TiVoing digital antenna channels

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by dheagle2@verizon, Aug 23, 2007.

1. dheagle2@verizon

dheagle2@verizon New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    What happens to TiVo when over-the-air (antenna) signals go digital only in Feb. 2009? My TiVo will not tune to digital channels (Ch. 3.1, 32.1, 11.2, etc.).

2. Chester_Lampwick

Chester_Lampwick Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...
    You'll need a set top box for use in conjuction with the TiVo. It has limited appeal though, because most people won't want to turn HD signals into a 480i analog picture. If one hasn't been built for ATSC by then, you might as well subscribe to digital cable or satellite, most current hardware works fine with Series 2 TiVos and will continue to do so for quite a while I expect.

Only 19% of the populace gets plain old off air TV.....

3. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    The Series 3 TiVos can record off the air HD channels right now, without a cable card. The Series 3 TiVos are the Series 3 THX box and the TiVoHD box. Both can detect and record OTA HD signals.

For the Series 1 and Series 2 TiVos you'll have to get a tuner that the TiVo can control via IR or Serial. This will be a challenge, as they probably won't be on the list of choices in the Guided Setup.

Good luck.

4. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    I don't think that's necessarily true. I'm sure that Tivo will add them once the boxes become readily available.

5. Chester_Lampwick

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...
  6. stevereis

stevereis New Member

Feb 23, 2006
    DFW
    You can actually do this now, but it's a little kludgy: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=5117975&&#post5117975

You need an old Voom satellite receiver that can also receive OTA ATSC signals. Voom is defunct, so the only source is eBay. Make sure you read the fine print or query the seller to make sure any receiver you bid on has been activated and can receive OTA signals. I got mine for ~$50 each, including shipping.

7. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    Chester_Lampwick,

Do you know if a Series 2 TiVo can control the Sylvania STB? It looks interesting. I wonder if it has a serial port?

robomeister

8. Chester_Lampwick

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...
    I don't know, I was speculating. What I do know is that the Voom solution Shawn95GT illustrates in that last post from stevereis does work. For the $50 or less that you can get one on eBay, I think that's the way to go. It's a Motorola/General Instuments box so the IR code definately exist in the TiVo software.

BTW Humax makes a HD OTA receiver too.

Try this link or Google ATSC set top receivers....

9. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Yep, it works pretty good with a Voom box. The only issue is that you can't just tell the Tiv o software that you are going to use OTA and set top box. So, you have to say you have Directv or some other method to get the option for controlling a set top box. And the problem wit that is that you end up having to delete a buch of channels that you do not get.

I wish Tivo would have an option to use OTA and a set top box.