TIvoHD HDMI Fails after Welcome Screen on Sharp Aquos

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by bulmer, Dec 14, 2007.

1. bulmer

bulmer New Member

Jan 12, 2007

Advertisements

Been searching the "All video Vanishes" and a couple other threads so hope I am not repeating content....

Brand New TivoHD (OS is 8.1.7 still) , Sharp Aquos LC-46D62U. HDMI works for the TivoHD "Welcome. Powering up..." screen and then goes black.

Composite and Component Video all work fine, on all resolutions, but I cannot get any signal on the HDMI input (after the powering up screen). This was even true before doing the initial guided setup! In fact Tivo even exchanged the box once and I have the same symptom with the new box. Sounds like the TivoHD and Sharp are not synching up, although weird that it works while the Tivo is in initial startup.

Any ideas? Wait for 9.x?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Are you connected directly to Sharp or through some switch or receiver?

Have you tried a different cable?

Have you tried changing the output format to 1080i? The S3 has a format button on the front panel that is well hidden. I don't know if the HD has the same button or not.

After TiVo HD boots and has the trouble displaying, have you tried turning the Sharp TV off for a few seconds, then turning it back on? Sometimes this will allow the HDMI/HDCP to resync properly.

I have my S3 connected to a Sharp GX series (previous model year from yours) and it works fine after a minor workaround (shutdown macro on the remote control) to always switch to component input on the TV when I turn it off. Prior to doing that, sometimes the video over the HDMI input would blank out and come back a second later. When I turn on the unit and switch from the component to HDMI (again through remote's startup macro) everything syncs properly.

3. bulmer

bulmer New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    thanks for the reply.

Direct connect from TivoHD. Powercycling the Sharp does not help. 1080i fixed or Native did not help.

Upgraded to 9.2 this afternoon and no help.

I can try a new cable although, I cannot understand why it works in the BIOS mode but not when the Tivo is running live.

I am about to complicate life as the Cable Card installer just showed up! Ha!

Steve

4. dcunninga27

dcunninga27 New Member

Jan 18, 2008
    Hello,

I have this same issue with a Panasonic 720p plasma. Over HDMI it shows the Welcome screen, then disappears after it. When finally on, the Tivo box still cannot grab a signal from the HDMI connection even when it is set to Fixed 720p.

Anyone have any luck with fixing this issue? Or any luck with that TV and Tivo HD?

5. Princeton

Princeton New Member

Jun 30, 2002

Advertisements

I have the same Sharp that you have. My TiVo HD connects flawlessly with the HDMI cable I bought when I bought tht TiVo.

6. rader023

rader023 New Member

Dec 28, 2007
    I have a panny 720P plasma 42-pc77u and have not seen this problem, weird.

7. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    And I have the PX75U connected with hdmi with no problem.

8. hunts

hunts Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Illinois
    I believe it is an issue with the Tivo box being set to 480i. I had the same problem when I hooked up my S3 Tivo to my Samsung 5084 with HDMI. I had to use a component cable to get a signal and then go in the settings to change the video output to "Hybrid". That should hopefully work. I do not know how the Samsung 5084 can not display a 480i signal over HDMI...?

9. jkovach

jkovach TiVoing since 1999!

Feb 17, 2000
    Gilbert, AZ USA
    The Tivo doesn't get it's signal from the HDMI connection to your TV. The Tivo gets its signal either from your antenna or cable tv connection. Please clarify what you mean.

10. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Everybody else knows what he meant. Tivo gets a video "signal" from the HDMI.

When Tivo starts up, the welcome screen is at 480i. It doesn't switch to the resolution you have set until it plays the animation, IIRC.

11. cmshep222

cmshep222 Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Just got my new Sony XBR4 52 inch and the HD Tivo.

HDMI goes to Black after powering up. Component works fine.

Spoke with Tivo and they are sending me a new DVR...though I'm dismayed after seeing these posts.

Did anyone solve this yet????

12. hunts

hunts Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Illinois
    seriously check the video settings after you hook it up via composite. This was my problem. The tivo set the video setting to 480i which my TV could not display after I unplugged/plugged in my HDMI cable.

