TivoHD reboots after recording starts

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rcliff, Sep 6, 2011.

1. rcliff

rcliff Member

Jun 16, 2001
    New York
    I've got an annoying problem. I have a TivoHD that keeps rebooting and I'm not sure what is causing this. Tivo will record part of a show, reboot then record some more, etc. Here's what I've done so far.

1) Cold boot...no change, problem continued
    2) Kickstart 54 extended test...Result OK but problem continues
    3) Kickstart 57...presumably completed and restarted but problem continues
    4) Removed both COAX cables...seemed stable but then I transferred a recording via ethernet and it reboot
    5) I'm watching something pre-recorded now with both COAX cables disco'd and it seems OK

My original assumption was that the hard drive was probably shot but Kickstart 54 shows OK. Is it still most likely the hard drive? What am I missing?

Thanks,
    Cliff

2. Lady_Laura_M

Lady_Laura_M New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    Baltimore, md
    I am having the same issue...Let me know if you fix it...I am going to get my brother to check out the Hard drive this weekend...but I assume it is the hard drive...

3. rcliff

rcliff Member

Jun 16, 2001
    New York
    Fixed! At least it appears to be so far after running since this morning.

I put the drive (a 1TB WD10EADS) in a PC and it tested OK with WD lifeguard tools but HDDScan showed a SMART error UltraDMA CRC. I then started an mfscopy to a new drive with winmfs. After a few minutes it showed about 16hrs ETA. A few hours later it jumped to 1,000,000+ hrs ETA. I was about the pull the plug under the assumption it was hung but Task manager READ I/O bytes and WRITE I/O bytes continued to increase so I assumed it was still working. It finished about 15 hrs after the initial start and asked to run mfsadd which I did and failed. I assume that failed because the source and destination were the same since and there was nothing to add. At this point I was skeptical but after popping the new drive in the Tivo, it booted right up. I got a message about the CABLECARD needing an update which it automatically completed and all seems normal now. Time will tell if there are an issues. Still have to pull the drive and run wdidle3 though.