Tivos and Slingbox 500

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Mover480, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Mover480

Mover480 Member

Jan 14, 2006

Advertisements

I've got two Tivos, a Premiere XL and a Bolt in a cabinet. I have two remotes and each one only controls its associated Tivo. I want to put a Slingbox 500 in the same cabinet hooked up to the Bolt. I've done this, but when the Slingbox blasts signals to the Bolt from its internal IR blaster, both Tivos respond. The Bolt remote is RF and the XL is IR, but they both respond to the Slingbox. I have the Slingbox pyramid blaster, but haven't tried it. But I suspect it will do the same thing. Any ideas on how it might get the Slingbox to control only the Bolt (short of moving the XL)?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The slingbox IR is set to the IR address of 0, which will control everything in sight. Even though the Bolt is set for RF, it also will respond to IR signals at the same time. You should set each Tivo to their own IR address (not 0) of 1-9. Its set in system Information in response to the remote in IR mode (Hold Tivo+C, Flashes red), then Hold Tivo+Pause, then any number 1 to 9. Press left arrow to leave System Information and it will be set. Repeat for other Tivo with a different number on the other remote.
    Don't forget to set back the Bolt remote to RF (Hold Tivo+D, flashes yellow).

You would need to setup the Slingbox with the Bolt's IR address.

3. Mover480

Mover480 Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Well, I understand the IR addresses and they are different on each remote. But, I have no idea how to change the IR address on the Slingbox. Is there a way?

4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you cannot change the IR code for the slingbox, I suggest you "tent" the emitter and the IR window. Tape card (thick) paper over.

You do not need to use the IR window on the Bolt if you are using RF on the remote.

5. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010

Advertisements

I have the same situation as you. In one room I have both a Romeo and an S3 648, and in another room I have an HDXL and a premiere. As the previous post just said, you need to assign each TiVo box its own remote code. Now the other part: fortunately the Slingbox 500 allows you to configure using your TV as your display so that you don't have to go to a computer to set everything up.

Unfortunately, at least the last time I checked, all the Slingbox Romeo virtual remotes are set to 0 remote code, meaning that comnands will affect all tivo's in the room. On the other hand, there are a variety of other TiVo virtual remotes provided by the Slingbox that can be assigned other remote code numbers. In my case I just decided to use one of the S3 virtual remote to control my Romeo set on a different remote code then the real S3 TiVo in the same room. I found the S3 virtual remote to be the best match for the Romeo remote as a substitute, in my opinion.

Considering I use the Slingbox for playback and related functions to that, I haven't found any problem at all using an S3 virtual remote to control the Romeo. It is true that the S3 virtual remote does not have the colored letter buttons and a few of the function buttons are placed in a different location than the Romeo remote, but since I never use my Slingbox to configure any of my tivo's, using an S3 virtual remote to control the Romeo through the Slingbox has provided no problems nor lack of access to any of the features I need when playing back and even recording. In fact, I think there are more than one way to do the same thing on a Romeo and it's remote so if something requires a letter color button there may be another way to do that on the S3, but I've never had need to use any of those functions on playback.

I presume you know how to go into your Slingbox 500 and very easily and intuitively go through each step answering each question on the TV screen to find your list of TiVo remotes, and there are a lot of them, quite a long list. you may want to scroll through the entire list of TiVo virtual remote just to be certain that you didn't miss anything and you know all your options. The specific remote code is clearly indicated in the list next to each TiVo virtual remote that offers it. Just be certain to pick two different remote code numbers for each TiVo in the room and not a 0 code.

You should have things connected from your TiVo into the Slingbox then out of the Slingbox to the television or switch or a AV receiver because that way you can access the Slingbox on your television and see the screens to set things up and select the appropriate remote control for the TiVo connected to the Slingbox 500 (or even if you choose to connect both TiVo's).

I'll also add that if you want HD from both of your TiVo's or one TiVo and another HD device into the same Slingbox 500, you can use an HDMI splitter that removes DMR allowing you to connect one of the TiVo's (or other HD device) into the HDMI in of the Slingbox 500 and then you can use the component (Analog HD) jacks from the other TiVo (or other HD device) to the component input of the Slingbox 500, and then you can switch between either TiVo or other HD device to sling to your location. The nice thing about the Slingbox 500 is that it allows for on-screen E-Z configuration, and up to two different sources connected using 2 of the 3 video inputs into the Slingbox and then you can choose between those two to sling. Slingbox 500 has HDMI, Component (both HD), and composite (SD) connections.

I have mine set up that way and it works extremely well and as far more reliable than my TiVo Stream, but in my case I have one TiVo and one Dish DVR or client plugged into the two a different HD inputs, and then I can easily switch between the two to Sling and watch, one at a time of course. Please let us know how things turn out and if you haven't working well. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    kpeters59 likes this.
  6. Mover480

Mover480 Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Thanks, I'll try setting up the Slingbox with different remotes.

7. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    You can load any codes under the sun, including every possible TiVo address using Remote Master. We have a huge database of codes at the JP1 site.

8. Series3Sub

Mar 14, 2010
    I forgot to add that if you didn't understand the instructions posted on this thread from a very helpful member of the community on how to change the remote codes on your physical Tivo remotes and TiVo boxes, you can go to TiVo support Pages at their website and get very clear step by step instructions on how to change the remote codes on your physical real remote controls and TiVo boxes. Again let us know how things go. The best of luck to you

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  9. Mover480

Mover480 Member

Jan 14, 2006
    I give up. I've tried just about every Slingbox remote with different IR codes on each Tivo and everytime, the Slingbox blaster activates both Tivos. It just doesn't make any sense. This should have worked. So I guess I'll get a Mini and hook the Slingbox up to that and the Bolt.

10. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  11. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The alternative is to "tent" or cover the IR window with the emitter within, using thick paper or card stock and/or aluminum foil.

Using a Mini is a good solution as you can still use the Bolt/DVR to watch Live TV or recordings on the TV, while the slingbox is using the Mini's own output for Live TV or recording.

12. Mover480

Mover480 Member

Jan 14, 2006
    I got it working. Since it didn't make any sense when it wasn't working, when all else fails, reboot the Tivos. Now it works with this setup. The IR address on the XL is 2 and the IR address on the Bolt is 4. The Bolt remote is connected Bluetooth. The Slingbox virtual remote is Generic with address 4. The Slingbox Generic remote controls the Bolt and not the XL and the Generic remote buttons are close enough to the Bolt's. Life is good. Thanks for everyone's help!

13. Series3Sub

Mar 14, 2010
    Well, I am very happy for you. I LOVE my TiVo and Dish on my Slingbox 500. I am glad you did not give up. Yes, life is VERY good with Slingbox! Glad you have the virtual remote you want, but S3 (virtual) remote was desinged with buttons and access to virtually all the latest features of High-Def capable TiVo's including S4 and S5. Keep that in mind if you find the Generic virtual remote not allowing easy access to your Bolt features.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019