TiVoHD Gateway not found mystery

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jmbissell, May 23, 2008.

1. jmbissell

jmbissell Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Greenville, SC

Advertisements

I've been using my TiVoHD connected via an Airlink wireless access client to my D-Link DI-624 router for several months. Everything has been working fine with no network errors or hiccups. I decided to try a HomePlug/Powerline adapter instead since I already have a PowerLine network for some other devices in the house.

When I connected the TiVoHD to the PowerLine adapter, I got a "gateway not found" message. My router log indicated that the TiVo had requested and been assigned an IP address and the TiVo network status showed the correct IP address (192.168.0.108) and gateway info (192.168.0.1). I rebooted the TiVo but still no luck.

I then decided to try a direct connection from the TiVo's Ethernet port to my router. Again got the "gateway not found" error. I could ping the TiVo but it wouldn't connect to the TiVo service.Decided to give up and go back to wireless. Connected the wireless access point client and immediately got a network connection to the TiVo service.

So, for whatever reason, it appears that a wired connection does not work while a wireless one does. I don't see anything starnge in terms of my router configuration and all other wired and wirsless devices connect properly. I cannot see how the TiVo sees anything different among the three envornments (access point client, wired Ethernet, and (wired) PowerLine).

Any ideas on things to check/try?

2. Brute

Brute Member

May 14, 2004
    Richmond, VA
    I get that same error pretty frequently on my two s2s via tivo wireless adapters. Only way I've found to resolve it is rerun the network config. I always assumed it had to do with either the low signal strength in that part of the house or the fact that the router is pretty old and could be ready to kick.

I'm curious to see if you find something wrong with the tivo, since you're seeing the same issue over wired.

3. jmbissell

jmbissell Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Greenville, SC
    I've basically run out of ideas. I tried connecting it through a switch and then uplinking the switch via both PowerLine and straight to my router. No dice. I've done network config several times to no avail. I can't believe that something so simple doesn't work. Every other wired device on my network is fine.

4. jmbissell

jmbissell Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Greenville, SC
    I played around with this a bit more today. First I tried using a Linksys BEFSR41 cable/DSL router (wired) that I had lying around. The connection from the TiVo HD worked right away. I then reset my D-Link DI-624 to factory defaults and connected the TiVo to one of its Ethernet ports. It found the TiVo service just fine.

I then started playing with the settings on the D-Link. After a lot of experimentation, I found that the failure scenario was when the router's wireless security was set for WPA-PSK (the way I normally run). If I turned off the wireless or set the security to Open or WEP, it connected fine on the Ethernet port. As soon as I enabled WPA-PSK, I got the "gateway not found" message.

All in all, this makes no sense to me. I have several wired and wireless devices connected to the router with no issues. I can easily connect my laptop wired or wireless and see no issues. I don't have another wireless router to play with so I'll assume that this is something peculiar to the D-Link and whatever handshaking goes on to establish a "gateway" for the TiVo HD. What a wireless security setting has to do with a wired connection is beyond me.

I never did get the PowerLine connection to work.

5. cuzza

cuzza New Member

Apr 8, 2011

Advertisements

I've been getting this message very regularly over wireless ever since I swapped from packet filtering via mac address to WPA2. Before I applied the security it was fine, I never got this message. Seems like buggy software that it stops trying to reconnect if you have security applied.