13. Eccles

Eccles Mostly harmless

Dec 27, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Is the D62U Sharp HDMI 1.3? I have a similar problem tryint to hook up my Dlink Media Player to my Sharp LC-52D64U, which is HDMI 1.3, via HDMI. Turns out that the Dlink was designed before HDMI 1.3 was around, and cannot handle the new protocols being sent by the Sharp TV. Hopefully the HD TiVo isn't in the same category, because I've just pulled the trigger on one and I'm already using the component inputs for the Dlink!

14. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    How did you come to this conclusion? That makes no sense as an HDMI 1.3 display is backwards compatible with older HDMI devices. If it doesn't work it is because of some bug, not because HDMI 1.3 inherently has new "protocols" that can't be handled.

15. Eccles

Eccles Mostly harmless

Dec 27, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Several folks on the AVS forum reported the same problem with various newer HDTV's. Some folks with other brands were able to disable the newer features that HDMI 1.3 provides, and get theirs working with the Dlink DSM-520, but unfortunately that option is unavailable on the Sharp Aquos D64U's.

After an initial period of disbelief, the problem was eventually acknowledged by one of the Dlink firmware developers who frequents the AVS forums. Unfortunately, he recently told us that this may never be addressed in the DSM-520. Hopefully the THD is a little more flexible in this regard, if indeed this is the same problem.

That's what we all thought at first, too. I don't pretend to know the low-level details; all I can tell you is "the sh1t's broke!"

16. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    It sounds to me like the DSM-520 is not properly ignoring EDID information it doesn't understand.

The HDMI 1.3 auto-negotiation does not change the existing data structures. It has extensions for the new features. The DSM-520 should be ignoring those extensions since it doesn't understand them.

So the only 2 places I can see a problem is if DSM-520 chooses to barf when it sees EDID info it doesn't recognize or the HDMI 1.3 TV is not providing the basic configuration information when the extensions are used.

Both of these are bugs, the first is with the source device, and the second is with the sink device.

My comment is this is a bug with a specific HDMI implementation and should not be extrapolated to conclude that it is a generic design problem with HDMI < 1.3 source devices interacting with HDMI 1.3 sink devices. Of course it is a possibility the problem also exists with TiVo but more investigation would be needed before that conclusion is drawn.

BTW the D62 is not an HDMI 1.3 device. In particular it doesn't support xvycc like your D64 so it is doubtful it would be indicating support in the EDID, so it is unlikely that is what is tripping up TiVo HD for the OP.

It could still be an auto-negotiation related problem, just not likely it is an HDMI 1.3 auto-negotiation related problem.

17. cmshep222

cmshep222 Member

Feb 18, 2005
    OK...not sure what this has to do with the Sony 52XBR4. Not sure what type of HDMI the Sony has.

Just a follow-up...I tried changing the HD Tivo Video output settings to every type (meaning I tried every setting available) and this did NOT solve the HDMI problem. HDMI goes black when it hits "Almost there" when booting up.

Guess I'll see what happens when my replacement HD Tivo arrives.

18. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    Lots of HDTV's don't support 480i over HDMI. My Samsung doesn't. That is why I use the Hybrid mode which converts 480i to 480p but leaves 720p and 1080i alone.

19. cmshep222

cmshep222 Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Update (3-10-08) from my end...setting up "replacement" Tivo now and HDMI works perfectly on my Sony XBR4 TV. Went through the entire boot process and setup...now watching Live (Tivo) TV through the HDMI port.

So, looks like I just had a lemon Tivo unit before. Anyone else with this issue on the HD Tivo may want to consider going down the "replacement machine" route.

Tivo handled this process "free of charge". Kudos for good customer service.

20. cmshep222

cmshep222 Member

Feb 18, 2005
    3-11 update.

Moved Cablecard to new Tivo. Comcast changed the HOST ID on their end...to that of the new "replacement" HD TIVO. All is working perfectly through HDMI.

Life is good in Tivo-land!