TivoHD with only 5 minutes of use!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by xhopefullookx, Sep 7, 2007.

1. xhopefullookx

xhopefullookx New Member

Sep 7, 2007
    So Im sure someone has already started this, or someone can help. I tried searching and didnt find anything similar that assisted me, so here we go.

Just got my TivoHD, worked fine for...5 minutes? after setup. Then my picture froze, but the UI was still useable, i just got the old "no signal on cable line in"

so...i changed the channels...nothing
    checked my connections, they're fine
    reset my box...and it worked! Then...five minutes later, same thing

so I got tired of resetting my box for 5 minutes of shows.

im running the tivo on standard coaxial cable running from the wall, the cable IS hooked up to an amplifier and has to be if I want any decent picture.

Im renting my room and dont feel like sharing my tivo so moving it to another tv in the house away from the amp (if it is the amp) isnt an option. ANy help would be appreciated!

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Flat cable? Sounds like old twin lead antennae wire. Is this cable TV or over-the-air antennae?

3. xhopefullookx

xhopefullookx New Member

Sep 7, 2007
    i realized my error, typed it up at 3am haha its standard Coaxial running from the wall

4. DrVali

DrVali New Member

Apr 18, 2004
    I'm having the same problem.

I have cable that works with the old TIVO and it also has an HD stream which I can see on the TV.

When I plug in the HD Tivo to the coax cable, I occasionally get video, but usually I get nothing but a grey screen and the Tivo-generated "Searching for Signal" box.

I'm wondering if my cable system is using the new SDV Format which apparently borks Tivos.

FWIW, I'm in Phenix City, Alabama and I'm using Cable TV of East Alabama, whose customer service is in the bottom 5% of cable companies.

The Forum won't let me insert the links for SDV Format but google for SDV cable and you'll find some info on it.

5. DrVali

DrVali New Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Filler post so I can get to 5 posts.

6. DrVali

DrVali New Member

Apr 18, 2004
  7. angel35

angel35 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    NEW YORK CITY
    I have a coaxial cable runing from wall to a amp. splitter and then to tivo HD. Picture is a mess.A bar down the middle and it also has ghosts. The thing is if i plug in the same coaxial cable in to S3 tivo box the picture is great.No cable cards in boxs.ON the Tivo HD The pictures are bad on CBS,NBC,ABC.All other channels are good.Can any one tell me any thing??