TivoHD remote control - only powers tv?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by kenrippy, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Mar 8, 2008 #1 of 14
    kenrippy

kenrippy New Member

Jun 27, 2006
    so. cal

Advertisements

is it true that the remote that comes with the tivoHD will only power on the tv? my s2 remote would power on the tv & the a/v receiver.

just wondering if there's something i'm missing.

edit: FWIW it's an onkyo 605

2. Mar 8, 2008 #2 of 14
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm pretty sure the the s2 and Tivo HD remotes are virtually the same. They apparently changed the labels on a couple of buttons on the HD remote, but I think otherwise, they are functionally identical.

3. Mar 8, 2008 #3 of 14
    farlz00

farlz00 New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    hey kenrippy! just program the new remote identical to the old s2. you will be able to control power, mute, and volume of your a/v system also. you can continue to use your s2 remote also.

4. Mar 8, 2008 #4 of 14
    kenrippy

kenrippy New Member

Jun 27, 2006
    so. cal
    thanks. i think it has to do with the onkyo and it's specific codes. i can't get a code to work for the power, only mute/volume. i tried to search for codes but none worked either. i tried my old S2 remote also.
    i might just have to get a learning remote :(

5. Mar 8, 2008 #5 of 14
    richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003

Advertisements

Does your Onkyo receiver have discreet on and off? In other words, is there an "On" button and a "Standby" button on your Onkyo remote? Since the 605 is a newer model they may have done away with that and getting a programmable/learning remote may be your answer. But looking at a picture of one I can see the faceplate has the same on/standby label above the power button as ours.

The reason I ask is that we have an Integra receiver (high-end Onkyo) which is a few years old and it has discreet on/off. I know a number of Onkyo's have that "feature" :mad: as well. We had to program our Series3 remote in a specific way to handle that. Of course the TiVo HD remote is not a "learning" remote, but if you get a TiVo Glo remote or other learning remote and you have discreet on/off, this thread might come in handy:

Onkyo/TiVo Remote Progamming

6. Mar 8, 2008 #6 of 14
    kenrippy

kenrippy New Member

Jun 27, 2006
    so. cal
    it's only got a single push on/standby button on the remote. the pwr button on the actual receiver goes from on to standby, there is no official "off" position.

looks like the onkyo 605 codes aren't up to snuff yet. i'll probably just get a tivo glo remote. i like the layout on the peanut jobs, not a huge fan of harmonys yet.

thanks

7. Mar 8, 2008 #7 of 14
    kenrippy

kenrippy New Member

Jun 27, 2006
    so. cal
    tried everything with the old s2 remote as well, no go for the onkyo pwr control. must be an onkyo 605 code issue.

8. Mar 8, 2008 #8 of 14
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I have the same issues with the 603. Gave up shortly after trying with my s2 remote a couple of years ago.

9. lordbah

lordbah Member

Apr 19, 2003
    Rochester,...
    I have the same issue with an old Denon receiver. S2 remote was programmed such that the power button powered on the TV and receiver at the same time. Then again it was done for the HR10-250 remote. It was long enough ago that there's no chance that I remember which code I used either time. With the TivoHD and its remote, the remote programming menu doesn't even offer an option which powers the A/V receiver.

10. kenrippy

kenrippy New Member

Jun 27, 2006
    so. cal
    i ended up buying a tivo glo and it works great. it will pwr up 3 seperate units with 1 push of the button.

11. scsiguy72

scsiguy72 OTA Only..Free TV

Nov 25, 2003
    California Guy
    Can the Peanut remote be used to power up 2 different units?

Example I have a Samsung TV and a JVC Home theater. Is there any way to set the remote to power them both on or off? I tried goofing with the A/B switch on the peanut but once I program the Samsung, and then program the JVC the Samsung gets overwritten

12. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Yes, just repeat the TV programming cycle a second time using the receiver code (assuming the TV code was done first).

13. scsiguy72

scsiguy72 OTA Only..Free TV

Nov 25, 2003
    California Guy
    OK Thanks, But I can't set it do do Either/Or can I?

14. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    It will do both using the method I described. If you want TV and Recv separately I am not sure how to do that.