TivoPC (aka Nero Liquid TV)

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by philhu, Mar 26, 2009.

1. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ

Advertisements

I thought a thread for this product is in order. Maybe even a forum group, since it IS a Tivo.

I want to post good and bads for this product here.

2. philhu

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ
    Anyone try this device with Nero Liquid TV? V1.4 supports it as an antenna-only tuner (no QAM cable, even though the device found 143 clear channels on my FiOS).

Anyway. It scans correctly, adds the channels, and they come into NERO just fine, even HD ones at 16:9

The problem is that I cannot select any channel that is a subchannel, like 7-2, 10-2 etc. Only the -1 channels can be tuned.

This is using direct entry, which never worked on a Tivo well for subchannels, or using the guide, which seems to be trying to type '7-2' etc.

My question is that it upgraded my firmware to a new version. Does the old work better?

I'll posted these same questions to the Nero Support group FYI. If I get an answer, I'll let you know.

3. philhu

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ
    Well, I took the plunge and bought TivoPC

It is very close to a tivo on a pc. Same sounds, etc.

But I am seeing a few problems, showstoppers with it:

1) I bought it to copy pgms from my TivoHD to TivoPC to be burned to DVD (TivoPC allows that!). Well, anything copied FROM tivoHD to TivoPC is playable, but cannot go to DVD with error 'This source audio and video is encoded i an incompatible format'. You can tell TivoPC to convert to MP4 and those go to DVD with third party programs without problems.

2) I can transfer SD programs all I want. With HD programs,the transfers seem to abort for some reason. Even if both devices are on the same switch etc. No other network problems, on either box or any device, both read guide data ok, but sometimes the TivoPC says it cant make a connection to TivoHD, so I don't know where the problem lies. In their v1.2, the aborted transfers stick around, and let you watch 9-25 minutes of a 1 hour hd program. Withnew v1.4, the aborted xfers are deleted, so someone there has been looking at this problem or part of it anywayz.

3) The remote they supply is a standard Tivo remote set to remote #0. This is bad since any tivo, even one set to 1,2,3 will respond to remote 0. Since I send my IR to my video closet, hitting the remote on my TivoPC causes stuff to happen in my basement video closet! The remote that comes with TivoPC is set to 0 AND CANNOT BE CHANGED (no dvr button). They should have set it to 3 or a new one: 4, to keep the products seperate.

The new version supports the HDHomeRun tuner, which makes life so much easier than running an antenna lead to your computer.

4. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
  5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

Advertisements

I'm just trying to figure out why it took the OP 3 posts.

The dvr button has nothing to do with it. Even the original S1 remotes can be set to use any of the ten ir codes.

6. philhu

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ
    Well, the TivoPC does not even have a place in the System Information to set it's remote. What they have is a place during guided setup to 'hit the 2 key' and if it understands it, it works.

So you are saying you can take the remote that comes with TivoPC and somehow change it to use, a code like 5? How would one do this, with another tivo, in this case? Then if it is set to 5, I could rerun guided setup and use it at 5 then, causing my remote problem to go away.

7. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    No, what I said was that the presence or lack of a dvr switch isn't relevant to a Tivo remotes ability to be set to use a different ir code as you indicated in your post.

8. philhu

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ
    But just not on TivoPC, since there is no screen to actually set it to use other than 0.

9. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    you may have said this below but...

does TiVoPC with a HDHomeRun get guide data for the clear QAM channels? can you set season passes on them then?

10. philhu

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ
    No, clearQAM is not yet supported. It will take alot to do it, as standard Tivos do not support it either.

clearQAM *IS* supported in the SiliconDust utilities, like VMC Viewer

11. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Now you're confusing the ability to set the remote to a different ir code and the ability to set the device to accept a different ir code.

12. TechDreamer

TechDreamer New Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Torrance, CA
    There was a thread about this product when it first came out and the conclusion was that it was the biggest pos Tivo had ever released. I don't think one Tivo employee was even willing to post about it. Maybe they were embarrased. My guess is that Tivo had nothing to do with the development of the product. I think they just licensed their User Interface and let Nero destroy the rest. Nero has released two updates without much progress. Windows 7 is coming and there is no way this can compete with MCE on the PC.

13. qz3fwd

qz3fwd Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Liquid TV sucks donkey d$&k.
    It will BSOD XP if you use Motorola Firewire drivers for transferring from cable box.

14. chjones8

chjones8 New Member

Apr 18, 2009
    I just d/l Liquid TV to give it a try b/c my wife likes the Tivo UI in the livingroom better better than Mediacenter in the bedroom. I have seen that the reviews are quite poor but I thought I would try for myself.

My question is whether anyone has figured out how to use a standard Tivo remote with Liquid TV or even if there is some listing of a button mapping to use the MCE remote. I can use the MCE remote but the menu gets to places that the "left" key wont get out of and I have no idea if there is a button mapped as the "Tivo" button. From what I have read here, I suppose that if I could change my Tivo remote to remote 0, it Liquid TV would then see it? If so, how can this be done?

chj

15. newskilz

newskilz New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    To change the Tivo remote id/code: Cover the front of the DVR remote and hold down the PAUSE and TiVo buttons for 5 seconds, until the red LED on the remote lights up. Then use the number keys to enter any digit from 0-9, 0 in your case: the remote LED should flash. Then your Tivo remote should be working on remote id/code 0.

16. chjones8

chjones8 New Member

Apr 18, 2009
    I tried this and the remote responded but it did not work on the Liquid TV. I also noticed that I can assign the remote any id (0-9) and the Tivo still recognizes it. Is this proper or does this mean the change is not being made to the code?

