TIVOHD Help, please.... anyone?!?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Mags, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Dec 6, 2007 #1 of 18
    Mags

Mags New Member

Nov 20, 2003
    Hartland

Advertisements

Hi all:

I've recently purchased a TIVOHD and am having a few problems. I'm guessing some of you may have had these and can help.

Let me start:

My previous setup was a SONY SXRD 60 inch TV to which I ran an antenna to directly. Then I ran and audio via optical to the Pioneer Elite 74txvi receiver - everything worked great - outstanding picture, perfect sound.

I then bought the TIVOHD, hooked into the Elite 74txvi via HDMI and I've had nothing but problems.

Audio - a noticable hum during programming - both recorded and live. When I hit "mute" on the receiver, the hum goes away.

Video: The picture from the HDTIVO (which uses it's own tuner) is very soft and not nearly as sharp as when I ran the antenna cable directly into the TV.

Keep in mind that I'm not using cable or satellite - it is just plain 'ole digital antenna. I purchased the TIVO to be able to record all the HD shows on network TV.

Here is what I've tried so far:

1. Replaced the HDMI cable with an expensive monster one. Didn't seem to make much difference from the "cheap" Dynex from Best Buy.
    2. I've played around with the various video output resolutions on the TIVOHD to now avail.

I had an UNBELIEVABLE picture and perfect sound when I connected the antenna coax directly to the TV. Now, frankly, it hardly looks HDTV like using the TIVO.

Are these HDTIVO's bad? Do I just have a "bad" one? Has anyone else had these type of issues? Could it be that the Pioneer Elite 74xtvi is a bad unit and is prone to these issues?

Any insight from anyone would be greatly appreciated! :)

2. Dec 6, 2007 #2 of 18
    bizzy

bizzy New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    San...
    you didnt mention what output res you have your tivo set to.
    could it be outputting 480p?

3. Dec 6, 2007 #3 of 18
    blhirsch

blhirsch Tivo-riffic!

Mar 1, 2003
    Yeah, it kind of sounds like your tivo is outputting in SD. They come that way so people aren't confused when they turn it on and there's no picture on a non-HD tv.

On the front, there's a button called "format." Make sure you're on an HD channel, and push the button to switch among HD formats.

4. Dec 6, 2007 #4 of 18
    Mags

Mags New Member

Nov 20, 2003
    Hartland
    While that was a great suggestion, that isn't the problem.

Currently I have the Tivo outputting in 1080i hybrid. I've also tried Native. I've tried 1080i fixed (the Sony is a 1080i TV).

Same problem with all of them. "Soft" picture, with a noticable hum with the volume.

The next step (hopefully someone else has some ideas) will be to output from the TIVOHD via component to see if it is the HDMI connection (either the TIVOHD or Pioneer Elite 74txvi has a bad HDMI connection?).

It's weird - I've used HDMI for my DVD with the Pioneer - and have had no problems with audio hum or poor picture.

I really think TIVOHD cut corners with this box and I possibly have a bad one...

5. Dec 6, 2007 #5 of 18
    blhirsch

blhirsch Tivo-riffic!

Mar 1, 2003

Advertisements

Bummer. I was really hoping that was it.

I would definitely try component cables. I have had nothing but trouble with HDMI and the honest truth is that I really can't tell the difference between component and HDMI, even on a 50 inch set.

As for the hum, can you try a different digital audio interface? Maybe the jack/cable is bad. I know my receiver has multiple ways to get digital audio into the receiver.

6. Dec 6, 2007 #6 of 18
    Mags

Mags New Member

Nov 20, 2003
    Hartland
    Yea, I'll test it with a digital audio cable and component, and see if I can narrow down where the problem is coming from.

My money is still on the TIVOHD box...

