Thanks Golf.

7. gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    Not true.

Just FYI, new implementations of Macrovision copy protection will allow a program owner to set flags as to how long a program can be kept and whether it can be copied. So far no one has implemented the flags but every current DVR, including those from the cable companies, with a current Macrovision license will obey the flags.

TiVo's days have been numbered since the cable and satellite companies realized there was a market for DVR's.

I can see Tivo implementing a higher monthly type of "lease" fee for future cablecard PVR's. Sort of a rent-to-own scheme. This will basically put them own the same footing as the cable companies. You can pay Comcast $15 a month, the current lease fee for a HD-DVR in my area, or pay Tivo about the same for a Tivo. Of course, this type of scheme will require some type of longterm contract. Not such a big deal since CableCard Tivo's will work with any cable system in the country.

8. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    No it isn't. You're a little behind the times. Last thing I heard was 2009. They seem to keep moving it forward every few months. Next year, it might be 2015.

Funny. If there's a market for DVRs, then there must be a market for TiVos. Why are you contradicting yourself?

Last thing I heard, DirecTV now has their own DVR. What partnership? Also, the TiVo fee on DirecTiVos is far below that of regular TiVo machines.

See gtrogue's post above regarding this.

It wasn't just HBO this was worked out for, and it doesn't apply to over the air broadcasts.

You heard wrong. There have been a few cases of the self-delete marker being accidentally broadcast with certain shows (like the Simpsons) or a bad signal creating a false version of that marker. OTA broadcasts are not included in this arrangement.

9. golfman68

golfman68 New Member

Apr 2, 2002
    St. Paul,...
    Thanks.... :)

10. arc6th

arc6th Fair and Balanced

Jun 26, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Yes, TiVo's days are numbered. My days are numbered. Your days are numbered. We all die. Sorry if this is the first you've heard of it.

11. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Just about everything in golfman's post is incorrect. TiVo certainly faces its fair share of challenges, but others have done a fine job dispelling these particular myths.

FYI OTA programming data is pathetic... in my area most stations are not providing it, and those that do only seem to cover a few hours a day with incomplete data. Even though all broadcasts must be digital by 2009, there is nothing legislating programming data as far as I know.

12. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    the series 3 TiVo due out second half of this year will record digital channels via cable card and will work just fine well past any final analog broadcasts. In fact end of analog(not until 2009 or so anyhow) will just end up selling more series 3.
    TiVo gets money from DirectTV until 1 st quarter 2007. At which time we see how well the comcast deal is looking at bringing in revenue. So the true imapct on this one will not be known until financial figures are made public in 2007.

the rest was just total macrovison nonsense so well twisted in forums where someone is not around to bring reality into the topic.

oh nad let us know when you get you DVR for digital cable and satellite running ;)

13. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Just tell 'em TiVo's days are out numbered.

14. Dale Sorel

Dale Sorel Two Girls and a boy!

Dec 26, 2001
    On the...
    Yes, and the Earth gets 10% hotter every billion years due to chemical changes in the Sun.

That's it, I'm moving :rolleyes: