1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TivoHD reboot diagnostics

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by te36, Jun 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. te36

te36 Member

Jun 14, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    TivoHD reboots now maybe once a day.

Got refurbished power supply, but that did not help, but indeed there where some bulging caps in my power supply (i had swapped most of them a couple years ago, but probably didn't have all of them at hand back then), so new power supply definitely nice to have.

Temperature in settings shows normal (43C).

2 GB WD green disk has only one year runtime, and didn't show any bad sectors, SMART is fine, whole disk copies where fine.

Did a factory reset on the box. Unmarked from channel lineup all the channels i am supposedly not receiving (comcast cable), just in case the box has some issues relating to received signal. Wanted to try to disconnect from cable for a few days to see if reboots are related to that.

Haven't seen threads reporting on actual motherboard failures. Of course, its aging. How likely could that be a problem ?

2. te36

te36 Member

Jun 14, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    With any luck, the issue is resolved well enough now, but who knows for how long.

CPU cooler felt quite hot (> 60c), so i installed a fitting fan on top of it, 12v, split power cable to case fan. Now i have seen the Tivo rebooting maybe once a week at most (not that much time passed).

Unfortunately, i did not take a thermometer to the CPU, so i do not know if it changed over the lifetime. My theory is that the CPU has been running at this high a temperate all the time and that has really contributed to its aging and now misbehavior under that temperature. I have seen that in Intel systems as well, especially with used Server CPU i bought on ebay. Those run fine unless they need to run at high load for longer periods, then they misbehave and crash. So i gave up on that money saving idea years ago. And exporting recordings from the TiVo seems to get CPU in total up to high loads while maybe normal operations maybe even recordings do not stress the CPU as much. Go figure.

My T3 is fairly old now, i think i got it immediately when it came out, so unfortunately it had good time for the CPU to age at high temperatures. Given how you can not transplant the TSN to another CPU, i'd recommend to cool down the CPU on every still running lifetime TivoHD to keep the CPU sane.

I have not found a way to check CPU temperature via the system.: System temperature reported in System Settings is not correlated to CPU/cooler temperature. It is 44C when the lid is closed and 39C when lid is open. Which is not really a recommendation for the box / circulation design, but at least i hope it's not contributing to the problem. Had it running as a cabriolet for a week, but now top is on again.

3. Luke M

Luke M Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Before my TivoHD died completely it was rebooting or freezing at least once a week. The power supply is fine as best I can tell (all capacitors replaced). Also the hard drive is fine, zero errors logged in the SMART data.