7. Dec 6, 2007 #7 of 18
    Combat Medic

Combat Medic No guts, no glory

Sep 6, 2001
    San...
  8. Dec 7, 2007 #8 of 18
    Mags

Mags New Member

Nov 20, 2003
    Hartland
    I tested this with component cables with a digital audio cable - picture looked better and audio had no hum.

Then I checked the HDMI input in the Elite 74txvi using a DVD player - good picture and no hum.

The culprit? What I was guessing all along. The TIVOHD has a bad HDMI output. I'm not sure if they all are, or just this one.

It's not worth taking it back, transferring subscription, etc. I guess I'll deal with the component cables.

9. Dec 7, 2007 #9 of 18
    flatcurve

flatcurve New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Chicago
    from everything I've read about HDMI (and not just on the Tivo) it just seems to be more hassle than it's worth. I'm willing to bet that in a blind test the average person can't tell the difference. And quality issues aside, the DRM is a total PITA.

10. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

Sep 11, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    This is what I've experienced.

HDMI seems to be 'over-engineered' in some ways (versioning/communications/HDCP/etc.) and under-engineered in others (there are some physical limitations that I've read about that, I think, are based on length of the cable - basically it was designed to be a computer->monitor cable (short-lengths) and then all of this other crap was toss on top of it (protocols & longer runs)).

HDMI is dead to me.

Anyway, the short answer is: use component cables - they always work (unless the cable is phsically damaged/defective). No noticable difference in quality and you won't have to worry about some version on the TiVo (or other box) being incompatible with your TV.

11. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    I' getting my Tivo HD today and plan to connect it with an HDMI cable. Guess I'll test it out a bit and see what happens. I believe it comes with component cable so if I ever need to swap it out I'll do so. From past experience I too do not see a difference in component and hdmi quality. It's just nice to only have one cable instead of a component cable and an audio cable.

12. Interpol

Interpol New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    If you're interested in futureproofing your HT setup and plan on viewing HD-DVDs and/or Blu-Ray with Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA bitstream audio, it's kinda hard to ignore HDMI.

13. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Did you try hooking the TiVo up directly to the TV via HDMI instead of through your amp?

Could be a pass through issue with the TiVo. Don't some HDMI technologies intentionally downscale if you're passing to a non-secure device?

14. turbovr6

turbovr6 New Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Great suggestion!!!! There are several HDMI specs 1.1 1.2 1.3 My money is on the amp not passing traffic properly. I have a Denon 4308CI and an Aquos TV and still found some degradation of picture quality going through the AMP.

15. TiVo Troll

TiVo Troll Registered Troll

Mar 22, 2006
    Component outputs are fine but don't provide identical video and audio to a properly functioning HDMI connection. At identical monitor settings I've noticed that colors are slightly exaggerated and audio is slightly louder from component. Some viewers may actually prefer component.

What I don't understand is why a purchaser of a brand new component would chose to willfully ignore a defect right out of the box which would be repaired under warranty. Why should a company bother to do a new product right when it doesn't even know that manufacturing defects have occured, much less have to deal with the cost of warranty repairs?

16. Mars Rocket

Mars Rocket Loosely wound

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    :rolleyes:
    Really? You think that maybe all TiVoHDs have bad HDMI and nobody else noticed?

You clearly have a bad unit. There are many of us on this forum using HDMI with no problems at all. I even have a VSX-74txi and it processes HDMI with no problems either. There's an additional delay in setting up the picture due to DRM crap, but once the receiver and TV sync up the picture is excellent.

17. TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007
    Which is the exact point - it's in the eye of the beholder. You could just as easily argue that the colors on your HDMI are 'softer' and the audio 'quieter' than component. HDMI is not some 'reference' signal - it's as messed up and inconsistent as anything else out there.

18. TiVo Troll

TiVo Troll Registered Troll

Mar 22, 2006
    You think so?

HDMI colors aren't 'soft', just less cartooney!

Regarding sound level, perhap's louder is better, but once volume is readjusted either is fine. S/N ratio doesn't play a significant factor.