TivoHD Tuner Slow

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by randomsolutions, Jul 27, 2007.

1. randomsolutions

randomsolutions New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    My TivoHD is really slow changing between channels. It takes 3-10 seconds per channel before I see anything on the screen.

It says "Searching for Signal on Basic Cable In. See Messages & Settings'/'Troubleshooting' for info."

I've done everything mentioned in the troubleshooting menu.

Has anyone else seen this issue yet? I don't have an HDTV (yet) and I currently have analog cable through TWC.

2. randomsolutions

Jul 25, 2007
    So I called Tivo and reported the problem. He gave the following reasons/explanations:

- Tivo has always taken that long. (I told him I've had both S1, S2 and it's never had that problem.)
    - CableCARDs take about that long to get a signal. (I told him I had Analog cable.)
    - That's how TivoHD works. It first looks for CableCARDs and then looks for your analog tuner. (He then said it would speed up once I got a CableCard.)
    - Tivo may fix the issue with a software upgrade.

Not really sure what to make of what he said, but if you run across this problem please report it!

3. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Channel changing on the Series3 is definitely faster with digital channels (i.e. CableCard).

Analog channels are converted to digital and MPEG-2 encoded before they are decoded and display displayed. Digital channels are directly decoded and displayed.

Analog channels
    1. Analog NTSC decoded by Philips/NXT SAA7138CHL ADCs and digitized
    2. Encoded into MPEG-2 by VIXS XCode 2115
    3. MPEG-2 stream saved to drive buffer
    4. MPEG-2 stream read from drive buffer by Broadcom BCM7401 MPEG-2 decoder

Digital channels
    1. MPEG-2 demodulated from cable using QAM/VSB demodulators
    2. MPEG-2 stream saved to drive buffer
    3. MPEG-2 stream read from drive buffer by Broadcom BCM7401 MPEG-2 decoder

4. randomsolutions

Jul 25, 2007
    Is there any reason it would be slower with a TivoHD than with Series 1 and Series 2?

5. c-surfer

c-surfer Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Diego,...
    I was a disappointed with my Series 3 after upgrading from the Series 1 in December.

Yes, the Series 3 tuner is slow to change channels. I've gotten over it and adapted by using the channel guide to pick channels rather than surfing.

I don't think the cable card helped, but that was 6 months ago.

I'm still very satisfied by the Series 3 and highly recommend it.

6. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I see a lag (using it without CableCARDs at the moment) with channel changing and do see the "Searching" message from time to time, but I wouldn't say it's 3 to 10 seconds.

I haven't called Tivo yet on it, but I will. (Mostly to supress the false error message).

7. randomsolutions

Jul 25, 2007
    Are you using OTA or Standard cable? What are you using for output? Component, Composit, S-Video, or HDMI?

8. crouch

crouch New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    I'm having the same delay issue when changing channels. I get a gray screen for 1-3 seconds with the "searching" message. I have standard cable without cable cards and use composite cables.

There also is some herky-jerkey movement when I switch screens.

I assumed this would be fixed with a software upgrade and would be very disappointed if its inherent in the product. I shouldn't have to revise my way of watching tv (such as the comment above that the person no longer surfs channels and only uses the guide) to accommodate the product.

9. torshire

torshire New Member

May 3, 2006
    USA
    I just "upgraded" from my S1 box to a HD box, and I'm getting the ungodly 6-second delay whenever I change channels. It's not just when "channel surfing" - if I pick a channel from the guide and click on it, it takes 6 seconds before I get any picture.

If TiVo is saying it's always been like this, that's a lie. (I'm using all the same hookups as before, and I'm not using a CableCard.)

Furthermore, my S1 box never had a problem connecting to the remote phone line; this HD box can only connect directly.

I'm very unhappy with the HD box so far, and I might ship it back to TiVo within the 30-day trial period and go back to my much-better Series 1 box.

Technology (and a $300 price tag) is supposed to advance, not take us two steps back!