TivoHD + Wireless G Adapter + WEP = No worky?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by gregggreg, Aug 21, 2007.

1. gregggreg

gregggreg Member

Jan 10, 2002
    I have a TivoHD that is up and running just fine. The wired ethernet works fine, but I don't like running the ethernet cable along my ceiling, so I bought the official Tivo Wireless G USB Network Adapter since I already have a wireless network set up.

It seems to work fine with no encryption, but I can't get the thing to work at all with WEP encryption. I haven't yet tried WPA, but I can once I figure out how to enable it on my linux box. Has anyone successfully gotten the Tivo Wireless Adapter to work on the TivoHD with WEP encryption? I've tried inputting the password as plain text and in hexidecimal mode (by switching modes with the INFO button) and neither seem to work. I've also tried rebooting the Tivo, unplugging and replugging in the adapter, even changing passwords on the router. And the WEP password works fine on my macbook and linux box, so I know I have the password correct. I finally only got it to work by temporarily turning off encryption, but that's not a long term solution for me.

And by the way, I know that WEP isn't as secure as WPA, so I don't need to hear that. Like I said I'm willing to try WPA if others report that that works fine with my setup, I just haven't bothered upgrading to it yet.

I'd love to go through the Tivo online support to find help on this issue, but their customer support site has been down since at least last night. :rolleyes: Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    Where did you get your HEX password key from. The router?

The text to hex algorithm varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. TiVo uses the same algorithm that Linksys equipment uses. So if you're not using Linksys (Cisco) you will potentially need to use the HEX key. That can be found most likely on one of your router menu screens.

Please don't be insulted if this is obvious to you, you can never tell the level of expertise at the beginning of a post (though you are running a Linux box :))

3. gregggreg

gregggreg Member

Jan 10, 2002
    My router is actually one of my linux boxes, running madwifi in AP mode on a linksys A+G PCI card. The hex I entered was what was reported by iwconfig which appears to be the ascii code for the plain-text password. I've used the password on my macbook, other linux/windows dualboot desktop, and my nokia N800 just fine. Is there some other hex code I can generate/find via iwconfig that you know of? Thanks.

4. psyton

psyton New Member

Dec 27, 2002
    iwlist key to be sure the current key and bit size is what you expect it to be.

5. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    I have no knowledge of linux at all but I can tell you the hex key it's looking for is definately NOT just the ascii representation of the text key.

If you want to PM me your text key I'll plug it into my router and let you know the HEX key it generates.

6. TXTivoUser

TXTivoUser Jeep Ninja

Nov 27, 2002
    Denton, Texas
    I've got WEP set up on my side via the ActionTek wireless router that VZ gave me with my FIOS install.

On the back of the router was a key, wrote it down, typed it into the default screen (eg, did not change to Hex or ASCII mode) and it just worked for me.

So are y'all saying that when you type in the key, it actually takes that string and does ASCII -> Hex conversion? Seems overkill to me, especially since my WEP key (generated by the router at manufacturing) is a Hex looking key (0-9, A-F values).

7. gregggreg

gregggreg Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Are you sure? I googled for wep key password to hex converters and found these:

http://www.andrewscompanies.com/tools/wep.asp

http://www.csgnetwork.com/wepgeneratorcalc.html

And they generate the same hex that I see in iwconfig/iwlist which is the hex for the ascii code of the letters in the password. Try it out, type in "testy" for a 40/64 bit key and you will see that the output is 7465737479 where 0x74=t, 0x65=e, etc. Is this different than the output in your router when you type in 'testy'?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that the hex that I see from iwconfig and iwlist is the correct hex key and is what i typed into my tivo and it didn't work. When I get home I'll confirm that typing the same hex key into my macbook works. If it does then I guess my only option at that point will be to try to get WPA working and see if I can get the Tivo to work with that.

8. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    I'm assuming you're not one of my neighbors. My text key is iluvtx00 and my primary hex key is 064dca8c07. No mapping to ascii codes.

I do get three other codes but TiVo only seems to recognize the primary code.

9. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Why not just come up with a hex key yourself? Seems like that would solve any problem.

10. psyton

psyton New Member

Dec 27, 2002
    As mentioned there are variations among vendors, since there isn't a standard defined (which is why everyone recommends hex values). http://www.wigle.net/jigle/wep.pl gens up the most commonly used ascii key translations.
    From what I observe, when Tivo attempts to sync to an AP during the setup phase, it tries most all the keys above (including 40bit Prism II key 0-3), except Prism II (D-Link, Apple). I also see some unknown 104bit variation I do not recognize (it may be that wep.pl just didn't implement yet another well known algorithm): 81 CC 11 32 88 F3 AA D7 B4 40 E9 3C F1

I guess the point of this exercise is that it should work just fine w/ ascii keys, no need for you to convert to hex and enter them in. I confirmed expected operation on an S2, using all variations of the key "testy".

11. gregggreg

gregggreg Member

Jan 10, 2002
    OK, after attempting to get WPA running for 2 hours and not succeeding, I started playing with the Tivo menus and finally got it working with WEP. The trick was that instead of selecting my ESSID from the list, I selected the "Enter network" from the top right corner. When I did this and typed in my ESSID, then it asked me if my encryption was WEP, WPA, WPA2, or None. There isn't this question when I selected my ESSID from the list. Then I entered my password in alphanumeric and it still didn't work. But then setting it in HEX worked whereas it didn't before when I selected my ESSID from the list. So the only thing I can guess is that when you select the ESSID from the list the Tivo tries to do something fancy to determine what kind of encryption you are using and in my case it guessed wrong. So going the other route where I told it I was using WEP, it finally worked. Hopefully this might help someone else in my situation in the future. Thanks for the help, guys.

12. gregggreg

gregggreg Member

Jan 10, 2002
    The problem was that no matter how I set the key on my linux machine (either via a text password or HEX), the HEX didn't work when I entered it in the Tivo, even when I specifically set the HEX to be 1234567890 on my linux box for instance, when I entered this on my Tivo it still didn't work. Anyway I got it working by forcing Tivo to ask my what kind of encryption I was using.

13. gregggreg

gregggreg Member

Jan 10, 2002
    But I am one of your neighbors and this whole thread was a big ruse to get you to give me your WEP password. I am now going to start downloading obscene amounts of illegal content on your network now, sucker! Muhahaha!

OK, seriously I beat my head against this problem for too long and I need some sleep.