TivoHD, multiple outputs and aspect ratios?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by m_jonis, Sep 9, 2007.

1. m_jonis

m_jonis Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Albany, NY
    Currently I have two HD TV's. One is using my crappy TWCable SA 8300HD DVR. I ONLY use that TV to watch HD content and DVD's. Therefore, I have set the TV to use it's Component inputs to be "native" resolution.

My other TV has my Series 2 DT Tivo, and a MythTV HD DVR. The Series 2 goes to a specific input on the TV that's set to (I believe): Stretch mode. When I want to watch HD, the MythTV unit is set to go to a diff. input which is set to do Native.

My question is, with the TivoHD, if I use that to replace both Series 2 DT and MythTV box, does it allow me to have multiple outputs? (ie, HD stuff obviously only goes out via components, but non HD channels can go out via something else)?

Why you ask? Because if it only outputs on one output, then I will have to constantly be switching the TV's mode from Native (for HD shows) to stretch or whatever for SD shows.

Why don't I leave everything at Native? Because then I end up with 4:3 and ugly black bars on the side for SD channels. If I set it to stretched, it screws up the HD shows.

Or is there a setting in the Tivo to compensate for that?

Thanks!

2. BrianAZ

BrianAZ Back on the wagon

Aug 13, 2007
    Chandler, Az
    The TivoHD has 3 Aspect Correction options which I believe would accomplish what you're asking (though I don't believe you can define aspect ratios by outputs on the Tivo).

To change the aspect correction mode, press the ASPECT button on the TiVo remote. You can cycle through three modes:

• Panel mode adds letterbox bars or side bars to the picture as necessary to fill the screen, preserving the program¬ís original aspect ratio. This mode is useful if you are watching a program that is broadcast in 4:3 on a 16:9 TV, or vice-versa. If the program already includes letterbox bars, or side bars, these will still appear in Panel mode.
    • Full mode stretches the picture to fill the entire TV screen, which may result in some distortion. If the program already includes letterbox bars or side bars, these will still appear in Full mode.
    • Zoom mode stretches the picture without distortion. The edges of the picture are cropped to fit the TV screen. This mode is useful if you are watching a program that includes letterbox bars or side bars, because zoom mode crops the bars out of the picture.

You can also change the aspect correction mode from the Video Settings menu. Go to TiVo Central and select Messages & Settings, then Settings, then Video, and then Aspect Correction Mode.

Link to source for bullets above

I leave mine set to Full on the Tivo and then my Sony TV has aspect controls as well. I think I have my TV show HD in Full and SD in Wide Zoom.

3. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    You cannot output two different channels from two different inputs on the TivoHD. The same channel is output through all connections.

The component and HDMI connections use whatever resolution you have set in Settings -> Video. That includes, native, hybrid, fixed 720p, fixed 1080i, etc. S-video and composite connections always output at 480i. HD channels are downconverted to 480i through s-video and composite.

The TivoHD also has an aspect button on the remote to toggle between with three aspect mode. With your TV set to 16:9 under Settings -> Video, you get aspect modes full (stretch), panel (side bars), and zoom; when the TV is set to 16:9, you also get 16:9 anamorphic output on HD channels through s-video and composite. With your TV set to 4:3 under Settings -> Video, you get a different set of aspect modes, and SD is output as 4:3 through s-video and composite.