TivoHd RMA Replacement

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by hooper, Oct 11, 2007.

1. hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Folks,
    Got a new TivoHD through the RMA process. Can I just swap the old hard drive into the new box and be good to go?

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Well, considering that one or another form of hard drive failure is the most common reason for needing the unit replaced to begin with, I wouldn't recommend that... Anyway, Tivo has probably already updated your subscription to match the new unit, not the old one.

3. hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Problem is that I already upgraded the HD. RMA was for a bad tuner. Is there anyway to keep the old drive in the new machine?

4. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    If one of your tuners kept going out...I doubt it was defective.

Based on posts to this forum, that seems to be a bug in the 9.1 software. One or both tuners go out periodically and a reboot is needed to fix it.

Tivo is now telling people over the phone that a software fix will be out very soon.

5. hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    OK. Let's say it was a bad power supply. Is it possible to keep the hard drive?

6. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    You need to return the TivoHD with its original drive.

7. hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    OK. It appears a clear and delete is the only way to get my upgraded drive to work with new box.

This was all I was looking for. The original 160GB drive will go back with the defective Tivo. I just didn't want to have to go through the whole MFSLive expansion process again. PITA since I am running in a Raid0 setup on my desktop.

8. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Correct.

9. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    If you get an enclosure, like the Antec MX-1, you don't have to even open the PC. Just pop in the SATA drive into the enclosure (don't even need to screw it back together), plug it into the PC via eSATA or USB, then WinMFS it, and you're done. No reboot needed.

Much easier now.

10. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    True for an original Series 3 box, but not if you have a Tivo HD box.