TivoHD: Slow Downloads

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Zaph32, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Zaph32

Zaph32 New Member

May 22, 2000
    I am experiencing really slow downloads.

The TivoHD is plugged into an old hub I had laying around, along with a slingbox and a gaming switchbox. Both are idle and not using the net at all.

The hub is plugged into an Apple Airport Extreme which is plugged into my cablemodem.

So, there's no wireless between the box and the cablemodem.

All the setup worked fine leading me to believe the networking is functionally fine.

I decided to do a test download of the "iPhone Musical" from the New York Times...and it's taking forever. It has been cooking for a couple hours now and still isn't done...that seems excessive to me for a 5 minute video. I'd hate to try and buy a movie this way!

The slingbox and game switcher appear to be working correctly.

So, my questions:

1. Is there a way to monitor download speed and/or progress?
    2. Is this "normal" for the unit, or does it seem like something is amiss?

2. Zaph32

Zaph32 New Member

May 22, 2000
    To potentially answer my own question...

I rebooted the Tivo and it seems to have improved greatly. I am able to stream radio stations, which broke up before, and it -appears- to be downloading videos in a normal amount of time now.

I'll add back to the thread if the problem recurs.

3. spcedog

spcedog New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Los...
    Isnt it funny how easy it is to forget the simple reboot? I once spent an hour troubleshooting the network settings on my phone that couldnt get mms messages...i finally called in, waited 30 minutes to talk to a csr...whose first words were restart. i blushed in embarrassment.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Get a switch instead of a hub. You will get better performance. I haven't used an Ethernet hub since 1998. I'm surprised they still sell them.

5. pattont

pattont New Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Tennessee
    yea.. hubs are aweful and switches are VERY cheap

6. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Unless you need to do a network sniff in a hurry, then hubs are great! :)