TivoHD random audio problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by saz25, Jun 6, 2008.

1. saz25

saz25 New Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Nashua, NH

Advertisements

Hi,
    I've had the TivoHD for more than 6 months. No real problems. Except I just noticed (it may have been there all along) an audio problem.

Perhaps every minute or so, there would be a very short pause (or drop out) of the audio for less than a second. The video is fine. Its more noticable for some reason during sporting events. I am watching a HD channel at the time.

I also noticed that if I have have the other tuner set to an SD channel, I have almost no audio dropouts on the HD channel. If both tuners are set to an HD channel, the one I'm watching experiences this audio drop out.

Has anyone seen this? Also, I am using a cablecard (multi-channel) and my provider is Comcast.

I'm trying to determine whether the problem is cablecard related, comcast related, the content from ABC/ESPN, or Tivo's inability to capture all the audo on 2 HD channels at the same time. I'm sure someone else has seen this.

Comments/suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

2. mike_camden

mike_camden New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    Hi Steve,
    I've had what sounds like a similar isse that I started noticing in the winter. See here for more details: http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=382626

The weird thing with mine is that the drops aren't there if I rewind. What I have been doing to get around it when watching live shows is to rewind about 10 seconds so I don't have the drops. I can't figure out if the problem is with the Tivo HD, my receiver (Onkyo 605), the cablecards, or some mix of all three (Tivo, Comcast, and Onkyo all blame the others). Several others posted on the thread above with a similar issue.

Good luck. If you figure anything out, please let us know.

3. rdangel

rdangel Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Hi There, I have been having this problem with my S3 randomly. I find that hitting pause for 1 second and hitting play makes it completely fine.. Its a little unnerving.

Also hitting pause, then fast forward to the end seems to make it go away for a while

4. cantona7

cantona7 New Member

Jan 9, 2007
    This is usually an issue with the cable signal itself. I've had this problem from time to time but it's almost always with the same channels. It used to be there before I had my Tivo HD, when I was just using the comcast box.

5. r2ewj

r2ewj New Member

Jul 6, 2008

Advertisements

I am having the same problem with my HD Tivo, and after reading your post and trying I have noticed that pausing live tv for a moment then continuing to watch live tv 1 or 2 seconds behind does make the problem go away. I would not think that this would be a signal strength issue. I have also gone to the signal strength section under the channel settings and I am getting high 90's for all of my HD channels. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on with this? Finding out that watching TV just a few seconds behind turns this problem in to only a minor annoyance, but I would still like to find an absolute solution to it.

Thanks

Eric

6. proudx

proudx Member

Sep 16, 2008
    anyone try changing out a box or power supply to see if problem goes away?

7. proudx

proudx Member

Sep 16, 2008
    I think its a software issue with the S3 and OTA digital. yes when tuning an HD channel and hitting pause so your 1 or 2 seconds behind live it does fix the problem.

When will tivo fix this?