TivoHD: Tuning certain channels causes pairing screen to pop up

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Zaph32, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Zaph32

Zaph32 New Member

May 22, 2000
    Can anyone offer troubleshooting help for this?

The setup:

- Cable is into a 3 way splitter in the attic.
    - 1 feed to cablemodem
    - 1 feed to bedroom TivoHD (MCard, working fine)
    - 1 feed to livingroom (the problem child.)
    - Full story here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=5408384#post5408384

The problem is that tuning certain channels causes the Tivo to jump directly into the Cablecard Pairing screen. Also, certain other channels (such as UniversalHD on 805) tune to a black screen only.

The same channels work fine on the bedroom Tivo, so it's not an issue with programming coming into the house (or shouldn't be.)

What I've tried:

- Changing cards. I initially experienced the problem on an S card, now experience it on an M card. It always reported the problem in cablecard slot 1, so I don't think the card itself is at fault.
    - Calling T/W and having them send down my programming. The rep tried this multiple times.

The Tivo seems to be functional with this exception so hopefully it's not defective.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. mike_camden

mike_camden New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    I had the exact same problem happening when the cable company had not properly validated my card in either slot. They had activated both cards, and I received all channels accept HBO and Starz. When I would tune to those, I would get the Tivo CC pairing screen.

The cable company's solution was wrong, which caused me to lose programming on all channels except something like 20 of them. They finally got it all fixed.

What they should have done was enter the correct host id and other info for my card into their system and then apply the proper channel mapping from my account to both cards.

If you have the same problem that I did, it shouldn't take a truck roll to your house.

A call to Tivo asking them to do a three way call with your cable provider should rectify it.

3. Zaph32

Zaph32 New Member

May 22, 2000
    Probably because the "installer" insisted on writing down the numbers manually, then reading them off to the rep. Wrong. Twice.

I will try the 3way with Tivo, thanks.

4. gbrown

gbrown Member

Oct 31, 2006
    The problem with not receiving one or two channels MAY be your splitter. I was not receiving the 2 channels that are at the "top" of cable frequencies (Comcast). I bought a new splitter and the problem went away. There is an issue with older splitters not having the bandwidth to pass through the newer higher frequencies used on digital cable systems.

5. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Check the info in the cablecard menu for both tuners. I'll bet one of them says:

Auth: unknown
    or
    Auth: NOT-SUBSCRIBED
    (Assuming you have Moto cards. If they are SA cards they will have a similar message with different wording).

That would definately indicate a mistake in the authorization and/or pairing by the cable company. They should be able to correct it by you providing the correct host/data numbers over the phone and having them do a hit on the cards.

6. Zaph32

Zaph32 New Member

May 22, 2000
    Well, I just swapped units between the living room and bedroom, and the problem followed the Tivo/cablecard. That would seem to absolve the splitter.

Thanks for the input though - I still hope to get this fixed.

7. Zaph32

Zaph32 New Member

May 22, 2000
    Actually it says MCard Active. And in the cablecard diagnostics, it is listed as "operating normally."

8. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I missed the point that you had m-card. Sorry. Different situation.

9. Zaph32

Zaph32 New Member

May 22, 2000
    For grins I just called another rep and had her send another blast down the wire...no go. She wanted to do a truck roll which I hastily cancelled. I'd rather deal with the reduced functionality than another truck roll appointment at this point. Plus, the card is working on so many other channels that I find it hard to believe it is bad.

10. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Zaph32, for the specific channels that bring up the pairing screen what information about them is displayed in the "Diagnostics" menu? What does the CableCard section of Diagnostics say? Are all the "trouble" channels showing CCI=0x02 (or some other non-zero value)? If that is the case then that would mean to me your card(s) are not properly paired to the headend.

11. Zaph32

Zaph32 New Member

May 22, 2000
    Yes, the CCI Byte shows 0x02. So what's the magic incantation to get them to fix it? I've called and had several zaps sent down the wire to no avail.

12. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    It implies that your account (or at least these outlets) are not authorized for this premium content. If you are paying for these channels have them check the authorization on your account before they send the hit.

13. Zaph32

Zaph32 New Member

May 22, 2000
    Wouldn't that affect all the boxes in the house though? The other oddity about it is that it's channels in the digital classic package, which is purchased as one unit, but many channels in there DO work.

14. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    No it would not affect them all. It is not at all unusual for a customer to have different packages on different devices. For instance, HD in LR, but not bedroom, etc.

When the CSR sends a hit she is looking at a screen that describes all the "outlets" in your home. Each cablecard is a different outlet. Each set top box is a different outlet. If you have their phone service it is a different outlet. What you are allowed to receive is assigned to each outlet. In the Comcast outlet they are listed as A, B, C, etc. When they send a hit, it is sent to the outlet and provides authorization for the levels of service that you are permitted.

15. Zaph32

Zaph32 New Member

May 22, 2000
    Well, I don't know how to get them to fix it. I've called and two reps have sent several hits down the wire, then want a truck roll which I do NOT want. It was a severe problem getting the first one done.

16. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Ask them to verify the HOST id and CableCard ids. Make sure they read them to you and you verify them yourself. Chances are they have the data incorrect in their system.

17. Zaph32

Zaph32 New Member

May 22, 2000
    Tried it. Got the same stuff. Send signals, it doesn't work, they want to send a tech and I don't.

18. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Your card(s) are paired, but NOT validated. Ask the CSR to get someone in dispatch that knows the difference.

A truck roll is a waste of everyone's time to fix this - it will be fixed on the computer at the cable company's end whether you are talking to someone on the phone or the installer in your living room is.

19. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    This is definitely a sign that they do not have the Cablecards setup with the proper authorization in your account to receive those channels. This is such a common problem but is very hard to find the proper person at the cable side that knows what they are doing. If you mention CCI=0x02 and the person you are talking to doesn't know what the heck you are talking about you need to find someone else. You need to insist on speaking to a CableCard expert - once you find the right person the problems should get solved quickly. From my experience you have more chance of finding an "expert" by calling tech support during regular weekday hours. If you can't find someone on the phone then the next best option is to go ahead with the truck roll since those guys at least have direct numbers of people to call that may know what they are doing - so if nothing else it can put you in touch with the right people.

20. secondclaw

secondclaw Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Florida
    I had the same problem with 2 channels. After a truck roll the technician wrote down all the numbers, then left. He left me a voice mail next day stating that problem was found at the head-end and it was fixed - which it was.