TivoHD, M-card and Charter

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by almighty, Aug 29, 2007.

1. almighty

almighty Lost in the sticks..

Jun 17, 2001
    White...
    So I was speaking (typing) with a Charter tech rep today, and inquired about getting an M-card for a TivoHD in the event I buy another Tivo. I was promptly told that yes I can get an M-card. Great news for me, right? Soon after that, I was told "we do not support M-card in Tivo's, only in Motorola STB's".

So I am thinking a few things:

1) Rep doesnt have a clue
    2) M-card will work just fine in the TivoHD, as its advertised to support it
    3) Could the rep be un-aware of TivoHD, and thinking of the S3 not supporting the M-card
    4) Is there something Charter can do at their cable plant to make an M-card act as an S-card inside a TivoHD, thereby making what the Rep said true?

Just want to know how to proceed on this, whether I should risk asking for an M-card, or pay for 2 S-cards and be done with it?

2. litkaj

litkaj Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Exton, PA
    It could be that they'll rent you one but do not support their use in a TiVo. I know a lot of cable providers frown on CableCARD use in anything but a TV. All you can really do is call back and ask.

3. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    They do not have that option.

4. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Never tell a Charter rep that you are installing it into a TiVo. Also, remind them that the device is approved for M-Cards. The M-Card will work just fine in a TiVo. In fact, even requesting a M-Card for your order will not matter because it is all up to whoever comes out to install it. I would request 2 cablecards and tell the rep to note that M-Cards are preferred. Then if they happen to bring 2 M-cards, then tell them to not use the 2nd.

5. normychas

normychas Member

May 10, 2007
    the fcc requires that they provide at least some form of cable card. You should tell them and not that this would make a ton of difference that you will be forwarding their response over to the fcc. Another tact would also be to ask to speak to a manager. I cant tell you how many times i have heard a CSR say well the manager isnt gonna tell you anything different, but 9/10 you will get somebody half competent. Always always always ask to speak to the manager. Your hands are not tied you have some rights.

6. almighty

almighty Lost in the sticks..

Jun 17, 2001
    White...
    Ok, silly question, but is there some notation on the M-card's that differentiate them from S-cards (so that I can visually check them when brought)?

7. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    If they refuse to provides cards for a TiVo, then just tell they rep you need their name so you can provide it to the FCC and the local franchise authority for refusing cablecards for a approved device. You will tend to get a much better response after that.

8. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It will say M or M-card on the front.

9. litkaj

litkaj Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Exton, PA
    Yes, they do. They are required to provide and support the card but not the TiVo device itself, that's TiVo's problem. Technically they are not required to support your TV either but most will work with customers to get a card working in a CableCARD-ready TV.

10. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The S3 and the TiVo HD are approved devices. They can not refuse to install CableCards in them. They are required to support every single approved device. By support I mean, they have to supply cablecards for them. They can't refuse to activate service on the cards because they just don't support a TiVo.

11. litkaj

litkaj Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Exton, PA
    I never said anything about refusing to accept an order or refusing to provide cards. I said that they may refuse to support CCs in a TiVo as they are NOT required to provide support for any 3rd-party devices. It's basically the same thing as an internet provider giving you a router to use and saying that they'll only support that model. There's nothing stopping you from using something else, and their system will still kick out an IP address, but if you have problems they're not going to do much more than the bare minimum before pushing you to move back to the provided hardware.