TivoHD, how to get HD Local Channels from Basic Cable?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by topher5, Sep 19, 2008.

1. topher5

topher5 New Member

Sep 18, 2008

Advertisements

I recently purchased a TivoHD and am loving it. Recently I had problems with the signal on my OTA HD antenna so I thought I'd try out hooking it up to my cable feed (w/o a cable card). I get all the analog basic channels with no problem. I checked with my laptop and see that the local OTA HD channels are available from the cable feed. When I do a channel scan with the TivoHD, it detects the analog channels (200 or so) but doesn't see the local HD channels at all. How do I get the Tivo to detect the local HD channels? I've tried to search the forums but can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Suggestions?

BTW, cable is from Cox in Northern Virginia if that helps any.

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I just figured this out for myself the other day. After you've run the Channel Scan and Tivo detects all the channels, go to the Channel List screen. There you'll have to check off which channels you get. For me, CBS is channel 3, CBS-HD is 3.1, etc. After you select those channels, everthing should work. FYI, there is no guide data for these HD channels but you can still set up manual recordings, repeating if necessary to take the place of SP's. If after doing this, a channel is still not tuning, try a restart. I had to do that to get everything working.

3. topher5

topher5 New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Awesome! I'll give it a shot when I get home.

4. topher5

topher5 New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    This didn't seem to work. I don't believe it detects it as the actual channel (4-1, etc). I think when I did my channel scan with my laptop they were showing up in the 10xx range but I'll have to do it again to confirm that. Does that sound right? Other ideas?

5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish

Advertisements

Mt TivoHD detects them as the various 4-1, etc type channels.
    But you do know that you won't get guide data for them right? (in other words, what WhiskeyTango says..)
    Check out threads on QAM mapping..

6. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    The only thing I can think of is that the channels you are seeing in the 10XX range are the HD channels that you would be getting if you were using a cable box. The OTA channels, as far as I know, use the designation #-1. This is the way it would show up if you were to use just your HDTV. I'm not sure if using your laptop is causing any difference. Just using the Channel Scan on the Tivo, I was able to pick up the local HD's and come up with the solution I mentioned earlier.

7. DaveTrux

DaveTrux New Member

Feb 15, 2007
    This didn't work for me either, at least in the right way. I found all kinds of channels, but not the local QAM channels. With cable direct into my TV the local channels are 4-1, 7-1 etc. But my Tivo HD didn't find them when scanning. It found lots of other channels (ESPN-HD!) but not the local ones. Any ideas?

8. topher5

topher5 New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Can't explain it but I did another channel scan (this time with my OTA antenna disconnected) and it found the local channels as WhiskeyTango described.

If I get a chance I'll hook up the laptop gain just to see if I remember the channels correctly. As a follow up question I found a lot of weird channels (like 140-1001) but I can't watch any of them. I'm assuming that is the encrypted HD channels?

9. Chuckmeister

Chuckmeister New Member

May 12, 2008
    BFE, AZ
    Yes, Encrypted but the numbers such as 140-1001 are SDV channels. Just delete the channels it's not worth the hassle in trying to find anything on these.

10. ted_b

ted_b New Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Resurrecting this.

Question: Cable card guy isn't here yet so running TivoHD w/out them right now. I also did a channel scan, since initial Guided Setup didn't find the channels over 99. Channel search, then channel list checkoffs, did the trick. My local HD cable channels are here. My assumption was that NO channel info would come of it, but lo and behold the 200-205 WOW cable id's (ABCHD, CBSHD), etc have showed up after about 24 hrs. I gotta assume they came from some sort of guide info....can I assume that's all I'll get until CC's or should I rerun Guided setup or Tivo update to see if I can grab program guide data for them? it sure would be nice. My family wants to setup season passes, etc (this Tivo replaces an S2 so we're spoiled Tivo users) and I've told them the HD stuff is useless until cable co gets here with cards (later this week).

11. klo

klo New Member

Feb 11, 2009
    I have Comcast basic cable service. I received bunch of HD channels after getting a HDTV and TiVo HD XL. So don't listen to Comcast that you have to pay extra to get HD channels.

I also found the following article quite useful too.

Setting Up TiVo HD with Basic Cable Service
    tivogetme.com

12. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    It depends on the market. You probably have the digital starter map which includes the HD locals. Be more clear on your post/blog that you are only receiving the ten or local channels and not any cable specific HD programming.

13. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

:rolleyes:

This thread is ABOUT getting locals.

14. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Please click http://www.tivogetme.com/ which is the post/blog I was referring to.

15. Daghain

Daghain Cable must die

Feb 12, 2009
    Fort...
    I was wondering about this too. I would have to keep basic cable to get the local channels, the OTA sucks here. That, and I don't have an HDTV yet. ===:0

16. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You can likely get your digital cable channels without cablecards, but will not have guide data for those channels, the cablecard needed to map them to the guide data channels.

You will get full guide support for the analog cable channels tough.

17. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Wow. That is a thrilling blog. Someone surprised by the expected results.