TivoHD issues (bad hard drive?)

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by schul461, Feb 20, 2010.

1. schul461

schul461 New Member

Feb 20, 2010

Advertisements

So lately my TivoHD has started acting flakey.

1) Recordings are truncated.
    2) Last night i was watching live TV and the picture froze. It would rewind and play, but wouldn't go past that image. When I switched channels and came back, all was good
    3) Occasional reboots, maybe once a week, but they seem to be getting more frequent.

I'm assuming my hard drive is going south, as the unit is several years old.

Should I replace the HD? or get a refurb one? (I don't have lifetime, so I don't know if that matters). I also assume its not under warranty.

2. ryansdadd

ryansdadd New Member

Feb 20, 2010
    hmmm im a new guy here, but I would ask what your comfort level is replacing a HD.A quick pro's/cons list would help make up your mind.

For me it was a no-brainer,I recently upgraded my series2 that was acting up- to a series 3 HD referb for $149 - so I now have my HD channels + a larger HD :) go to your account page at Tivo and look for the upgrade tab to see if you qualify. If not the refurbs are $199

And if yours is a HD you could always Ebay it as is and get a few dollars back out of it.
    Good luck,
    Mike

3. schul461

schul461 New Member

Feb 20, 2010
    I've got no problems doing the job myself, just wondering whether I should assume its the HD and replace that (and upgrade its size at the same time).

Or just say "to heck with it" and buy a refurb for $200 and not have to worry about it not being a HD problem.

4. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    My $.02 sez spring for a 1TB drive for < $100 and do the replacement/upgrade with WinMFS. Odds are you problem is hard-drive related and will be resolved by a replacement.

5. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA

Advertisements

What you are reporting are the most common symptoms of a hard drive gone bad. With the price of 1 t drives costing under $90, there's not a lot to lose trying it out. In the event it is not the problem it can be used on another device including a PC. You should check out the first sticky for more assistance.

6. ajfjavi

ajfjavi New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    Daly City CA
    I've had the same issues. Truncated recordings, choppy video and sound while viewing Live HD shows. I narrowed it down to my Western Digital SATA drive. After disconnecting SATA drive and restarting Tivo without the SATA drive the problem goes away.

When I reconnect the SATA drive, everything is fine for a while, but after a few days ( perhaps after recordings fill up the SATA drive?) the problem returns. Any clues on how I can fix this, other than purchasing a new SATA drive?

7. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    The OP made no mention of an external drive. If he has one then, yes, removing it would be the first thing to do by way of process of elimination.

8. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=7553444#post7553444