TivoHD Scheduling Problems?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by TiVoter123, Sep 7, 2007.

1. TiVoter123

TiVoter123 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Orange, CA
    So tonight I was watching a live baseball game. CSI was scheduled to record at 9 pm (via season pass). Nothing else was scheduled to record at that time, but a suggestion was on at the same time. 1 minute before 9, a notice pops up telling me about CSI, and asks if I wanted to cancel or change the channel.

My question is, why wouldn't tivo know that I'm watching something on that tuner and record the scheduled show on the other tuner? (Both tuners have access to the exact same channels) I can understand why it would need to ask about the suggestion, seeing as it wouldn't know if I'm actually watching or not, but I would be more comfortable saying to cancel the suggestion, instead of having to accept the channel change, switch over to the other tuner, and then tune back to the game. Also, what would have happened if I were say 15 minutes behind the baseball game on my current tuner, and tivo decided it needed to record CSI on that tuner. Would it force me to give up my 15 minutes of buffer in order to switch over to the other tuner?

This logic doesn't make sense to me... am I missing something??

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    If you disable suggestions, you never have that problem.

If you were just watching live TV, and had not clicked any remote buttons in >15 minutes, then obviously the Tivo would have no idea that you were watching a program, so it would have to ask.

By default, Tivo should cancel any suggestions if you have clicked a remote button in the past 15 minutes. However, even if you have not clicked a remote button recently, I agree the option should be given to cancel the suggestion and continue watching the current program.

3. MirclMax

MirclMax Ancient Member

Jul 12, 2000
    My thought on this has always been that a 3rd option should be given to you (when possible) ..

1. Cancel the recording
    2. Go ahead with the recording
    3. Go ahead with the recording on the other tuner.

The logic for #3 being displayed would be that it would only show up if didn't have a scheduled recording already in progress (or starting at the same time).

As given in the OP example .. this would allow the user to say "No, I want to keep watching this, but feel free, Mr. TiVo, to abort the suggestion that I didn't care about anyhow"

4. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    TiVo has the same problem with the Series 2 DT, because the TiVo may not know if you are watching live TV. One solution is to pause the live TV for a few seconds when you start watching then maybe the TiVo will use the other tuner as the one you are watching is now delayed live TV.

5. aardwolf

aardwolf New Member

Sep 7, 2007
    My HD TiVo was recording two suggestions, one of which I actually wanted. To make it easier to understand, I'll call the show I wanted to watch "Seinfeld", and the one I didn't "Barney".

I wanted to watch something else live, so I first changed to "Barney". I then changed to a live channel that wasn't being recorded, and my TiVo promptly removed "Seinfeld". :-(