TivoRemote on Android

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by liquid8, May 25, 2009.

1. liquid8

liquid8 New Member

Apr 2, 2008
    I have released a Tivo Remote for Android in the market. It costs $.99, and works for Series3, HD, and HD XL over wifi using the Network Remote Control setting.

Thanks to all those that found the information on how to do this, and provided sample code.

2. bsnelson

bsnelson Mid-life anti-crisis in progress TCF Club

Oct 30, 1999
    Frisco, TX, USA
    Just curious: Have you released the source for your project?

Brad

3. Mar 7, 2011 #3 of 12
    christlab

christlab New Member

Jun 15, 2006
    California
    Android App Review:

Easy of use 8
    Setup 8
    Price 8
    Gui 1

This app is basically a remote! DONT EVEN THINK!!! its like the iPad app! NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!!! This app is a remote and remote only !!! Typing on my Galaxy Tablet is horible!!! I would not spend a dollar again on this app because there is no point in having a remote again!

If you could work on a app like the iPad! WOW!!!

4. Mar 7, 2011 #4 of 12
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    It was never advertised as anything but a remote. It predates the iPad app (and indeed, the iPad) by over a year. It also predates Android tablets -- it's targetted at the original Android devices, phones. On phones, there's hardly room for anything beyond a remote.

Legitimate criticisms of this app would include the facts that it hasn't been updated to recognize the Premiere, and that it doesn't use the new APIs for direct text input (it only does it Ouija-style). That it's not something it was never designed to be is not legitimate criticism.

5. Mar 7, 2011 #5 of 12
    TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    It works on my Premire. I don't really use it that much.

6. Mar 8, 2011 #6 of 12
    wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    It works with a Premiere, but it doesn't recognize it -- you have to enter the address manually.

7. MikeSp

MikeSp Member

Mar 2, 2010
    WHY doesn't Tivo produce a free Tivo app for Android -- if Comcast and other providers can provide Android apps for their DVRs, then I fully expect Tivo to do the same. IF I did not have lifetime service for both of my Tivos, I would migrate to Comcast DVR's or probably move to DVR's and service from DishTV.

MikeSp

8. EvilMidniteBombr

EvilMidniteBombr what bomz at midnite

May 25, 2006
    Parts...
    Now wouldn't that be nice?

9. vames

vames pondering

Oct 13, 2003
    NW Indiana
    Could you elaborate on this just a tad for me? Do you need to enter the IP manually every time you launch the app? Or just the first time, and it remembers it on subsequent launches? (I have a Premiere and am considering buying this, but if I have to enter the IP every time I want to use it, that would be...annoying.) Thanks!

10. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    Just the first time. Of course, unless you set the TiVo up with a static IP, its IP could change...

11. DrWho453

DrWho453 New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Raleigh NC
    I just found this a couple of days ago and have it installed on a Nook Color running Froyo off a dual boot SD card. I actually like. Who knew one could use an Ereader to change channels on a Tivo? :)

12. vames

vames pondering

Oct 13, 2003
    NW Indiana
    I forgot to follow up, but I just thought I'd say that I bought this right after I saw your post, and I've easily gotten my $1 worth out of it. Thanks for the timely and accurate information. Great product, does exactly what it says.