TivoHD Hard Drive and Cable Card Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Status, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Status

Status New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    I currently have a TivoHD with a 1TB drive and two Comcast cable cards installed and working with monthly service (3 year $6.95 monthly contract that they won't do a Lifetime transfer on).

Question #1:
    If I buy a new TivoHD, can I take the 1TB drive out of the old TivoHD and put it in the new TivoHD without doing a reformat or any sort of data transfer? Will my favorites be transferred? Eg, does the TivoHD pair with an internal HD or is it just data storage?

Question #2:
    If I buy a new TivoHD can I just transfer the already activated cable cards from my old TivoHD and put them in the new TivoHD w/o Comcast coming out for a service call?

-Status

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    1: You can. It won't need formatted, but you will have to C&DE to marry the drive to the new system, consequently erasing your recordings and settings and things. The HDD is paired with the crypto chip, and a C&DE re-pairs it with a new system with a new crypto chip.

2:The cards will need paired with the new TiVo. Likely you can do that with a phone call to your provider.

3. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Q1:
    No format, but no saved data
    No
    Paired with internal

Q2:
    Probably not. In virtually all Comcast systems the cards are paired with the host. This will have to be re-done.

4. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    Q1: No Idea

Q2: They will need to be repaired. But since you already have the cards you will not need a service tech to come out. All you will need to do is call your cable company and hopefully get someone who knows what they are doing.

5. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    My question: Why do you need to swap hard drives between two identical machines? Is one broken?

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    My guess is the OP wants product Lifetime, cannot convert the current commitment on the current DVR to Lifetime, so is getting a new TiVoHD for it, and will liquidate the old one with its Prepay.

7. Nov 7, 2011 #7 of 12
    bsd

bsd New Member

Sep 30, 2002
    New York,...
    I have two Tivo Series 3 DVRs, both with lifetime service (the original Series 3). I've been having trouble with one of the Tivos being able to get instructions from the remote control. It works some times, but not all of the time. It's not the remote, as I've tested other remotes and have the same problem. The hard drive on the one that is having problems has recordings that I want to save and is paired with cable cards.

Here's the question. If I take the hard drive and the cable cards from the problematic Tivo and put them in a working Series 3 Tivo, should the pairing be maintained without having to deal with Time Warner Cable? My understanding is that the cable cards pair with the info on the hard drive and not necesarily with the mother board. Please advise if this is correct.

Thanks,
    Brett

Also, if anyone has any suggestions about the remote control problem (I'm thinking it may be a sensor problem in the Tivo), let me know as well.

8. Nov 7, 2011 #8 of 12
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    It will not work.

The hard drive is "paired" with the motherboard. When you move a hard drive from one Tivo to another, you have to perform a clear & delete for it to work properly. That, of course, will cause you to lose your cablecard pairing and recorded shows.

Have you tried changing the batteries in the remote?

9. Nov 7, 2011 #9 of 12
    bsd

bsd New Member

Sep 30, 2002
    New York,...
    Thanks for the response. Its not a remote issue. I have 3 Tivo remotes and I have the problem with all of them on the one Tivo and none of the remotes have problems with other Tivos. I did a restart on the problem Tivo and it seems to have made the responsiveness to the remote a bit better. I may call Tivo customer services if I continue to have problems with remote control responsiveness.

Thank you for the answer to the other question. It would have made life easier if I could have just switch the drives. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to watch a whole lot of TV and movies. ; )

-Brett

10. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It may be that it's not the S3 itself with the problem with the remote, but the software on the hard drive (which probably means hard drive trouble creeping up).

The way to move a hard drive from one TiVo to another of the same model and save the recordings is, only if it's an original Series 3 or older, to also move the crypto chip (which is where the TiVo Service Number is stored) from one motherboard to another.

That's not something you want to do if you can possible avoid it.

If the shows you want to save haven't been flagged no-copy by TWC, you can transfer them to the other TiVo, or, better yet from the standpoint of saving almost all of the meta-data attached to those shows, you can install TiVo Desktop (the free version) on a computer running Windows XP or newer and stash those shows on an NTFS formatted partition (to get around the 4GB per file limitation of FAT32, which turns a Best Quality SD 2 hour show into a 1 hour, 55 minute show), and then transfer them from there to the other TiVo or back to the original when you get it straightened out, or both.

11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    It sounds like it could be the IR controller board. On one of my S1s, I had the IR controller board go bad (somehow).. and I eventually bought another one, I think off of eBay, and it fixed my issue.

12. cwb3106

cwb3106 Member

Jan 18, 2010
    What are the problems with the remote? Are commands ignored or misinterpreted? If ignored, does the front panel light blink?

IR interference from other sources in the room can cause intermittent remote function.

In my case, at certain times of the day (near sunset) my remote will stop working. Symptoms are that the front panel light does not blink -- indicating that the TiVo is not seeing the remote at all. When this happens, neither my universal remote nor the TiVo remote work. I can restore function by shielding the front panel with my hand while using the remote. I think the interference is from sunlight coming through a side window.

A friend of mine has had a similar problem with her TiVo. Turning on the room lights fixes the problem for her.

I've read that some TVs can interfere with the TiVo remote, something to do with the TV adjusting the backlight for ambient light conditions. Turning off automatic backlight adjustment solves this problem.

If this is your problem, a new TiVo might not help. You could try swapping your TiVo's to see if the problem is with the TiVo or location. You could then try to adjust the room lighting or add shielding the TiVo front panel (e.g., shade the sensor with an index card).