TivoHD vs. Roamio transfer rates

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by qunewsguy, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Sep 9, 2015 #1 of 18
    qunewsguy

qunewsguy Member

Sep 19, 2006

Advertisements

I'm using Tivo Desktop Plus to transfer files for viewing on my Tivos from a PC. I've had a TivoHD for years and transfers for a 30-minute SD program typically took around 25 minutes or so over wi-fi (not sure what the transfer speed actually is) allowing me to watch without buffering.

I just purchased a Roamio on a lifetime service deal a couple days ago and I'm less than pleased with the transfer speeds. Transferring the same 30-minute show to my Roamio takes roughly an hour, with the best transfer rate I've been able to be achieve being 2.56 mbps.

Anybody know what might be causing this? The TranscoderHost routinely hits 75% on my CPU with the TivoHD, but hovers around 6% transferring to the Roamio. My router didn't move, the Tivo is in exactly the same place as the old one. Ethernet or MoCa not really options for me.

Also, I tried transferring some saved shows directly from the TivoHD to the Roamio. Some worked (SLOWLY) but others failed out about 10 minutes in with the Roamio saying the connection had been dropped. Hoping I don't have a bad unit...

2. Sep 9, 2015 #2 of 18
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I can tell you that the normal transfer speeds for a Roamio are dramatically faster than for a TiVo HD.

I'd start by eliminating wifi links, if only temporarily, to see what kind of speeds you can get.

3. Sep 9, 2015 #3 of 18
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    First problem. Something is really bad with that speed. Is it a Windows PC? If so, you can get the rate from Taskmgr. TiVo Network Diags also have a transfer rate display. I have a wireless computer and a wireless Roamio. I have a 100Mbps transfer rate since it's a basic Roamio. Others have reported 140 - 160 on the Plus & Pro.

Second problem. You are not alone. No known solution. You may find a small (2-3GB) file does transfer. You can also use kmttg to make an .mpg file and use the video sharing function to get it back to the Roamio. That works but it's a pain.

4. Sep 9, 2015 #4 of 18
    waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I use something called Networx to monitor speeds.

5. Sep 9, 2015 #5 of 18
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

It looks like it will monitor & help with my internet connections. Can it work to show me transfers within my local network? The price is good. :)

My router has the Ookla test built-in. Going from Roamio to PC, I like Win8.1 Taskmgr. It always agrees with the TiVo diags.

6. Sep 9, 2015 #6 of 18
    HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    wmcbrine hit the nail on the head. It's your Roamio wifi connection. Roamio's wifi sux basically and you'd be advised to use ethernet or MoCa or if you must use wifi, use a third party wifi to ethernet adapter or at the very least a TiVo one.

7. Sep 9, 2015 #7 of 18
    waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Yes. I use it for that all the time.

And yes, free is good. Just be careful when you install, in case it wants to install other software. I don't remember. Just read the prompts in case.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  8. Sep 9, 2015 #8 of 18
    qunewsguy

qunewsguy Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I'm hesitant to do MoCa due to already having splitters (and PoE filters that were a pain to get right) in place for tuning adaptors. Ethernet's a tough option since the router is on a different floor than the Tivo in question and it's not a direct drop through the walls. If I sprung for the branded Wireless N adaptor (annoyed I can't simply use my old "G") would that give me the signal gain I'd need?

Hate to spend nearly $60 for something that may or may not be a real solution... if I can't get this sorted out I'm seriously considering sending the Roamio back. If I'd known the signal was going to be this bad I'm not sure I would've made the purchase!

9. Sep 9, 2015 #9 of 18
    HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Has anyone actually tried using the wireless G adapter on a Roamio?

There should be wifi to ethernet adapters cheaper than $60 available on Amazon, Walmart or BB.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If you hate to spend that $60, then return the unit. The internal wireless isn't so good. I use an ASUS EA-N66R on my Roamio. Very good. There is also the Linksys WUMC710 with four ports, which connects my Mini. Everything (except my printer) is 802.11ac and that's the price of high reliability. Sorry to put it bluntly, but I only use the built-in wireless on my Roku 3 and TV. I don't stream on the TV. My Mini worked through two walls with the TiVo wireless N, but it's really the router that's the work horse in this equation. Since everything goes through it, it needs to do the heavy lifting. I use a Netgear R7500. Any system is only as good as it's weakest link.

11. qunewsguy

qunewsguy Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Thanks for all the info everyone! I may start with a router upgrade and see where that takes me. I'm still on a Wireless G router so even the upgrade to N or ac throughout the house can't hurt.

12. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Wireless can get interference, so would start by checking the wireless channel on the router. Choose channel 1, 6, or 11, and never AUTO. Changing/upgrading routers/adapters may not fix it.

Interference can cause slow data transfers, even losing network connections.
    It can come from various devices such as cordless phones, microwaves which should be at least 3 ft away.

13. qunewsguy

qunewsguy Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Definitely something fishy going on on the Roamio's end, and I'd almost be tempted to start a separate thread: with the Roamio connected via ethernet or with wifi, my internet connection slows to a crawl. I get "internet not connected" messages every few minutes on my computer. If I'm connected via wi-fi, my iPad repeatedly loses its wi-fi connection. Disconnect the power to the Roamio, and like magic everything is back to normal. I've got a 10mbps link through Cox, so I don't think that's an issue.

14. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I get about 8mb/s on the S3, roughly 3GB/hr. on wireless G.
    Roamio gets 30mb/s, 10GB/hr on its wireless N.
    KMTTG tells me these rates on downloads.

15. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Connected with the same hardware, kmttg is not as fast as Desktop. It's great for other stuff, but the highest rate pulling from my basic Roamio has been 50 to 60Mbps (shown by kmttg). Using Desktop, with either Bonjour or Beacon, I always get 99Mbps.

Slightly off topic. When I pull with my Roamio from my Premiere I get 80+Mbps. When I use the Premiere to pull from the Roamio it's always 50+Mbps. Yet when pulling from either by my PC I get 98-100Mbps with Desktop. Very strange.

16. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    That sounds like the difference between extracting program streams (slower) and transport streams (faster), not between Desktop and kmttg per se. Either program can use either mode, but they may have different defaults.

17. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'll have to check that. I have the box checked for "fastest" transfer mode.

18. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    Yes, "fastest" = transport stream mode.