TivoHD has blank channels after time

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by hartwig, Sep 12, 2007.

1. hartwig

hartwig New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    I recently bought a TivoHD and had two motorola single stream cable cards installed by the cable company. After he installed them the channels all seemed to come up correctly, so i did the guided setup again as the instructions say to do and left for a while, when i came back i noticed some of the channels were blank (Black Screen). I figured maybe i needed to reset the box and they would come back. Once the box reset, the channels worked again for a short period of time. I am recieving most of the lower channels, but most if not all of the HD channels after a short time just go to blank screen on both of my cable cards. It is not always the same channels that go out from what i can tell. After numerous restarts to get the channels working and only having them go out again i am getting frustrated. I browsed some of the posts on here and a troubleshooting guide was put up by a user reguarding pairing and validation. I looked through all the steps and from what i can tell both of my cards are paired and validated correctly. I am hoping someone else has had this problem and found a fix or what the next step i should take is. I am not thinking it is the cable card because it recieves the channels fine for a while before they go blank. This is my first step taken as the tivo support is closed tonight and hte second cable guy i had out didn't know what he was doing. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Sounds like a cable card issue

I had the same problem until the cards were replaced

Seems like there is always some issue to deal with when a Tivo is in play

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Or could it be the cable company? :)

4. SuperEgo19

SuperEgo19 New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    I have the same exact situation with my Comcast cards, except I have a good signal on one and the other card's signal comes in scrambled or not at all, but both card's signal strength is in the 90s and all information about the channel and the program come up, without video or audio. Also, I have some channels that have never worked, but the good thing is that my HD channels seem to come through okay on the first card. I am aggravated about this whole situation. I had to spend 30 minutes arguing with the dumb ass cable guy who said he was not authorized to put the cable cards in the Tivo. He basically sat on my couch while I installed the freaking cards myself. The damn yokel doesn't need to be working if he doesn't knw how it works. The diagnostics on the cards are showing everything is working properly. The signal strength is great. So what the hell is up with the black screens? Does the HDMI connection have anything to do with it?

5. notsky

notsky New Member

Mar 11, 2008
    cool name, "superEgo".... may copy that on another forum ;)

I too do not get all my channels on my Tivo HD... some of my regular digital channels do not come in. I also have a regular Comcast (Houston) digital cable box in my bedroom and i DO recieve those channels.

I'm running my setup with a single multi-stream card.... component out 720p hybrid (so hdmi would be no issue with me).

searched the forum and found you guys, looks like its an unsolved issue. guess i will try another cable card.

6. d j h

d j h New Member

Jan 30, 2008
    TiVo Series3 HD
    Same with me (after a period of successful watching on Comcast ... black screen on HD channels ESPNHD, UHD, MTVHD, MoJo, etc. ... on card No. 2).
    After several calls, card replacement visits, I got a hold of a tech who said, "Oh, wait, we just got an email that says to go to "Test Channels" and select either 96 or 97. If they show up (they did), now restart your TiVo." It worked.
    It works every time!
    For a while.
    Then back to the same routine.
    I find myself constantly mistrusting that second cablecard when I have 2 shows selected to record that overlap, but at least this is a temp fix.