17. Ed_Hunt

Ed_Hunt Pokerpro

Jan 2, 2004
    Patterson,...
    I have had Liquid TV for about 2 weeks now and I have to say its not ready for prime time. I am a huge Tivo supporter, I have 3, and have been since its inception so I really wanted this to work well. It doesn't. It just hangs in different places. It just has bugs yet. The concept is good and I think in a couple more releases it might be worth while but not yet. By the way I am running Vista 64 so it might be better on XP or 32.

18. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    I'm using Vista 32-bit and maybe that's why I've experienced no bugs that hang LiquidTV entirely, but I would certainly agree that this is a half-baked, unfinished product that has no business being released as anything but a beta. Here are some of the bugs and defects that I've experienced so far in all versions up to and including 1.4.4.100. I'm hoping someone has found a workaround for at least one of these.

• The screen resolution is set to 1024 x 768 and cannot be changed. This distorts the picture at my LCD screen's optimum resolution. For example, talking heads turn into fat heads. :rolleyes: Anyone have a solution for this? You can't do it in Settings. All Settings does is offer the suggestion to change your screen resolution in Windows, which may mess up your desktop and make other programs look terrible. What the...??? :thumbsdown: I know of no other competing product that is this lame. This has nothing to do with Aspect Correction Mode, TV Aspect Ratio or anything else, just the Screen Resolution setting. Totally lame.

• LiquidTV doesn't seem able to read the correct time and date of programs on the two TiVo HD boxes in the house, before or after transferring them. For example, a program recorded on February 7th at 6 PM looks like it was recorded on February 8th at 2AM! Yet after transfer, if I walk over to one of the TiVo HDs and navigate to look at the computer from there, I see the correct time in that program's information, 2/7 at 6 PM! At least, I see that today...on previous transfers the time looked wrong from that direction too. When I check the program Guide in LiquidTV it seems to know the correct time so this problem can't be related to anything about my system. Ideas? :confused:

• LiquidTV conflicts with Vista's Sleep mode, waking the PC up every 15 minutes or so even if you have completely exited the program, probably to check in with the network. :mad: The best I can say about this one is that Microsoft's Windows Media Center does the same annoying thing. Certain companies seem to make the arrogant assumption that you have dedicated your PC to only use their own software as a media PC, not understanding that many of us will use this on our regular desktops or laptops along with other applications. I see nothing in Settings that will allow me to control when this happens. The only way I have found to disable this is to go into Windows Task Manager and kill the process NeroLiquidTVBackground.exe. I chose that one at random and it seems to do the trick. The process restarts when I reopen the program. Has anyone found another way to solve this?

• The remote supplied with Nero LiquidTV stops working sometimes. Rebooting the PC is the only way I've found to fix this. This may be because I have killed a process (see above) even though that process restarts when I reopen the program, or maybe it happens just because I exited and reopened the program a few times, or maybe it just conflicts with other USB stuff going on in the system at other times, I don't know, but regardless of how it dies, does anyone have any idea as to how to fix this without a reboot?

• Installing an upgrade never works. Installation always hangs while trying to access one specific .dll (I forget which one, sorry). That dll is probably being used by one of the LiquidTV's background processes or services that stay on in the system even after you exit the program. This makes me thing the upgrade installation process was not professionally tested. I gave up trying to figure out why this happens, and just uninstalled the original installation and then slogged through a clean install including the entire setup each time. Which brings me to my next point...

• When uninstalling, it asks you if you want to retain your files BUT THEN DELETES THEM ANYWAY along with the entire folder. Frak! :mad: This includes deletion of any other files you may have left in the TiVo programs folder (for example, a program I had spent quite a long time converting and editing...luckily I had already burned the end-product to a disc...). I should have known better, in fact the first time I copied all my files out anyway but the second remove/uninstall I forgot to do this. Again, I think the upgrade installation process was not thoroughly and professionally tested. Shame on them.

• The complete and utter lack of any online knowledge base or FAQ beyond the basic instruction manual information is insulting too. Apparently nobody's really interested in supporting this product at Nero or TiVo.

OK I feel better now... That's not all of the problems I've encountered but these are the most glaring. I may or may not send these one-by-one to Nero tech support, I'll let you know, but since Nero released the product this way they deserve to have these problems made public. I'm restraining myself from getting into a comparison with competing products right now, maybe some other time. Anyone have comments or ideas on any of the above?

19. RMBittner

RMBittner Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Charlotte,...
    I have to add my negatives to those already stated. I love the TiVo interface, love the ability to wirelessly send TiVo'd programs from the PC to my S3, but the program constantly malfunctions. Specifically, after a day or two of not "waking" it, my attempts to start the program and actually watch something I've recorded result in an error message that my "TiVo service has been discontinued. Re-enter the [LiquidTV] service number." So I do that, and then I'm told I've entered the "wrong" number too many times and I need to contact CS. And then the program shuts down completely.

I've had untold e-mail exchanges with the Nero support people (in Germany, I think) to get this fixed -- and I've uninstalled and re-installed the program twice -- and yet the same things go wrong every time they've told me they've fixed my account and I've downloaded the "upgrades."

They have one more chance to get this right for me. After that, I'm requesting a full refund.

Bob

20. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Trying today to get the LiquidTV remote IR blaster kit to control a Comcast Digital Transport Adapter. No luck so far. I've selected "Comcast Digital Adapter" in the setup menu. I've tried putting the LiquidTV IR blaster next to the DTA, and I've also tried putting the DTA's remote IR receiver next to the LiquidTV IR blaster. Nothing so far. Anyone have any success with this? Ideas?