TiVoHD With No Cable Card (The "I am Impatient" Thread)

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by PSXBatou, Nov 27, 2007.

1. PSXBatou

PSXBatou New Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Sacramento, CA

Advertisements

My Tivo HD will arrive tomorrow from Amazon, knowing how impatient I am and how waiting till next Friday for my Cable Cards is going to drive me nuts what will happen if i just plug the comcast cable in to my TiVoHD? Should i be able to see the local HD channels & basic/extended digital cable? I know I wont be able to see Starz and HBO that I subscribe to but I was curious what if anything at all i would be able to see.

Also can I pre setup wireless networking, download updates, register the box, etc before installing the cable cards?

I currently have an TiVo series 2, original everything inside it still, I love it to death and I can't wait to get rid of this POS Motorola HD DVR for something good :)

I tried to go in to a Comcast office today and get cards, they told me people had to come out and install them. She said "we want to be sure that it is installed correctly" to which I replied "I do too, thats why I want to do it myself". It basically went downhill from there and I walked out of the office Cable Card less. Good thing i never gave her my account number :p

Thanks

2. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    It depends on your provider and what package you have subscribed to. You will certainly get your analog stations if you have them with your S2. You *may* get local HD stations but you most certainly not will get ESPN HD - the non-local HD stations are typically encrypted and you need the CableCARDs to decrypt them. If your provider simulcasts digital as well as analog, you'll get the analog mappings for now and that will change once the CableCARDs are operational. The digital versions are typically clearer.

Not only can you, but you really should. Get everything set up so you know the hardware is working. Once you've got the CableCARDs installed, re-run guided setup to get your new channel lineup. You've got a dual-tuner analog TiVo until the CableCARDs are installed - you may as well enjoy it!

If you've got a set of rabbit ears lying around, hook them up too (the TiVo supports both at the same time) - you may get some OTA HD to watch/record.

.../Ed

3. PSXBatou

PSXBatou New Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    I have what used to be called the "Digital Gold" package with HD (Comcast told me this package no longer exists), basically all basic/extended digital + Starz, HBO, Encore, and the Plexs & HD for all three premiums. I have Local HD, Discovery HD (HDT now) a music channel, basically all the 900's are open to me except NFL HD since they decided to move that out of expanded basic and in to another rip off package.

So basically I would be running the setup to get things going and then running it again? Would I have to enter my WEP wifi key and setup options both times or will it remember it from when i ran it without the Cable Cards? It will do dual tuner with only one cable line and no cable cards in it?

Thanks for the advice, basic cable or not I'll be itching to setup the TiVo when i get it. My Series 2 uses a serial like cable that connects to a motorola cable box and controls it via that serial cable to change channels etc, its not direct wired in to the box from the cable line.

4. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    You will not have to re-enter your wireless config when you change CableCARD config.

5. TiVo Troll

TiVo Troll Registered Troll

Mar 22, 2006

Advertisements

Gold is gone for new Comcast subs. Now the cheapest package with premium channels is Preferred Plus. But you can add one premium to the new Preferred package to get the Gold equivalent. (Comcast just raised their premiums $2 monthly, so the current equivalent probably costs more than Gold.)

W/o CC's you'll only receive unencrypted Limited Basic channels. In my area, S3 TiVo's receive many Limited Basic channels from Comcast by tuning to their OTA channel numbers (in the cable line-up), instead of the actual cable unencrypted channel number. That's great because it means that, if you include the OTA listing in the EPG, even if it can't be received, the info for setting up a manual recording is only one line away in TiVo's EPG!

For example, OTA, KING Seattle is on analog channel 5 and digital 5-1. With CC's On Comcast it's on channel 5 analog and 105 digital. But unencrypted KING is on channel 5 analog and 79-4 and/or 5-1 digital. What's interesting is that some channels can only be received on an S3 w/o CC's on their OTA equivalent cable numbers, not on their actual unencrypted digital cable channels. When using S3's Signal Strength Meter the actual channels show a strong signal but no picture; the 'virtual' ones show a strong signal with a picture.

Sony's hi-def DVR, on which channels can be manually mapped when not using CableCARDS can only receive the unencrypted channels on their actual channel numbers (79-1 through 121-??).

6. pcgrrll

pcgrrll Just call me jelly

Nov 14, 2002
    My Christmas present just arrived today. A new TiVo HD for me! Yay! Now I'm sitting on hold with FIOS so I can get my stinking cable cards. Waiting sucks.

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    ...and of course all of the basic & expanded basic *ANALOG* channels.

8. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    :eek::eek::eek:

Hi Stranger!

:D

9. TiVo Troll

TiVo Troll Registered Troll

Mar 22, 2006
    Yes, of course!

But, according to this post, which sounds right, all the Basic analog good stuff will disappear if CableCARDS are used with Limited Basic service.

"Any clear QAM channels that you are not supposed to have - like the on demand movies your neighbors are watching, NFL network in HD, etc will vanish with the cc installation - you only get what Comcast tells the cc to let you have. You can't even tune clear QAM unless you pull the cc.

Any analog channels you are not supposed to have will vanish as well. If you are on limited/lifeline basic and they never put the trap on your line, you could still get ESPN, Comedy Central, etc analog but once you install the cc those will go away - you can tune them but you get a grey screen and no signal."

10. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    the main thing you want to do is get the TiVo setup in some fashion and then connect to TiVo in order to get updates downloaded and applied. Bug fixes for cable cards are in the updates so getting them applied will let the install go smoother

11. Rose4uKY

Rose4uKY Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Kentucky
    I just got my HD Tivo last weekend. I plugged it up and it working with just my analog channels. But I let it get the most recent software update. My only problem was having the cable cards put in. After two hours on Tuesday he left and they thought I had bad cards. I put them back in myself had my cable company run hits again and I had most all channels but some encrypted ones. Found out cable guy gave a wrong set of numbers . This is very important each card has a serial # and he each card has a host ID they have to be 100% right. My guy had given the same host id for both of my cards. After another tech came out today and spent an hour and half they finally got the numbers right and sent a hit to this card and I was fine my encrypted channels came in. I said do whatever you just did to the other card and they did and I am fixed now. I need to rerun the guided setup to find the channels and I am good to go.

I hope it stays that way and I have no problems anymore. I have a question though lets say a regular show like my soaps on ABC there not HD but will the picture still be better if I record them on the HD ABC even though the show is not HD. Or is that just a waste cause I tried it today and when I looked at the file on Tivo to go man was it big compared to the ones on the regular ABC. But cable messed up my signal on Tuesday and my regular analog channels were fuzzy that's why I did it plus the cable guy made me not have internet from Tuesday up until today. But now I am fixed and my regular ABC channel is no longer fuzzy but I still wondered if the recording was better on the HD channel even though the program wasn't HD. I know you only get 20 hours of HD so will Tivo think that it was HD cause the file is so big? I am new to HD. Thanks, Rose

12. PSXBatou

PSXBatou New Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    Well I got it setup. I had to use help from some other threads here to get the TiVo to see out via my Cisco PIX 501, but I went through setup otherwise without a hitch.

I noticed that it is on version 8.1, is there a way to force it to start updating itself since it looks like Its going to wait to connect again? Amazon UnBox doesn't see it yet, everything is enabled like with my S2 but it can only see the S2, same with MRV the S2 can see the S3 but not vice versa, I am thinking this is a Firmware thing since my S2 is on 9.1.

I get very few channels, I was a bit disappointed that they even encrypt the local HD channels 903, 906, 908, 910, 913 I was kinda hoping that they would be there. Lack of channels or not I'm still really excited (kinda seems strange eh?) :)

Thanks everyone for the advice :)

13. brnscofrnld

brnscofrnld where is this place?

Mar 29, 2005
    NW. DC.
    Just setup my TiVoHD and have all the "free" digital channels with no guide data (yes, i've seen where they don't supply the data for those channels without the cc's).

I plan on getting the cable cards, but Comcrap is being a big PITA about letting me have the cable cards without rolling a truck... ARGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! Why?!?

14. segadc

segadc New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    I bought the Tivo HD (that deal with lifetime) yesterday with free shipping and it will arrive on Wednesday! I am not getting Fios until the week after. I didn't think it would be arriving so soon. Not sure if it is even worth connecting analog cable to it. I am getting an LCD but still researching so I will either get it today or next week. I might just have my Tivo HD but nothing to connect it with!

15. PSXBatou

PSXBatou New Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    I found 3 locals in HD, 3-1 10-1 & 13-1. Still have no clue about the FOX HD channel. I notice its found a lot "numberhere-numberhere" (i.e. 124-2) channels which show a "*" for the description and "to be announced" for the guide (Local HD ones I found show this way), how can I tell which ones are unencrypted? Is there a way the TiVo can scan them and add the ones that have a signal to my list? I've been looking at the settings and can't find anything other than to re scan all the channels again.

Thanks

16. pcgrrll

pcgrrll Just call me jelly

Nov 14, 2002
    Hi! :D

17. qili

qili New Member

May 30, 2006
    has anyone investigated what will happen to a tivo without tivo subscription? would it still tune in the channels, either ota, clear cable or encrypted?

just curious.

18. steelforce

steelforce New Member

Apr 29, 2005
    I think I'm in the same boat here. New TiVO HD (Goodbye, rotten Comcast DVR). Seattle area with "Basic" service, no CableCard.

I rescanned all the channels, and I'm able to view the following channels in HD through my TiVO:

4-1 (ABC)
    5-1 (NBC)
    7-1 (CBS)
    9-1,2,3,4,5 (PBS)
    13-1 (FOX)
    16-1 (KONG)
    22-1 (MYQ2)

However, the TiVO doesn't get any listings for them. If I get a CableCard, will I get listings? I'm loathe to deal with Comcast any more than I have to - but at the same time, I'd really prefer to be able to schedule recordings via the guide.

19. segadc

segadc New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Yeah I didn't even notice that you can get HD channels through basic cable line. I got a new TV and notice that. So when I get my Tivo HD on Wednesday I can at least check out those stations. Too bad your Tivo does not have a guide. I will check out on when I get mine.

20. PSXBatou

PSXBatou New Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't think you will get any listings for it until you get a cable card. Since the comcast for KCRA Hd (ch. 3) is 903, and I am getting it on 3-1 without cable cards. I don't believe there is channel data since it is going off of comcast in my local areas listings.

I'll know more (and possibly have a rant or two) once they roll their truck out on Friday. Between 1-5 (which means around 5:30 usually and the guy just wants to get out of there fast to end his day)