TivoHd not recording anything over 2 hours

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by tamon77, Jun 13, 2011.

1. tamon77

tamon77 New Member

Feb 3, 2008
    Lately my tivo will not record any show that is 3 hours which mainly applies to sporting events. This is becoming very annoying as I am missing all of the stanley cup final games. Essentially I set it to record, it starts, then freezes anywhere from 15 minutes to hour later. The tivo still says its recording but it really is not. All of my other tv shows (30 mins, 1 hour, 2 hours) record just fine. I have tried resetting the device and deleting other programs to make space (even though I am pretty sure that is not the problem) but nothing works.

Any suggestions?

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Try running the "kickstart" diagmostics. Hard drive may be going bad. You will need to do a search here for instructions on how to initiate, or maybe someone will post a link for them.

Also check for over heating. Make sure the unit is well ventilated. Clean off the fan and vents, motherboard, etc. Make sure the cooling fan is spinning. Check the temperature in "System Information" frequently, and especially if you can catch it when it stops recording.

Good luck.

3. tamon77

tamon77 New Member

Feb 3, 2008
    Ok ... will give that stuff a try. If the hard drive is going why are shows of certain length still recording?

4. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Can't say. Just trying to help and most issues seem to trace back to the hard drive.

How old is your Tivo? Does it have the original hard drive?

5. tamon77

tamon77 New Member

Feb 3, 2008
    I bought the tivo in feb 2008 with a WD DVR expander at the same time

6. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    That adds another layer of complication. From what I have read, those wd expanders can be problematical. If possible, you might start transferring any precious recordings that are not copy protected to a computer. If worse comes to worst, you may eventually need to divorce the expander to see which drive is the issue(if indeed a drive has issues).

I don't have a lot of experience with the kick starts. Don't know if/how they work on dual drives. Maybe some one else will chime in.

May also need to eventually run WD diagnostics on the drives. Not sure exactly how this will be done on the expander.

Besides the cleaning and checking for overheating issues, I guess the first thing is to try the kickstarts, however that is done with the dual drives.

7. tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005
    I am having the same problem. the only way i can get the season passes to record is to edit a season pass and save it and it will start recording the show right away.

tivo needs to fix this problem

8. tamon77

tamon77 New Member

Feb 3, 2008
    My season passes are fine. It is just anything over 2 hours whether it be a season pass or recording I add manually for special event, ie., a hockey, baseball, football game

9. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Have you tried restarting your Tivo?

I will add that I have never experienced either of the issues mentioned here in over 3.5 years of use with my Tivo HD.(Still trying to help though).

10. tamon77

tamon77 New Member

Feb 3, 2008
    I updated Tivo support and here was what they told me to do:

• Please go to: TiVo Central > Messages and Settings > Account and System Information > DVR Diagnostics

- We will need to check the following: (Signal Strength, SNR, RS Corrected, and RS Uncorrected)

I did that and submitted the following:
    Signal Strength - 93
    SNR - 35 DB
    RS Corrected - 0
    RS Uncorrected - 128537

Here is their response:

The RS Uncorrected number of 128537 appears to be the cause of the issue that you are having. The RS Corrected/Uncorrected numbers indicate the number of errors that the TiVo box has been able to fix, or not fix, that it is receiving from your cable signal. Those numbers should both be zero, at all times. If those numbers are not zero, they can cause a box to freeze and/or reboot. What you will want to do is contact your cable provider to have them clean up the digital interference in the cable signal. This can usually be done replacing cabling and/or placing filters on the line that is running from the wall to the TiVo box. Once the RS Corrected/Uncorrected numbers both display zero, at all times, you will no longer have this issue when recording any programs.

To confirm that this is the cause of the issue, if you would like you can run a Kickstart 54 test on your TiVo box drive and the external drive, that is connected. This test will check for errors on both hard drives and attempt to remove any corrupt information. During this test, which can take up to three hours, you will have no access to any features on the box, including viewing live tv. While the test is running, you should not remove the power from either device, for any reason, what so ever. Removing the power can cause irreversible damage to either device. The following link provides instructions for going through the Kickstart 54 test.

- http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/308/kw/expander#drives

11. tamon77

tamon77 New Member

Feb 3, 2008
  12. tamon77

tamon77 New Member

Feb 3, 2008
    Update

kick start 57 did not work ...

I am beginning to think it might be the m-card. Not sure how to test though

13. MarcC

MarcC Lurking n00b

Jun 24, 2011
    It's possible that the cablecard might be the issue. I had a similar problem last year where the cablecard would basically turn the tuner off while recording. I'd get a four hour drag racing (2 hrs of padding, thank you ESPN for figuring that reruns of World Series of Poker were more important than NHRA) recording with only about the first half hour or so actually having anything. The tech who fixed it said that it's not a common problem, so your results might be different. Did Comcast check your signal quality before they left, and what are the RS numbers after the repair was done?
    Comcast probably checked the signal at the demarcation point. You might still be getting signal attenuation due to the cabling between the demarc and the TiVo. The cabling might be damaged, but if not, it might be corrosion on the contact points in the connectors. Check any barrel connectors as well. Plus a kinda obscure issue. Make sure that the impedence of the cable (the ohm rating) is the same on all of the cables in the house. Any of the above problems can cause an echo effect in the cable, and this can cause some pretty weird problems.

14. tamon77

tamon77 New Member

Feb 3, 2008
  15. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The WD expander lasted almost 3 years? :eek: That's a lot longer than other people on this forum. From my perspective, you got lucky. :p

Suggestion if you are computer literate: Return the new WD expander for a refund and use the money to upgrade the internal HD to 2TB yourself. Here's a guide.
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=462179

;)

16. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    That's not the same problem. It's not even close.

Which one? I don't recall seeing your symptoms posted before - certainly I am not having that problem on any one of my 3 TiVos, so it sounds like TiVo doesn't need to fix this problem.