TivoHD woes after upgrade

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by TerryTT, Aug 12, 2007.

1. TerryTT

TerryTT New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    I installed a seagate 750gb drive into my new TivoHD and its starting to have issues.

The system seems to grind to a halt whan recording; menu selections take a few minutes etc and the picture stutters and breaksup.

Also recordings are in folders, each movie seems to be broken into 3 parts, is that normal?

I guess my drive isnt good? or its too slow?

2. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    I wouldn't have messed with it till the warranty was up since it's a brand new product line. Bummer. Good luck with returning it if it's something other than an issue with the new hard drive you put in. Maybe you zapped something on the main board when you were in there swapping out the drive.

3. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    It sounds like your new drive is defective and/or overheating. The standard 750Gb Seagate drive runs pretty darn hot. Members have seen an abnormally high percentage of drive failures when using the [non-DB35] 750Gb Seagate to expand storage with the Series3.

I would return that Seagate drive and buy a Seagate DB35 instead, or at the very least, another drive that will dissipate less heat.

I assume you kept the original TivoHD drive.

4. TerryTT

TerryTT New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Why? i didnt break any seals, id just put the old drive back in.

5. TerryTT

TerryTT New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    It is running very hot; i took the lid off and felt the heat, the drive was very hot to touch.

Ive shut the unit down for now; ill put the old drive back in and see if it has the same issues but i doubt it... i might go for the samsung range as they are supposed to be cool and quiet.

Thanks!

6. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    You should verify that the case fan is working too. Perhaps when you took off the lid, you dislodged something? Also, even with the original drive, verify the temperature under the System Information screen isn't too high.

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    What is considered too high?

8. TerryTT

TerryTT New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    I ran the unit with the lid off and the fan is running; its by the psu, seems to be no exhaust or intake to pull air accross the hard drive area.

Ill run it tonight and check the temp; then put the original drive in and repeat. Thanks.

9. TerryTT

TerryTT New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Oh and is the breakup of programs into 2 or 3 parts normal? or is that when the box cant access the drive for a moment?

10. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Ya, I returned the 500GB Seagate I had purchased for my Tivo HD upgrade because I was concerned of these exact issues, heat levels, noise, etc.

I purchased a 500GB Deskstar instead. I will run the Hitachi Diagnostics on the drive when I get it and set it up for the lower performance acoustic profile which should also keep the temperature down.

This is all assuming that I end up keeping the Tivo HD.

11. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    No, that is not normal.

The only time you would normally expect to see multiple "parts" of a program is if the box reboots during a recording.

12. TerryTT

TerryTT New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Well i did some temp checks, didnt seem to be any difference, 45c ish. I put the old drive in and am running some recording tests but so far so good, so it looks like my seagate 750gb drive might be junk.

13. doormat

doormat Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Vegas
    Yea, I'm going with a Samsung Spinpoint 500GB for just the heat and noise reason. It gets the best reviews for heat and noise.