TivoHD: Swapping 2 S-Cards for a single M-Card

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by lqaddict, Mar 4, 2008.

1. lqaddict

lqaddict New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    New York

Advertisements

After finding out that CableVision will gladly charge me $5.00/mo for an "additional premium outlet" that comes with the second S-Card installed in the same device on top of the two monthly rental fees for the CableCards, and after a long conversation with CV reps, I am getting an M-Card installed in my TivoHD this coming weekend. I will also be fighting a track-roll fee if it comes "standard", since I originally requested an M-Card, and got two S-Cards instead.
    Has anyone done the S-Cards to M-Card swap in their TivoHD? Is the process straight forward and does not require Tivo poweroff, etc?

2. flyerman

flyerman New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Douglaston, NY
    Not yet but was hoping Verizon Fios would get them.

3. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    I had it done a while back when Charter came by to diagnose some issues I was having. The tech swapped out the two SA S-cards for a single SA M-card.

The procedure is very straightforward. Eject the two S-cards. You will get a warning notice on the screen to put them back. Ignore the notice. Put the M-card in the proper slot (Slot 1). You will get a notice that you will need to re-run Guided Setup. You will eventually have to do this, but you or the tech should test out the various channels first before doing this. The tech may also have to re-validate and/or re-pair the new card to your account as well.

The TiVo stays powered on the entire time.

4. gamo62

gamo62 Member

Oct 12, 2002
    I had my 2 S-cards swapped out for one M-card. Took about 30 minutes for the firmware update and to have the new card paired. Works great.

5. lqaddict

lqaddict New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    New York

Advertisements

Thanks for the reply guys.
    My appointment for the M-Card install this Sunday, I will update on my progress on Sunday.

6. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The main issue is you need to run test channels to verify the card is working correctly and DO NOT run guided setup while the installer is there. It just wastes his/her time and will make them want to leave even quicker. Also, you should make sure that the installer installs the card in slot 1 which is the slot to the right, not the left. Once you verify the card can tune the channels you are suppose to receive, then the installer can leave and you can run guided setup.

7. lqaddict

lqaddict New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    New York
    I will make sure both tuners can tune SD, HD and premium channels before I let the guy go.
    I will re-run the guided setup once the tech leaves.
    My first appointment that netted me 2 S-Cards was painless, except we had to wait for the firmware upgrade to be completed that took most of the time.