TiVoHD second tuner pixilation/signal issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by bdj6020, Jul 7, 2010.

1. bdj6020

bdj6020 New Member

Feb 20, 2008

Advertisements

I am getting a much worse signal on the second tuner for my TiVoHD and thus I am getting pixilation issues on that second tuner for many of my channels. I have an M channel Cablecard. The following is what my diagnostic screens are showing. Does anyone have any ideas as to why I have such poor signal strength on the 2nd tuner?

Tuner: 0
    Channel: 448
    Frequency: 711000KHz
    Modulation: QAM 256
    Connector Type: RF2
    Signal Source: Cable
    CableCARD Association: CableCARD 1
    Signal Strength: 93
    Signal Lock: YES
    Program Lock: YES
    Search Complete: YES
    SNR: 35 dB
    RS Uncorrected: 0
    RS Corrected: 0

Tuner: 1
    Channel: 448
    Frequency: 711000KHz
    Modulation: QAM 256
    Connector TYPE: RF2
    Signal Source: Cable
    CableCARD Association: CableCARD 1
    Signal Strength: 62
    Signal Lock: YES
    Program Lock: YES
    Search complete: YES
    SNR: 31 dB
    RS Uncorrected:0
    RS Corrected: number increasing slowly

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Definitely a problem with one tuner or the internal splitter. Hope you are in the 30 day return or 90 day full warranty period!

I note your RS Uncorrected are zero for both tuners so the picture quality theoretically should have been equal on either tuner, just as an aside.

3. bdj6020

bdj6020 New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    As I understand it the uncorrected count resets when you change channels. Since I changed channels about five minutes before posting that information I'm not surprised the count is zero.

The TiVo is easily over a year old probably closer to two. Is the internal splitter something that I can replace? I wont have a problem opening it up and servicing that if I need to. As long as it doesn't include anything beyond minor soldering work I'd be willing to give it a try.

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I believe both RS error counts reset on a retune.

The internal splitter is uncharted territory AFAIK, and I would be amazed if you could find anywhere to buy the part even if you could handle the repair. It may not be the splitter either. A component in one tuner may have gone south.

May be time to consider a new TiVo, or some other video delivery arrangement. :(

5. bdj6020

bdj6020 New Member

Feb 20, 2008

Advertisements

poop!

I guess it's time to start hunting on ebay. I'm not willing to pay the costs to upgrade to a Tivo Premier.